Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Our Review

Comments

• redelf07redelf07 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Quingu  

i totaly agree, should be there a new review from the game after release not this BS beta review, never saw this happening with other MMO's  a review like this on first release day. Vanguard don't even have a review 3 months after lunch, something smells here...lol
    Your absolutely right, Sigil must have paid MMORPG.com $100,000,000 so they wouldn't right a review for another 6 months. Its probably another scheme by a multimillion dollar corporation to scare away the thoughts in the back of your head that this game might actually beat WoW one day. Oh wait, Sigils broke and your game got a 7.8. Deal with it.

E8400@ 4.0Ghz ~ Saphire HD 4870 ~ 6GB DDR2@ 860MhZ

• DzhokharDzhokhar Member Posts: 1
    Based on my (very limited) experience with the beta, I can't really disagree with the scores.  However, this is a terribly written review.  It reads like a preview based on a press release.  I played the beta for about 10 hours during the world tour and I could say a LOT more about the actual game experience.  Furthermore, none of the comments in the review do anything to justify the score given.  In fact, from reading the review I was amazed that not a single (even minor) criticism was made, and based on the text of the review I would have aexpected a score in the mid to high 9s.

I just don't get it.
  • Zech4Zech4 Member Posts: 80

i was kinda pissed at gamespy they gave wow a 5/5 but yet they only gave elder scrolls oblivion a 4/5 and yet elder scrolls was the game of the year for 2006 i dunno but thats what i saw on gamespy and in my opinion oblivion might just be the best game out!

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by redelf07

Wow, you guys bitch about everyone don't you. The game got a graphics rating of 8 because thats what it deserved. I think he was being generous with that. Some of you are telling him to compare to other games, then fine. Oblivion gets a 9.2, what does LOTRO get? It would be fair at a 7. The graphics aren't that fantastic. They enviroments really do look nice, the water looks nice, the trees look good, but the terrain is just flat. Its like nothing is rounded. Kinda like the terrain in WoW, but with moving grass and higher res textures. If he gave every game like this a 10/10 what would happen when games like AoC come out? He can't go any higher, and we already know that its graphics are far superior to LOTRO. Just because your beloved game didn't get a 10/10, which it really doesn't deserve IMO(not that it matters), doesn't mean you need to flame the review and scream out for a more biased one in favor of your opinions. Remember, were not in school anymore. A 78% isn't going to get you yelled at my mom and dad. Its a GOOD score.

Personally, I couldn't care less about this review or any other, and I'll play LOTRO for a while, and then probably move on to something else.  Still, you are wrong to compare LOTRO and Oblivion because one is a MMO and the other is a single player game.  Let's compare apples to apples.  What CURRENTLY RELEASED MMO has better graphics than LOTRO?  I haven't found  it.  And if you're going to compare it to AoC which isn't due out for months yet, I hope no game is ever given a 10, because there will always be something new and better coming in the future.

While we're at it, what of the other games reviewed on MMORPG that have received a 9 or 10 in the graphics department?  How will they affect AoC's rating?  Answer:  Not at all.  They were 9 or 10 in their day, and then technology moved on.  Same thing here.  TODAY, LOTRO is a high 9 in my opinion.  Maybe a 10.  The only animation that I'm not happy with is the run animation.  That's pretty petty in the whole scheme of things.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Arun

More a description than a review.

completely agree

is there gonna be a real review from a (hopefully) different writer after playing the game for at least a couple/three weeks?

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Originally posted by redelf07

Wow, you guys bitch about everyone don't you. The game got a graphics rating of 8 because thats what it deserved. I think he was being generous with that. Some of you are telling him to compare to other games, then fine. Oblivion gets a 9.2, what does LOTRO get? It would be fair at a 7. The graphics aren't that fantastic. They enviroments really do look nice, the water looks nice, the trees look good, but the terrain is just flat. Its like nothing is rounded. Kinda like the terrain in WoW, but with moving grass and higher res textures. If he gave every game like this a 10/10 what would happen when games like AoC come out? He can't go any higher, and we already know that its graphics are far superior to LOTRO. Just because your beloved game didn't get a 10/10, which it really doesn't deserve IMO(not that it matters), doesn't mean you need to flame the review and scream out for a more biased one in favor of your opinions. Remember, were not in school anymore. A 78% isn't going to get you yelled at my mom and dad. Its a GOOD score.

Personally, I couldn't care less about this review or any other, and I'll play LOTRO for a while, and then probably move on to something else.  Still, you are wrong to compare LOTRO and Oblivion because one is a MMO and the other is a single player game.  Let's compare apples to apples.  What CURRENTLY RELEASED MMO has better graphics than LOTRO?  I haven't found  it.  And if you're going to compare it to AoC which isn't due out for months yet, I hope no game is ever given a 10, because there will always be something new and better coming in the future.

While we're at it, what of the other games reviewed on MMORPG that have received a 9 or 10 in the graphics department?  How will they affect AoC's rating?  Answer:  Not at all.  They were 9 or 10 in their day, and then technology moved on.  Same thing here.  TODAY, LOTRO is a high 9 in my opinion.  Maybe a 10.  The only animation that I'm not happy with is the run animation.  That's pretty petty in the whole scheme of things.

A game released now and a game released in a couple of months should be used for comparison. They are in the same generation, therefore should be able to compete against eachother. We've already seen videos of AoC. The graphics are better, so my point stands. There would be no room to improve on what was previously rated by a game 3 months prior.

But you're right, saying DAoC and WoW both got 9's in funness doesn't mean they are equally fun now. But when games are so close to eachother...

Originally posted by Dzhokhar

Based on my (very limited) experience with the beta, I can't really disagree with the scores.  However, this is a terribly written review.  It reads like a preview based on a press release.  I played the beta for about 10 hours during the world tour and I could say a LOT more about the actual game experience.  Furthermore, none of the comments in the review do anything to justify the score given.  In fact, from reading the review I was amazed that not a single (even minor) criticism was made, and based on the text of the review I would have aexpected a score in the mid to high 9s.

I just don't get it.
    I agree. The stated opinions in the review don't equal out the score it got, but I'm not disagreeing with it at all. I think its a good game. It could be better IMO- PVP, Better combat, Housing, larger world, and maybe a few others. What Turbine did add to the game was very well done, but IN MY OPINION, I don't think they added enough. BTW, when did they start working on this? DDO came out just a few years ago.

Originally posted by Yeebo

Shouldn't the major point of a review be to describe a game in enough detail that you can decide whether you might be interested in playing it?   Why is the review being criticized for being too descriptive?  I would say it was a well written nicely detailed review, personally.  I don't see what would have been added to it had the author chosen to go on a rant about some random minor detail or come off like a drooling fanboy (tt's teh best..WoOT!).   The tone of the review was pretty positive if you actually read it...

that's exactly what it is - a description

what character(s) did the reviewer play?

what class?

solo questing only?

join a fellowship?

get to lvl 10 and start monster play?

get out of noobie area?

any crafting?

which area if any?

any major issues?

WE DON'T KNOW

"review" should be removed - period

"writer" should be removed - period

and yes, the tone was pretty positve so where did the score come from?

again WE DON'T KNOW

• GrimshokGrimshok Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Any time the person 'ranking' / scoring the game states that they try not to compare it to other games, its completely ASININE! 
  • pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    Originally posted by gatheris

Shouldn't the major point of a review be to describe a game in enough detail that you can decide whether you might be interested in playing it?   Why is the review being criticized for being too descriptive?  I would say it was a well written nicely detailed review, personally.  I don't see what would have been added to it had the author chosen to go on a rant about some random minor detail or come off like a drooling fanboy (tt's teh best..WoOT!).   The tone of the review was pretty positive if you actually read it...

what class?

solo questing only?

join a fellowship?

get out of noobie area?

any crafting?

which area if any?

any major issues?

WE DON'T KNOW

again WE DON'T KNOW

I don't know why you are pissed off, it's a decent score. Though as a Lord of the Rings fanboy you'd have been pissed by any score other then a perfect 10.
    Originally posted by pb1285n

what class?

solo questing only?

join a fellowship?

get out of noobie area?

any crafting?

which area if any?

any major issues?

WE DON'T KNOW

again WE DON'T KNOW

I don't know why you are pissed off, it's a decent score. Though as a Lord of the Rings fanboy you'd have been pissed by any score other then a perfect 10.

cute response - but no

i'm just trying to find the review in this "review"

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Honestly, I think this was a very good preview. & for those of you smacking around the ratings system, you know mmorpg has several different writers who take on game several different ways. I don't bother to look at the bottom line anymore, rather I spend my time on the review itself. This one was very detailed, and obviously came from someone who enjoyed their time in game. Drop the bottom line in ratings fan boys, it is *our* ratings that matter here. MMORPG shows this by ranking by our rate and not the author, who by the way did a very nice job here.

I might actually purchase this thing, which would be my first mmo launch purchase since swg.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Originally posted by pb1285n

what class?

solo questing only?

join a fellowship?

get out of noobie area?

any crafting?

which area if any?

any major issues?

WE DON'T KNOW

again WE DON'T KNOW

cute response - but no

i'm just trying to find the review in this "review"

He's a noob, cut him some slack. Everyone knows the follow up reviews will answer his questions. If he doesn't like it, he can always go back to Vanguard and DnL.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Since when did a score become a review? A score is based on given criteria, then (normally) explained in a review. This is NOT a review, it's a description, so how can the non-existent review be fair? I couldn't care less for LoTR:O, but this thread in its entirety is embarrassing...
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Not a 10 out of 10? HOW THIS IS MADNESS!!!!

j/k lol Fair Score imo.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• QuinguQuingu Member Posts: 400

ok here the prove that something is very wrong with this review.

LOTRO mmorpg graphics  rating  8

guild wars mmorpg graphics  rating  9

eq2   mmorpg   graphics  rating         9

WOW  mmorpg  graphics  rating   10

DAOC  mmorpg graphics  rating   9

DDO mmorpg graphics  rating     9

ok i could post more, but this is enough, so this means LOTRO as the worst graphics? DDO is the same engine and gets a 9, how come WOW gets 10 on graphics? now i see how this review is BS. only one game out there can compete with LOTRO in graphics that game Name is vanguard.
  • ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

This cumulative score was pretty much on the money if not a little generous in the role playing aspect..

LOTRO is a fine lite MMO but please lets try and keep perspective folks. First go play EQII, Lineage II, Guild Wars, WOW & Vanguard then come back and complain about the score.

Not one of those titles deserves a 9.0 heck a 8.5 would be stretching it for any one of them. So ask yourself what does LOTRO bring to the table that one of the above don't?

A fun, lite, polished romp net's you high 7's and low 8's

9's & 10's are reserved for innovation, cutting edge game play,  graphics, audio & THEN polish.

Face it, no title currently on the market achieves this.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

At least it's nice to see a company that understands the concept of releasing a GAME THAT WORKS.

The last couple of over-hyped disasters in the MMORPG industry started to make it seem like the concept of beta-testing had been tossed away. 

NIcely done, Turbine. 

• jdilling00jdilling00 Member Posts: 26

my review of Lord of the rings:

everquest clone, few bugs, you can level up a monster,

-5.7635 random number selected for bitching

lay off the author, she wrote down what she thought was important. If you disagree write your own review

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161846

a nice high score but still not much of an actual gameplay review from the writer

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796
    Originally posted by Kostika

hmm i checked the other games rattings given by you guys, and most of them over 8 and why only 7.8 for LOTRO, you guys have something against this game? is this game worse then, eq2, wow, gw, daoc,coh,cov, etc?

I do my best to give a realistic score.

I gotta disagree with your score of the sound.  The music and soundtrack are incredible.  The sounds within the game bring it to life! 

I think it certainly deserves at least a 9 in sound.

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796
    Originally posted by Kostika

sorry but this review rating is BS, the game is bug free,  all servers running at release day no crashes, how come they come with a review after a few hours of playing?
    I've been plaing for the last 10 days on the pre-release EU servers which have now become the retail servers. Plus I also did beta for many months and was familiar with many of the features already.

I started a topic in the general forum, but maybe you can answer it here?

LOTRO was reviewed on the day it was released.  Vanguard is almost 3 months old, and I can't seem to find a mmorpg.com review on it.

Any reason why?

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by jdilling00

lay off the author, she wrote down what she thought was important. If you disagree write your own review
    There's next to nothing to agree OR disagree with in that "review", because it isn't a review; it's a description. The author is actually a Staff Member on MMORPG.com and I find that - fasten your seat belts - quite disturbing. She was supposed to write a review for the highly anticipated MMO that "everyone" goes apesh*t over, but failed miserably. Something didn't go according to plan, whatever the plan was... I find it very interesting that the person that got the task of writing the review obviously doesn't know how to write a review.

[UPDATED]
  • LothalimLothalim Member Posts: 6
    I have played LOTRO:SoA since November, and honestly must say I have had countless hours of fun doing so.  Why the OP would rate only a 7.8 is something I don't understand, but do respect her opinion. 

I have played the game from levels 1 to 50. on the US beta servers.  For me, the game should be rated at least 8.5.  Yes, there are things I don't like about LOTRO, but those are really few, and many have already been addressed by Turbine during the beta.  During my initial climb to 50, the last 5 levels were pure grind, but with Turbine's record of releasing new content and updates, I'm sure that will be changing in the very near future, with the Shore of Everdim and other areas unannounced. 

The following is based on the High Res client, which I have been running for over 1 month.

Graphics                 9.5

Fun                           9.0

Sound                      8.7

Community             8.0

Role-Playing           8.0

Performance/Lag   9.0

Value                        8.7

Service                     8.0

Overall Score          8.6

This rating is based on the following system :  AMD 4400 x2 at 2.21 gHz, 2GB DDR2, nVidia GeForce 6800GT x2 with SLI enabled, 8.0MB Cable internet.  All in game settings run at Ultra High 1600x1200 lag free, with the exception of Bree where I do experience minor lag, hence the 9.0 rating.
  • jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by Thorsnes

Originally posted by jdilling00

There's next to nothing to agree OR disagree with in that "review", because it isn't a review; it's a description. The author is actually a Staff Member on MMORPG.com and I find that - fasten your seat belts - quite disturbing. She was supposed to write a review for the highly anticipated MMO that "everyone" goes apesh*t over, but failed miserably. Something didn't go according to plan, whatever the plan was...

Im probably the only other person besides you on this site that understands.

THIS ISNT A REVIEW! It did not have one element of a reveiw in it. There is a fine line between a discription and a reveiw, this is def a discription. Theres no real judgement on the game, its like me eating a ice cream and afterwards someone asking me how it was and I say to them

"well it was vanilla, and it tasted like ice cream, and I used a spoon to eat it with, and while I was eating it, I looked at the sky and wondered about God"

Yea thats what this reviewer did, she ate LOTRO with a spoon and thought about nothing related to the game at all.

-Jive