Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Wednesday, August 31. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

An MMORPG based on The Dragon Riders and Eragon

vingvegavingvega Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 577Member
I think that would be a pretty good MMORPG.  Think it will ever happen?

Comments

• SnippleSnipple Omaha, NEPosts: 111Member
     Not any time soon. But it would be sweet, raising a dragon, fighting armies with other riders. Caring for your dragon and having it grow.
  • jor8888jor8888 Chicago, ILPosts: 378Member
    Eragon lol its probably the worst dragon movie out for a long time, even dragonheart is way better movie. 
  • SigneSigne All Over, PAPosts: 2,581Member
    It was a book first, you know, although it evidently wasn't all that wonderful either.  It did, however, get better reviews than the film.
  • LydonLydon Cape TownPosts: 2,918Member Uncommon

It would be really cool, except that Harry Potter doesn't even have a MMORPG and its way more popular. Maybe some time in the future though :)

The books were really good imho. The movie just couldn't  show everything the way the book did

• SnippleSnipple Omaha, NEPosts: 111Member
    Originally posted by jor8888

Eragon lol its probably the worst dragon movie out for a long time, even dragonheart is way better movie. 
     The book is 100x better than the movie. Check it out sometime its really addicting
  • vingvegavingvega Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 577Member

Yeah, the movie sucked compared to the book.  The book had Elves, humans, and dwarves.  The movie only had humans.  It was another typical hollywood crap movie.  The book was awesome.  I'm about to read Eldest next.  The second book in the trilogy.

• severiusseverius sacramento, CAPosts: 1,509Member Uncommon
    Dragonriders of Pern would make for an excellent mmo backstory.  Eragon is just too watered down, I am still surprised that the kid who wrote it hasnt gotten busted for plagiarism yet.

• paulscottpaulscott WI rapids, WIPosts: 5,613Member
    considering how popular the little hand held pet thingys were,  I think that'd work.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Rayx0rRayx0r melbourne, FLPosts: 2,902Member
    there was a dragonriders type MMO in development a couple years ago, the name escapes me right now.  Heck, it may have been "Dragonriders"  *shrug*

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • KemenlithKemenlith Allentown, PAPosts: 263Member
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

there was a dragonriders type MMO in development a couple years ago, the name escapes me right now.  Heck, it may have been "Dragonriders"  *shrug*
    There is an old fantasy/sci-fi series about dragonriders. Written in the 1970s, and was where the basic idea for Eragon came from. Completely different magic setup and story though.

I think it would make an interesting MMO especially if they implemented microphones and a system so you could actually say the spells in the ancient language! It would allow for an insane amount of spell customization.

Yes, the movie sucked total d*** compared to the books. Very, very bad.

Currently: Playing EVE Online
    Previous: FFXI, Dragonrealms, sad little stint in WOWland.
    Awaiting: Fallen Earth, Hero''s Journey, Tabula Rasa, Age of Conan.

• stucoolstucool Florence, SCPosts: 134Member
    How about a fresh movie(non fantasy) to MMO? Something like.....Underworld.
  • stickmstickm Vancouver, BCPosts: 219Member

The movie apparently sucked, and the game based on the movie sucked aswell...

Even if the MMO was good it would die to low subcription rates due to fans feeling like it is just going to be more milkage for quick cash.

EDIT: i dont know much about the story... i glanced at it... boy finds baby dragon... boy tries to save empire from evil king or something like that. How exactly does this play into an MMO? obviously everyone will want a dragon and to raise it.... therefore making having a dragon common and NOT specail at all. After 1 week of feeling cool having a dragon your left with the other 99% of the game... whats the other 99% of the game going to be about?

• Originally posted by vingvega

I think that would be a pretty good MMORPG.  Think it will ever happen?

It's too obviouse you gave no thought to how this would translate into a mmorpg. And even worse that the setting it is in... Swords and Sorcery.... is already far too uber-saturated, over-saturated, in the mmorpg market. But I will allow myself to bite anyway......

I recently finnished reading the book. (Book 1, out of the 3 book series.) It truly IS an incredible book. I have not seen the movie yet, but I could tell from the poster of the characters that the movie would not do good. The gross blatant miss-casting of Brom, is one of the more obvious examples. (He's suppose to be roughly 1,000 or more  years old. Not in his 50's LOL!!!).

Sorry, but it is far, far, too late to do a mmorpg based on Eragon, Eldest, and Inheritance. Any movie hype is long gone. And since the movie did not do well, it would actually work against a computer game trying to tie into it. Let the books live, and make money on their own. Any attempt at a mmorpg would be a horrible waste of money, and would drag down the namesake. Tooo many moneymen seem to feel anything can be made into a mmorpg.

Last, get off your lazy butt  and go read up on the book series "Dragonriders of Pern". Yes you read that right, Eragon is nothing original. The idea of a "rider", a "dragonrider", etc.... All the author of that book did is take advantage of the fact that the current generation of 8-25 year old boys and girls have little idea of what books, and computer games, came out in the 1970's, 1980's, and early 1990's. "Dragonriders of Pern" also spawned a few hit computer games too.  Any major bookstore carries the Dragonriders of Pern book series. If any mmorpg based on dragons should be made, then Dragonriders of Pern is first in line. Eragon is n-o-t-h-i-n-g compared to it, no matter how good of a book it is.

I strongly recommend everyone check out the 3 book series starting with Eragon, then Eldest. They are an excellent read. Even though the author basically re-cycled tried and true plots (see Star Wars plot, Lord of Rings Plot, etc...) he still does a bang up job. (And anyone who cares to dig further knows Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings are also recycled plots heheh.)

• vingvegavingvega Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 577Member
    I'll look that book up, Dragonriders of Pern huh.  I never really read a lot of fantasy.  I read Tolkeins stuff and some Forbidden Relam stuff.  I loved Eragon the book and I am reading Eldest now.  The movie was a disgrace to the book.  I'll check Amazon and see if I can grab it.  Thanks!
  • MiNaAuMiNaAu LondonPosts: 382Member
    This wouldn't work because the basic thing is that only the few chosen ones get the dragons, eggs are even more rare so it wouldn't do if there were thousands of dragon riders flying around
  • McIntyre91McIntyre91 MarseillePosts: 1Member

I think everyone agrees that the movies sucked and still does. One can ask if they even read the book or did they just read a summed up version online.

OK so if there ever will be an mmorpg they obviously let everyone be dragonriders. So if they started people out as normal villagers/adventurers and then made a really long and difficult quest finding a dragon egg, then it might be pheesable. That way not everyone will obtain a dragon egg and for those who might want to stay soldiers or magicians or whatever, they can.

But the whole deal has lost momentum so they should wait untill the next book is published or the one after that. Basically saying they have to wait until everyone gets worked up again over a book. On top of that they might actually want to read how the book describes things and people (it would have helped if the movie  went along with the book descriptions and plot)

**Sigh** it'll probably never happen

• Flyte27Flyte27 Greenwich, CTPosts: 3,778Member Uncommon

Before they ever make a Eragon MMO I hope they would make something for Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms.  In perticular something from the Chronicles/Legends or something from the Icewind Dale trilogy.  It seems like two good series of books that never were utilized.

• therain93therain93 Winthrop, MAPosts: 2,039Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Snipple

Originally posted by jor8888

The book is 100x better than the movie. Check it out sometime its really addicting

Originally posted by vingvega

Yeah, the movie sucked compared to the book.  The book had Elves, humans, and dwarves.  The movie only had humans.  It was another typical hollywood crap movie.  The book was awesome.  I'm about to read Eldest next.  The second book in the trilogy.

Eragon and Eldest were faily average books at beast, composed of incredibly blatant cliches.  Anyone who finds them satisfying really hasn't read very much fantasy.

• AuzyAuzy Dallas, TXPosts: 611Member Uncommon

Meh not my cup of tea....Fantasy MMO's are over done...Crispy, burnt....

Uhh... what?

• DeathTheKidXDeathTheKidX carbondale, PAPosts: 1Member

I find it strange that i stumbled upon this. after i go through colledge and get my degree in computer tech i was actually planning on doing a game online based off eragon...with dragon riders and such aswell as a war. Very very strange to see this post if you ask me.