Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Our Review

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Staff Writer Donna Desborough takes us into the world of Middle Earth for this review of the just-released MMORPG from Turbine, Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar.

J.R.R. Tolkien created a world that is loved by millions around the world. Turbine has re-created his world for us to play in. Turbine's rendition of Middle Earth is a much awaited game that has many on the edge of their seats. Is it as good as our imaginations?

Actors, take your places!

In the grand scheme of the story, you the player are not the hero. The heroes from the books are still in place, you don't replace them. The player's place in the overall story is that of a supporting role. You are the Free Peoples. All of the unsung heroes and the supporting troops, that is us, the players.

As you go through the quests the story of individuals and yourself will unfold. Your part in the world may seem small in comparison to others, such as Frodo and Samwise, but your story will be just as important.

Read the entire review here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Agreed it's a wonderful game.

But for a veteran mmo player it's same old same old, and I for one am looking for something new.

I mean really how many EQ and WoW clones must we endure?

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    First! - Edit: dang, only second :D

No offense, for a review that was a bit short for such a big game. I would like to see what you have to say at e.g. higher levels and different areas, if you still find all those details as you describe them.

It's not what I wanted or expected, but it seems a solid game, so if you can live with some of the "faults" (e.g. I find the minig nodes in the middle of nowhere, say a vegetable field in the shire, a bit, well, too much...)  then it should be okay.

we'll see how it goes. the launch at least in the EU seemed quite smooth.

imageimage

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400

hmm i checked the other games rattings given by you guys, and most of them over 8 and why only 7.8 for LOTRO, you guys have something against this game? is this game worse then, eq2, wow, gw, daoc,coh,cov, etc?
  • ArunArun Member UncommonPosts: 52
    More a description than a review.

Originally posted by shukes33
    Grind is not one of the downfalls of DF it is just a feature.

Originally posted by Arun

More a description than a review.

yep but they  rate it 7.8 wich is extremaly low.
  • KostikaKostika Staff WriterMember Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Quingu

hmm i checked the other games rattings given by you guys, and most of them over 8 and why only 7.8 for LOTRO, you guys have something against this game? is this game worse then, eq2, wow, gw, daoc,coh,cov, etc?

I do my best to give a realistic score.

Donna Desborough
    Staff Writer
    www.mmorpg.com

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I am all over this game. I love it.

It's an EQ clone. That's obvious. But it's done well, and it looks good. The combat and crafting systems are solid and stable. Quality game.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

well you gave an 8 on graphics did you instaled the high resolution graphics? because this game graphics are  superior to eq2.
  • Sound must of gotten a 7 due to the constant bear noises chasing her! They say they fixed it, but I heard a bear in Bree today!

sorry but this review rating is BS, the game is bug free,  all servers running at release day no crashes, how come they come with a review after a few hours of playing?
  • Gangster-ManGangster-Man Member Posts: 143
    man all the fanbois whining for opinions written in a review. Get over it guys, not everyone will see eye to eye on this.
  • ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

sorry but this review rating is BS, the game is bug free,  all servers running at release day no crashes, how come they come with a review after a few hours of playing?
    Cry me a river.

I've been plaing for the last 10 days on the pre-release EU servers which have now become the retail servers. Plus I also did beta for many months and was familiar with many of the features already.

Donna Desborough
    Staff Writer
    www.mmorpg.com

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

I hardly call this a review, it read like a game description to me and wondered if the writer even played the game considering her scores. Also Dwarves are male only.

The graphic detail is the best out there atm, so wonder where your score came from.

The game is solid, polished and the smoothest launch I have ever seen. LOTRO is an amazing game! The monster play option is also player vs player, which the writer did not mention.

Originally posted by Kostika

I've been plaing for the last 10 days on the pre-release EU servers which have now become the retail servers. Plus I also did beta for many months and was familiar with many of the features already.

well you should play it again, since you don't even have the graphics high resolution CD, please get it instal and then rate the graphics again.

You played the beta not the release ;)
  • pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    Originally posted by Vyce

I hardly call this a review, it read like a game description to me and wondered if the writer even played the game considering her scores. Also Dwarves are male only.
    The graphic detail is the best out there atm, so wonder where your score came from.
    The game is solid, polished and the smoothest launch I have ever seen. LOTRO is an amazing game! The monster play option is also player vs player, which the writer did not mention.

God forbid someone doesn't find the game perfect.

Even with the high resolution client the animations are still awkward. Yes the photos look nice but when seeing it in action it's a different story.

• I didn't read one bad thing about the game and it is given a 7.8? how is that a review? I don't care about the rating but you have to explain your reasons. Like sound, you gave it a 7 but said nothing bad about it... ???

what kind of review is this...

well you should play it again, since you don't even have the graphics high resolution CD, please get it instal and then rate the graphics again.

You played the beta not the release ;) I have had the high res pack for the last month. And it is installed. My score of the graphics is a realistic one that doesn't jsut encompass if they're pretty at high resolution. It is a score based on an overall look at the graphics.

You are assuming I don't like the game. I do like it. I have a lifetime membership. But in my reviews I will not be unrealistic in my scoring. I am not a fanboy.

Donna Desborough
    Staff Writer
    www.mmorpg.com

• we3sterwe3ster Member Posts: 355
    First of all, I don't play LOTRO and I have no intention of doing so. I do find this review very strange for three reasons:-

1) The game only released yesterday. Is this a review after a day's play of the final release or the beta?

2) If you can get this review for LOTRO out so quickly, where is your review of Vanguard? If LOTRO was given the time frame it seems Vanguard is getting, LOTRO would have probably had 2 FREE CONTENT ADDITIONS by that time knowing Turbine.

3) I play and love DDO and this site  gave DDO's graphics a score of 9 which I agree with. How can LOTRO get an 8? They are at least on an equal par with DDO! I left EQ2 to go to DDO and one of the reasons was DDO's far superior graphics and art direction!

You must not leave until you free Arlos and have gathered your party safely in this hallway.

• VotaryVotary Member Posts: 32

How can you rate the community and service as a whole if you played on the EU servers? You should at least state that in your review.

Also, from a purely subjective stand point, I don't think the review matches the scores given. The "review" really doens't have much bad to say about the game. 7.8 just doesn't seem to match what's written at all.

It's probably a different take on the rating system, but god, AO got an 8.8 on this website... How can LOTRO be lower than Anarchy Online?... When you write for a well-known website, you have to be consistent in your scores, and you HAVE to take into account of what else's been given out on the site before.
    Originally posted by we3ster

First of all, I don't play LOTRO and I have no intention of doing so. I do find this review very strange for three reasons:-

1) The game only released yesterday. Is this a review after a day's play of the final release or the beta?

2) If you can get this review for LOTRO out so quickly, where is your review of Vanguard? If LOTRO was given the time frame it seems Vanguard is getting, LOTRO would have probably had 2 FREE CONTENT ADDITIONS by that time knowing Turbine.

3) I play and love DDO and this site  gave DDO's graphics a score of 9 which I agree with. How can LOTRO get an 8? They are at least on an equal par with DDO! I left EQ2 to go to DDO and one of the reasons was DDO's far superior graphics and art direction!
    1)Please see my above comment regarding how long I've been playing.

2) I don't know. I haven't been asked to cover Vanguard.

3) I also have a DDO account. I agree, it's a good game and looks lovely. I try not to compare games when giving scores.

Donna Desborough
    Staff Writer
    www.mmorpg.com

Originally posted by Votary

How can you rate the community and service as a whole if you played on the EU servers? You should at least state that in your review.

I researched and spoke with players on the US servers also in order to get a good view of both communities to give a fair score overall.

Donna Desborough
    Staff Writer
    www.mmorpg.com

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

You played the beta not the release ;)I have had the high res pack for the last month. And it is installed. My score of the graphics is a realistic one that doesn't jsut encompass if they're pretty at high resolution. It is a score based on an overall look at the graphics.

You are assuming I don't like the game. I do like it. I have a lifetime membership. But in my reviews I will not be unrealistic in my scoring. I am not a fanboy.

Since the review did not have a  pro/con format, it is hard to tell what you liked and disliked about the game that led you to your realistic scores.  Your opinion is of course valid, just would have liked to see where you drew your conclusions from since this was a review for us.
  • kabanakabana Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Vyce

No,  she's right about dwarves.  In LOTR, Gimli says something to the point that both male and female dwarves look similar, starting the myth that dwarves grow from the stone.  So if you choose a dwarf, it will look the same regardless.  It's up to you to say what gender you are.  It's pretty funny that the game did that.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Originally posted by we3ster

1)Please see my above comment regarding how long I've been playing.

2) I don't know. I haven't been asked to cover Vanguard.

3) I also have a DDO account. I agree, it's a good game and looks lovely. I try not to compare games when giving scores. yes but we give scores on graphics based on other mmo out there and i can tell you i played most of them and i have a very good comp, i always play all games on max settings, and i can assure you that LOTRO graphics deserve at least a 9.