Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: GDC Preview

Comments

• RollTideRollTide Member Posts: 10

True FPS and true MMO's go together about as well as oil and water.  They just don't mix.  There is too much lag and latency involved in MMO's to make true FPS feasible, and it will be a long while until the technology is available to negate that.  The FPSers wouldn't stand for it, and the traditional MMOer don't want the FPS stereotype around them anyore than they have to.  Nevermind the technological barriers, the two gaming cultures don't mix well at all.

As per one of the head devs last year:

Given latency issues with both the internet connection and the client/server, it is nearly impossible to create good gameplay which would be consistent for everyone regardless of their connection, computer spec, or the overall population of the server.

That pretty much nails it.

• olipyrolipyr Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by skywisenight

Originally posted by ZtyX

Do I get to own a property ? Like a house ?

Or is this strictly combat based?
    Who wants a house when you could have a cargo ship or Al'kesh.... would be cool if it were possible. Because, there is more to a game than combat....

Some of us actually like a mental challenge....I guess we are a minority, though.
  • bluebalzzbluebalzz Member Posts: 24

Well I wonder if there will be just one world with a few maps or if there are going to be the thousands apon thousands of worlds u can travel to.. I.E. a world wiht a few like two ro three maps to go to then a new world and only like 20 worlds together or if there will be a whole world which u can map otu and make structures/bases for guilds clans etc

In the show they havent been to every single world that they have wiht in thier data base ?? are more worlds what we will look foward to as expansions liek gladius sector andromada sector ETC.

as far as asgard weapons think about the Ga,uld ?? where did they get the tasers from ( cant rember the name but one shot stuns two shots kills and three shots disengrats) rember the Goa,uld dont make thier own techonolgy they use other technogly from other races and some of those items of interest are ancient and some are asgard.....

My only problem is going to be combat issues U will have skills active and passive and weapons but think abotu a soldier with a p-90 a side arm  grenades c-4 etc. hwo are u to fight along with staff weapons gliders is ti going to be a m.m.o.stratgey style or the regular point and lick fire with click slot for weapons ??? if point and click then here is a problem

1) when have Jaffa ever attacked some one or thing alone ????? they attack in formation containing 10 to 40 troops never alone so battles u will have to click on one jaffa at a time i see a lot of deaths

Originally posted by olipyr

Who wants a house when you could have a cargo ship or Al'kesh.... would be cool if it were possible.Because, there is more to a game than combat....

Some of us actually like a mental challenge....I guess we are a minority, though.

Here is a mental challenge for you ??? what can u do wiht a star frigate ???? or a mother ship ????

MMM give up not only fight and have defence cabilities but you can live you life in one wiht out having to be tied down planet side ??

now giving the choice i take it that u would liek the mental challenge of always worring where the next attack will come from while u try to build your house and level up and exployer other worlds ???

there si a mental challenge wiht taking ovber a space ship weather it is used for transport or war fare the mental challenge is with in course setting where to go defence fo your ship/home and upgrades liek shields and weapons ...

my other question is thsi asgard are dieng from countless cloning thier DNA is week and they are not able to stop this degeneration they key si with in capt> Jack o'neil nwo as a player charter u will be faced with this problem one they are fragile and weak as in low hp and stats except for mental there are pluses to this as well think u have the memorys of a entire history of when u wherwe first born to hwo many of millions or thousands of years expierence ????? but either way they should nto allow them as a player right off bat till they can explain why a dieng race that is dwindling in numbers will sacrifice thuier selfs to go wiht a team of SG-1 exployers ?????

TY and i am really lookign foward to this game 200 hours to reach max level sounds like fun and gives a challenge on how u level up mabey not another grind/pve/pvp M.M.O. after all mabey one that si limitless and fun

• eddy051eddy051 Member Posts: 40
    This is giving me very high expectations, I hope they can meet them, and I really hope this game is good.
  • ursadursad Member Posts: 39
    I hope they don't rush SGW, but if they pull this off its going be such a grate game,

To ZtyX

Long time no see
  • QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81
    So, Humans, Asgard, Jaffa, Gould.  Only four races to play?  Looks like they doubled up on Humans and Jaffa which is kind of  lame.  Obviously they seem to be going the "easy" route.  The reason I say this is because since they have doubled up the Humans and Jaffa, (i.e. good/bad humans, good/bad jaffa) that probably makes model design easier.  So far, this doesn't impress me at all.  I hope they add other races, because as far as variety goes, they aren't starting off very well.  Hell, I think even WoW has more races than that.  Eeeek!  This game seems to be screaming "boring" already.
  • JohnFranzJohnFranz Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by sladey5

first playable version by the end of the month? pre-production to production already?...too soon!
    i pray this game isnt going to be rushed.
    I've been following this game for awhile in their forums... they have been in pre-production for atleast a year as far as I can tell, and based on what they have released, I don't think that they rushed it at all.  In fact, I think it's quite the opposite.

"President Smedley, if you seek fame, if you seek prosperity for the SOE and LA, if you seek subscriptions: Come here to the players! Mr. Smedly, listen to the players! Mr. Smedley, roll back these servers!" - Ronald Reagan

Star Wars NGE (New Guiled Economics)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8687227922034118883
    Sums up my feelings about SWG pretty well :(

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164
    LotD has been following this game and Warhammer Online, but neither is far enough along for us to really make a determination. If one comes out before the other we'll see what happens.

I do find it encouraging that the game will support guilds, and competitive play.

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

• olipyrolipyr Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by bluebalzz

Well I wonder if there will be just one world with a few maps or if there are going to be the thousands apon thousands of worlds u can travel to.. I.E. a world wiht a few like two ro three maps to go to then a new world and only like 20 worlds together or if there will be a whole world which u can map otu and make structures/bases for guilds clans etc
    In the show they havent been to every single world that they have wiht in thier data base ?? are more worlds what we will look foward to as expansions liek gladius sector andromada sector ETC.

as far as asgard weapons think about the Ga,uld ?? where did they get the tasers from ( cant rember the name but one shot stuns two shots kills and three shots disengrats) rember the Goa,uld dont make thier own techonolgy they use other technogly from other races and some of those items of interest are ancient and some are asgard.....
    My only problem is going to be combat issues U will have skills active and passive and weapons but think abotu a soldier with a p-90 a side arm  grenades c-4 etc. hwo are u to fight along with staff weapons gliders is ti going to be a m.m.o.stratgey style or the regular point and lick fire with click slot for weapons ??? if point and click then here is a problem
    1) when have Jaffa ever attacked some one or thing alone ????? they attack in formation containing 10 to 40 troops never alone so battles u will have to click on one jaffa at a time i see a lot of deaths

Originally posted by olipyr

Who wants a house when you could have a cargo ship or Al'kesh.... would be cool if it were possible.Because, there is more to a game than combat....

Here is a mental challenge for you ??? what can u do wiht a star frigate ???? or a mother ship ????

MMM give up not only fight and have defence cabilities but you can live you life in one wiht out having to be tied down planet side ??

now giving the choice i take it that u would liek the mental challenge of always worring where the next attack will come from while u try to build your house and level up and exployer other worlds ???

there si a mental challenge wiht taking ovber a space ship weather it is used for transport or war fare the mental challenge is with in course setting where to go defence fo your ship/home and upgrades liek shields and weapons ...

my other question is thsi asgard are dieng from countless cloning thier DNA is week and they are not able to stop this degeneration they key si with in capt> Jack o'neil nwo as a player charter u will be faced with this problem one they are fragile and weak as in low hp and stats except for mental there are pluses to this as well think u have the memorys of a entire history of when u wherwe first born to hwo many of millions or thousands of years expierence ????? but either way they should nto allow them as a player right off bat till they can explain why a dieng race that is dwindling in numbers will sacrifice thuier selfs to go wiht a team of SG-1 exployers ?????

TY and i am really lookign foward to this game 200 hours to reach max level sounds like fun and gives a challenge on how u level up mabey not another grind/pve/pvp M.M.O. after all mabey one that si limitless and fun

Obviously, English isn't your primary language, but if you're trying to rebut me, at least fix your careless mistakes. i.e. "wiht"  to with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting on you because of English being a secondary language, I'm just saying take a little more pride in what you type.

Plus, you entirely missed the point I was trying to convey to the person I quoted. I don't have time to explain myself right now, though.

One other thing, just in general to the whole thread, levels suck balls.
  • JowenJowen Member Posts: 326
    Character levels you say?

/me crosses game off list.
  • TaniquetilTaniquetil Member Posts: 214
    Written it off already?? Scary .....

Lots of potential on this one , been on their forums for a while now  - I got high hopes for SGW 
  • TaucetiTauceti Member Posts: 168

Hi all,

I was excited about this game, but that has somewhat lessened with some of the things I've learn about how they are doing the game.  1st let me say the graphic look great and I'm happy that they are going to try to maintain the feeling of exploration, and it sounds like they are going to have plenty of planets. Plus they seem to understand the need to add content on a regular bases. That being said, it's sad [based on current information] that they are not introducing more races and have a limited number of professions { I can't believe they said archtypes...lol] which pisses me off. It like no one in the industry understand player want a unique avatar [both in look , skill, and abilities]. But, the most disappointing is they are going to make this a level based game. I guess they lack the ability to make a skill & equipment based game, either that or they want yet another WoW clone....LOL.

IMO,

Tauceti

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326
    True.

Character levels leads to "end game" concept, and "end game" concept leads directly to the Dark Side.

Also it leads to morronic gameplay:

Sheriff of town goes: "Please please please, save us from those horrible green monkeys that are about to destroy our village." Sure can do that, but hey, I am level 10 and sheriff of town is level 1000. Why do he not just fart in the monekys general direction to take them out?
  • CaleSentariCaleSentari Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Calcedon

So, Humans, Asgard, Jaffa, Gould.  Only four races to play?  Looks like they doubled up on Humans and Jaffa which is kind of  lame.  Obviously they seem to be going the "easy" route.  The reason I say this is because since they have doubled up the Humans and Jaffa, (i.e. good/bad humans, good/bad jaffa) that probably makes model design easier.  So far, this doesn't impress me at all.  I hope they add other races, because as far as variety goes, they aren't starting off very well.  Hell, I think even WoW has more races than that.  Eeeek!  This game seems to be screaming "boring" already.
    But another race or two would make it un-boring?
  • mrzackmrzack Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I just have to say....i can't wait for this game to come out!!!

Was, am and will be a StarGate Fan forever!!!

About all your negative feedback about races and other things....how can you give a bad feedback when you didn't even see, or not to say tried/played, the game?!? It's StarGate......with time and exploration and science in game, other possibilities will (i expect) be added. And i like that . And anyway...what kind of races would you like to have?!? If you want to keep the SGC feeling then you don't have many options......it's a human kind of Sci-Fi thing and not a fantasy.....i like human kind of Sci-Fi. And besides all the possibilities that exist, Atlantis will add up to it also....and you can then maybe play the Wraith !!

If this game keeps the feeling from the series SGC...then i'll love it :-)

If it becomes just another WoW copy/clone then i'll stick to WoW.....but i don't think that i will have to stick to WoW

Let's just wait and see what happens(which is hard enough for me)

---------------------

Happy Gaming
  • HandsomeRobHandsomeRob Member Posts: 113

I have to say The more I hear about this game, and it's current path of development the less and less I'm getting all 'Oh I can't wait to play'

First the level bomb was dropped. Then we get limited character ARCHTYPES, and now the Dev's talk of how to 'Balance' each archtype. Seriously? Is this really what Dev's sit about and brainstorm about on how to deliver a knockout MMO?

A medic should not be balanced with a Commando.. Even a combat medic who knows a bit about how to shoot will get beat EVERY time by a trained Green Beret, Special Forces, Force Recon, SEAL. Same with how your average soldier will never out engineer an MIT triple master Graduate. When did Jack O'Neill ever out techno Carter? Or out translate Jackson? They would lay cover fire while the specific member delt with their are of expertise, it wasn't balanced. a group of 3 Asguard, and a Scientist should beat the same number of soldiers in a SAT, and the Soldiers should wipe them off the obstacle course.

And 200 hours to reach end game! That is something to oh ah about? Guess the days of old where characters enjoy the rich detailed world in are gone. Now we will no longer have the discussions of how you spent years in a MMO community, instead it's all about Rush Rush Rush to lvl, and hit the 'endgame' before the next flavor of the month MMO drops. Ah well guess with the current trend of MMO's the RPG is gone, and now companies only try to hold your attention for so long.

A real shame, as I really like the Stargate cannon, and would have had a great time carving my name upon the world, but it does look like the focus is more so the Asguard with the Naquehda plasma rockit launchers of Noob slaughter, out ganking the Jaffa spawn points, than trying to unlock anything as an Archeologist.

Mankind is not limited by imagination, but the courage to reach....

• StrydoxStrydox Member Posts: 8
    Wow. The more i read some of these posts the more i feel i should just stop. Im not going to try and convince any of you how cool this game is going to be or can be nor am i going to have a debate over any of it. But your all afraid of character levels? rofls...

• JoeViolenceJoeViolence Member Posts: 2
    i could care less about levels, i just hope the game doesn't suck
  • wolveryne40wolveryne40 Member Posts: 21
    I simply do not get how some of you think this game is gonna be so fantastic as to stop the earth from rotating, nor do i get how some of you think its gonna be dead in the water.

this game is gonna pop right up near swg nge territory like it or not.

a half and half rpg/shooter doesn't get it. what it should be set up as is a fps with the ability to roleplay.

This "well it would be a limited view crap just amazes me, since when do we ever have a 360 view part of the tactic's would be

pay attention to your surroundings and not solely focus in on what you are doing, or if you have to be fully focus on studying an artifact

then your team better have your back covered. what would be the point to a four man team if you can do it all yourself?

Man this gimme on a silver platter crap just irks me to no end.

Here is what just did me in on playing this and i sooooooooooo wanted to play this game.

archtypes= iconic

3rd person view + tactics = will not work.

Leveling, which just screams noob universe.

Commando or soldier, last i checked jack was both plus pilot, not now boy, he is getting the nerf bat straight away and hasn't even made it to the game.

I can hear him saying now

Oh, for crying out loud Senator, i can use c-4 plus shoot at the sametime what do you mean i have to choose one?

Senator - Well this will help create more options, jack.

Like what?!? Dying?!? Thats just great. Think I'll take that retirement package now thanks all the same.

Then he leaves, the world gets taken over, everyone dies or becomes a snake head...

ALL BECAUSE YOU JUST COULDN'T LET JACK HAVE HIS C-4/P-90 COMBO BECAUSE IT MADE HIM TOO DAMN UBER!

Whats next? Sam has to choose between being gorgeous or smart? Because you know, that would make her too damn powerful.

OR, or, I GOT IT!  Jackson has to choose between a book and a weapon. God knows if you give those damn archaeologists both at

the sametime they will take over the world in less than 15 seconds.

Don't get me started on Teal'c

Punch up P263-595 I'm outta here.

Bunch of silver plattered freaks.
  • jlan26jlan26 Member UncommonPosts: 17

I'm excited to see what they come up with for the end-result.  I know I would enjoy the exploration based on what I'm hearing....   Just one thing, GET THE INTERFACE RIGHT!!!  By that, I mean don't make it feel cumbersome which so many MANY games are doing.  I've played so many RPG, Adventure games that have an awesome story, but extremely poor interface.  I hate to even say it here, but companies shouldn't be afraid of using WOW as an example.  The ease of movement in that game is the best example I've seen on the PC.  The easiest I've encountered for a console is Fable (I know, not MMO... but still a good example).

-jl

I'm not signing this

• BrohamBroham Member Posts: 1
    Look Garrett, I hate to be "that guy", but it has to be said.

That was the most poorly written article I've ever read.

Other than that, I look forward to seeing what Cheyenne does with the game, it definitely has some huge potential. They didn't really give us too much info here, just some basic race/class information. Hopefully we can get more information out soon. I'll keep this one on my watch list for sure =D
  • StrydoxStrydox Member Posts: 8
    First off I think this game will do great because its theme is the stargate universe (My Opinion). Second the game is to far away and it is way to early to judge if its going to do good or bad. Fact is nothing is written in stone and lots of things change on how the game will be at release.

• Nai`NeasNai`Neas Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Calcedon

What other races would you have in the initial release?

I can see several additional races (Wraith, Genai, etc) when Atlantis is introduced, but I'm not really up to playing a Cro-mag personally...

Playing a To'Kra just isn't viable as there are VERY few of them.

If you think it's boring...well...don't play?
  • Nai`NeasNai`Neas Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by wolveryne40
    Oh, for crying out loud Senator, i can use c-4 plus shoot at the sametime what do you mean i have to choose one?

Senator - Well this will help create more options, jack.

Like what?!? Dying?!? Thats just great. Think I'll take that retirement package now thanks all the same.

Then he leaves, the world gets taken over, everyone dies or becomes a snake head...

ALL BECAUSE YOU JUST COULDN'T LET JACK HAVE HIS C-4/P-90 COMBO BECAUSE IT MADE HIM TOO DAMN UBER!

Whats next? Sam has to choose between being gorgeous or smart? Because you know, that would make her too damn powerful.

OR, or, I GOT IT!  Jackson has to choose between a book and a weapon. God knows if you give those damn archaeologists both at

the sametime they will take over the world in less than 15 seconds.

Don't get me started on Teal'c

Punch up P263-595 I'm outta here.

Bunch of silver plattered freaks.

HAHAHAHA that's funny, and good points as well...
  • adeildricadeildric Member Posts: 13
    Do be honest i look forward to it but stillhope is not going a Ryzom like promessing a lot and delivering a few.