Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just bought the game, what can I expect?

Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Just bought the game today and haven't installed yet, but have been reading these forums to try to get a feel for what the game is like and what the issues are. 

I've been looking for a game that is a lot like what Earth & Beyond was.  I really liked how E&B was ship centric and not character centric, we have enough of those already.  AA seems to be similar except rather than spaceship, it's your car but same basic principal, I like that.

But just from the little bit of reading and looking at the website, seems like they haven't really stretched it to it's limits yet.  Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about.

I was looking at the website and on page it shows you the various places items can equipped.  Looks like it has a front mounted weapon, a top mounted weapon and a rear weapon.  That's it?  There's so much more room for improvement here.  Where are the side mounted weapons?  Where are the heat seeking missile launchers?  Where are the side mounted spikes that rip thru stuff as you drive by?  If it's there and I'm just not seeing it yet, great, but if it's not there, where is it?

I don't want to say too much because I haven't even installed yet, but at first glance to me it looks like they've only scratched the surface with what's possible and with what people are saying that kinda scares me.  Please tell me I'm off base here.  I really wanted this game to be what I was looking for.

Comments

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Well there aren't any side-mounted guns, but I'm not sure that would be fun to begin with. Sure, you get an extra weapon to fuss over, but it ruins any semblance of balance as it really doesn't matter anymore what side your enemy is on.

There are weapons like you described, and they can be mounted in the various existing weapons slots. For example, there are spikes that can be mounted on the front for extra ramming damage, and missile launchers mounted on the top, and a container mounted on the back to drop mines or tire-popping gadgets.

Having said that, in my opinion the vehicles and the killing action is a blast, but the game really lacks in all other aspects.

• maxstonemaxstone Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Pappy13

Just bought the game today and haven't installed yet, but have been reading these forums to try to get a feel for what the game is like and what the issues are. 
    I've been looking for a game that is a lot like what Earth & Beyond was.  I really liked how E&B was ship centric and not character centric, we have enough of those already.  AA seems to be similar except rather than spaceship, it's your car but same basic principal, I like that.
    But just from the little bit of reading and looking at the website, seems like they haven't really stretched it to it's limits yet.  Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about.
    I was looking at the website and on page it shows you the various places items can equipped.  Looks like it has a front mounted weapon, a top mounted weapon and a rear weapon.  That's it?  There's so much more room for improvement here.  Where are the side mounted weapons?  Where are the heat seeking missile launchers?  Where are the side mounted spikes that rip thru stuff as you drive by?  If it's there and I'm just not seeing it yet, great, but if it's not there, where is it?
    I don't want to say too much because I haven't even installed yet, but at first glance to me it looks like they've only scratched the surface with what's possible and with what people are saying that kinda scares me.  Please tell me I'm off base here.  I really wanted this game to be what I was looking for.
    You really want to know what it's like? 1st, go in with no pre-conception of what to expect. Your either going to really like the game or you won't. There is no middle ground. If your careful you can solo almost the entire game. PvP is limited to the final levels of the game.

There are not enough cars and trick/trim (at least there weren't when I played)..with Update 4 they finally got an AH in the game so crafting isn't quite the crapshoot it used to be. The skill system has been streamlined too so don't believe the manual, 10 levels to all skills.
  • Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by Aethios

Well there aren't any side-mounted guns, but I'm not sure that would be fun to begin with. Sure, you get an extra weapon to fuss over, but it ruins any semblance of balance as it really doesn't matter anymore what side your enemy is on.
    There are weapons like you described, and they can be mounted in the various existing weapons slots. For example, there are spikes that can be mounted on the front for extra ramming damage, and missile launchers mounted on the top, and a container mounted on the back to drop mines or tire-popping gadgets.
    Having said that, in my opinion the vehicles and the killing action is a blast, but the game really lacks in all other aspects.

I think you're missing the point of more weapon slots.  More weapon slots gives you more variety.  Ok, so I can have a missle launcher on top, but then I can't have a gatling gun there, see my point?  Just 3 weapon slots seems rather limited especially when the one in the front and the rear are rather specialized already it seems.  I'm assuming they can really only fire at something in front of you or behind you, correct?  That only leaves one weapon that can fire in every direction.  Or can you have more than just 1 weapon on top?

If you never played E&B, it might be a bit hard to visualize, but in that game as you reached higher levels, you got Hull upgrades that added additional weapon slots.  I think the top end was like 2 weapons on each wing and your main weapon which gave you 5 total.  And they could pretty much fire at anything that was in your front "view".  No, they couldn't fire behind you, but that was part of the strategy, trying to keep your enemy in your front 180, know what I mean?  If you turned tail and ran, you couldn't blast away, so you either chose to run early or not at all.

And ships also had 2 slots that could be a variety of gadgets to either give your weapons a bonus, give you extra speed or so on and so forth.  I'm not seeing these additional slots either.  Ok, you have an engine, 3 weapon slots, a ramming device, tires and armor, but that seems to be about the extent of it.  I hope I'm off base here, its just that what I'm seeing on the website.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Aethios Well there aren't any side-mounted guns, but I'm not sure that would be fun to begin with. Sure, you get an extra weapon to fuss over, but it ruins any semblance of balance as it really doesn't matter anymore what side your enemy is on.
    I think you're missing the point of more weapon slots.  More weapon slots gives you more variety.  Ok, so I can have a missle launcher on top, but then I can't have a gatling gun there, see my point?  Just 3 weapon slots seems rather limited especially when the one in the front and the rear are rather specialized already it seems.  I'm assuming they can really only fire at something in front of you or behind you, correct?  That only leaves one weapon that can fire in every direction.  Or can you have more than just 1 weapon on top?
    If you never played E&B, it might be a bit hard to visualize, but in that game as you reached higher levels, you got Hull upgrades that added additional weapon slots.  I think the top end was like 2 weapons on each wing and your main weapon which gave you 5 total.  And they could pretty much fire at anything that was in your front "view".  No, they couldn't fire behind you, but that was part of the strategy, trying to keep your enemy in your front 180, know what I mean?  If you turned tail and ran, you couldn't blast away, so you either chose to run early or not at all.
    And ships also had 2 slots that could be a variety of gadgets to either give your weapons a bonus, give you extra speed or so on and so forth.  I'm not seeing these additional slots either.  Ok, you have an engine, 3 weapon slots, a ramming device, tires and armor, but that seems to be about the extent of it.  I hope I'm off base here, its just that what I'm seeing on the website.

They aren't as specialized as you seem to think. The front and top weapons each have their various weapon types (both include gatling guns) and each type of weapon has a cone of fire which you need to keep the NPCs in while shooting them. The size of the cone depends on the weapon type. It's just that, for the top gun, that cone can be moved to react to your target, while that's not true for the front and back.

Also, don't forget that the car itself is an "item" that can be upgraded, just like anything else on the vehicle, and armor slot items can also give bonuses to specific types of damage, I believe. You're also forgetting about the "hazard" item, which depends a lot on your race. They have various effects on them as well, including (but not limited to) the awesome "Hazard Mode" craziness that you should check out ASAP.

• HeLL_SNXHeLL_SNX Member Posts: 239

You are right in thinking that this game has a lot of potential. It does and its scary when you think about how many more things that could be introduced.

Whats even scarier is the fact that the devs actually listen to the playerbase and and run polls regularily to find out what we really want.

Apparently this is not so common in other MMOG's. SO I feel like I'm onto a winner.

WHy?

As I said, the huge potential.. This game already rocks for me. OF course there are things that could be improved upon, and I expect they will be.

As for weapons, yes they are limited atm to ;

Front mount

Turret mount

Front Melee

REar Drop

These are the slots aloocated to your chassis.

Weps also come with gadget slots (some lower level weps may not).

The front wep as mentioned is dependant on you manouvering your chassis so as to get the target within your front wep 'tac-arc' (the radius of the wep). The turret 'locks' onto a target you select or a target that fires upon you. The current target can also be toggled via the TAB button.

Rear wep is deployed via the ALT button and comes in a variety of damage dealing or slowing types.

Caltrops, flaming oil slicks, military spikes, mines, seeker mines.

There are also a number of 'consumable' damage dealing things llike mini-nukes that can be thrown at your target.

SOme do AOE type damage.

WHilst I don't forsee much of an expansion on the current chassis wep slot system, I'm not ruling it out.

If the playerbase agrees on it, the devs will listen most of the time.

The last few updates have been focussed on sorting out the MAIN problems and glitches in the game, rather than introducing new things which would also come with their own new bugs and neccessary tweaks.

Now that most of the 'old problems' have been mostly dealt  with, we can look forward to more new features.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the game and who knows , if you hang around and become a part of our community , you could help influence new ideas into the game aswell.

SOme people like to play a game that is 'ready' and this sometimes means that theres no room for new ideas.

The thing I like about this game is that, as you said, theres room for new ideas.

Good luck and cya in the wastelands.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?
    AUTO ASSAULT 14 DAY TRIAL
    "It is the nature of herds that they flock to where there are more of the same not more quality."