Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: GDC Studio Visit: The Direction of STO

13»

Comments

• KeptKept Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by cbas
    I'm hungry for a new sci-fi MMORPG so this reads good to me.  Just hope it's not an Elf and Orc is space kind of thing.
    A Post Apoc Mad Max type with skill points rather then levels would make me pretty happy too.

Eagerly awaiting ST:O also. As to your wish for a "Mad Max" post Apoc MMO, check out "Fallen Earth" http://www.fallenearth.com/ and the info on here on MMORPG.com. They've been pretty tight-lipped as to if they are going to be skill or level based, but worth watching in the near future.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    So help me god if I hear this game described as Iconic and Star Treky I'm gonna puke!  
  • StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Suvroc

So help me god if I hear this game described as Iconic and Star Treky I'm gonna puke!  

LOL, no worries, I've heard nothing of the kind ;)

Jon

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

I just hope Perpetual takes enough time to really polish this game before it's released.  I'm tired of buggy MMOs being launched (SOE, I'm looking at you).

No faction vs. faction is a bit of a bummer, though. :(

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• EBlackbladeEBlackblade Member UncommonPosts: 34

You know when I first wanted to see a Star Trek MMO was when Star Wars released theirs. When I heard one was in development I was so excited....Now some time later I am more in reserved caution like many I am very worried about seeing something I love so much in the hands of people who could screw it up.

THat being said, I am GLAD they are being so hushed about the game until they know whats going on that means they are not doing this to follow the leader of the trend who we all know its name. I like people who have original ideas for their games and Im glad they are taking their time...They can take 10 years if they need to if thats what it takes to get a Real Star Trek game then I can wait. Ive been waiting all this time I can wait longer. It does look beautiful...

I do hate to nitpick but in his article he said:Enterprise E which is a Soverign Class starship 600+ meters long we have all seen it. I think he actually mean Enterprise F in which case Im curious what happened to E lol and what, Im now sure is Admiral Picard one cant put off those promotions forever unless he went down with his ship, is up to. (After all Janeway said there are 2 rules as Starfleet Captain Go down with your ship and never leave a crewmember behind) So that tidbit of history is very interesting to me at least.

• FlatfingersFlatfingers Member Posts: 114

Bearing in mind the necessary marketing aspects of what developers say before a game in development launches, I'm still with jayanti -- I'd have preferred to learn something more about the core game design.

I don't mind eye candy. Heck, for a game set in space, slick ships and pretty scenery are non-optional. So it's nice to be shown these things.

But they aren't what matter most. What matter most are the core design goals that drive everything else, including gameplay and artwork. An honest statement of those goals is what will either keep me interested in STO until it launches, or clue me in that this isn't the MMOG I'm looking for. Telling me that stuff now, rather than leading me on until some site like MMORPG.com is given a preview tour, seems to me to be a good way to gain my respect for a company even if a particular product doesn't strike my fancy. I might not subscribe to Game A, but I'll definitely be willing to take a look at the other products offered by a company I feel I can trust because they act like they trust me.

Not so much, OTOH, for a game developer whose attitude is "we know what's best for you, stop questioning us, just wait, you'll love it." I won't play any games from someone like that. (I'm not thinking of Perpetual here, but I definitely have a couple of development houses in mind with this criticism.)

I'm not asking for gameplay details. Of course that stuff is going to change. But the core design philosophy -- the statements that describe who this game is targeting and the general strategy for attracting those gamers -- I'd be shocked if that isn't well-understood and stable at this point in STO's development.

So why not let us gamers in on that? Next time there's an opportunity to sit down with Daron S. or one of the other leads, I'd definitely visit MMORPG.com to read their comments about the core design goals of STO.

--Flatfingers

• MordacaiMordacai Member Posts: 309
    I can't play a Klingon fighting for the Empire in a old D-12 Mark I, even with its bad decloaking plasma coils, so i'll pass until I can.
  • shozikushoziku Member UncommonPosts: 95

One of the more soothing things I read in there was about the music and their decision to keep the familiarity of the original themes so it feels more Star Trekky. In my opinion that is a VERY important aspect that creates incredible immersion.

When SWG came out I was really confused by the music that was "new" to me because they didn't have any music associated with A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The only music they had was from the first trilogy... which was not that familiar to me at the time. But they were also trying to promote that series quite a bit... but in doing so they sacrificed some vital immersion. It would have had that Star Wars feel from the start if they included the original Star Wars theme in their game.

So if I hear the original Star Trek music (from the original series) in the game, I'm gonna get that tingle of warm familiarity right off the bat.

Originally posted by Stradden

Hi Guys,

I wanted to step in here now and clear some things up. For those of you asking for gameplay information,  I can see where you're coming from. I' m as curious as anyone about how the game will be constructed, whether or not it will be a sandbox, is it level or skill based? The fact of the matter is that Perpetual, as a company, isn't talking about that aspect of their game yet. The fact of the matter is that there's a lot that changes in the development of an MMORPG between pre-production (where they are now) and launch. Announcing what features are going to be in the game, before they are locked down (or close to it) is not only a pain in the butt for companies (who then have to go out and say "We changed our minds") but also a pain in the butt for fans of the game like you and I who are looking forward to it. I know that's something that always aggrivates me.

I figured though, since I was there and saw what I saw, that I'd pass on any information I had. I know I was starved for it, and I figured others were as well.

Cheers
    Jon

Thank you for explaining this to the masses. I think some folks are under the impression that you were a reporter at a State of the Union Address where the speaker MUST answer questions posed to them. Perpetual was not under an inquisition, but rather was offering what they DO have to show us. I'm glad time wasn't wasted asking gameplay questions that we know there is no answer to yet. At this early stage it's better to listen to what they have done already than to push for things yet to come under development or ready to be released to the public.

Originally posted by Cpt.Stubbing

I like other MMOs but they all seem to be fantasy based and I too am hungry for a SUCCESSFUL sci-fi MMORPG. Pkease God please let this one be good. image

Oooh, that is so true. I am so tired of seeing trolls, orcs, elves, faeries, magic missiles, paladins, wizards... PTOOIE!

• BronxChuloBronxChulo Member Posts: 166
    I love all that blue color in space and on the station.  Makes me want to live there right now
  • kraizkraiz Member Posts: 14
    I really dislike the idea that a single player can control a starship of Enterprise's size. I thought the devs were going in a bold new direction with a crew. Would have been damn fun and built an amazing community never seen before.

I really hope i'm misstaken. Instead of guilds.. Starship crews. Now that would make this game friggin groundbreaking in a good way.
  • FreelancerA4FreelancerA4 Member Posts: 145
    From what I've heard, you won't be able to have a ship the size of the Enterprise (B and up anyways) all to yourself. You'll need a group/guild (crew) to command it.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by TookyG

As with all STO related posts I'm obligated to point out that having 2D space combat ranks right up there in the "worst design decision" category.

I don't know if you misunderstood the info PE gave about combat, but if you refer to graphics and camera, it will be 3D, only moving around will be 2D. Isn't that what they do in the series as well? I can't say I'm as big a fan as you appear to be (I know nothing about ship classes and stuff like that), but I can't recall seing an attacking ship in ST approach its prey at a vertical angle or upside down, it's more or less always(?) 2D.

• yobatsamyobatsam Member Posts: 12
    I am so going to play this!! Just because it is Star Trek  . So it better be good !!
  • dookseiddookseid Member Posts: 282

Precisely where I'm at!!!

Even if it's just so-so,  I'll probably stick with it for awhile.  I mean c'mon,  I stuck with Galaxies until the NGE slammed it....  lol.

Originally posted by yobatsam

I am so going to play this!! Just because it is Star Trek  . So it better be good !!
  • MordacaiMordacai Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by piquet

As with all STO related posts I'm obligated to point out that having 2D space combat ranks right up there in the "worst design decision" category.

I don't know if you misunderstood the info PE gave about combat, but if you refer to graphics and camera, it will be 3D, only moving around will be 2D. Isn't that what they do in the series as well? I can't say I'm as big a fan as you appear to be (I know nothing about ship classes and stuff like that), but I can't recall seing an attacking ship in ST approach its prey at a vertical angle or upside down, it's more or less always(?) 2D.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I think it qualifies for justification for 3d battle between starships.

[edit] The second battle between Enterprise and Reliant

Kirk manages to lure Khan into the nearby Mutara Nebula, where he subsequently outmaneuvers him by taking advantage of all three dimensions of space. With the Reliant disabled and about to be boarded, Khan sets the Genesis Device to detonate. The Enterprise lost warp power in the initial battle, and on limited impulse, has no chance to escape. Spock, unnoticed in the desperation, goes down to Engineering. He is about to enter the reactor room when McCoy stops him, saying "No human can tolerate the radiation that's in there!" Spock replies that as McCoy himself frequently points out, he isn't human; he then distracts McCoy and nerve-pinches him, apologizing that he has "no time to discuss this logically." Pressing his hand against McCoy's forehead to initiate a mind-meld, Spock intones "Remember". Spock then enters the room and successfully makes repairs amidst heavy radiation streams. On the bridge, a cadet monitoring the Engineering station announces that the main engines have come back online. With seconds to spare, Kirk orders Commander Hikaru Sulu to engage the warp engines, and the Enterprise narrowly escapes just as the Genesis Device detonates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_The_Wrath_of_Khan

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Enterprise_(TWOK).jpg

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Mordacai

Originally posted by piquet

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I think it qualifies for justification for 3d battle between starships.

[edit] The second battle between Enterprise and Reliant

Kirk manages to lure Khan into the nearby Mutara Nebula, where he subsequently outmaneuvers him by taking advantage of all three dimensions of space. With the Reliant disabled and about to be boarded, Khan sets the Genesis Device to detonate. The Enterprise lost warp power in the initial battle, and on limited impulse, has no chance to escape. Spock, unnoticed in the desperation, goes down to Engineering. He is about to enter the reactor room when McCoy stops him, saying "No human can tolerate the radiation that's in there!" Spock replies that as McCoy himself frequently points out, he isn't human; he then distracts McCoy and nerve-pinches him, apologizing that he has "no time to discuss this logically." Pressing his hand against McCoy's forehead to initiate a mind-meld, Spock intones "Remember". Spock then enters the room and successfully makes repairs amidst heavy radiation streams. On the bridge, a cadet monitoring the Engineering station announces that the main engines have come back online. With seconds to spare, Kirk orders Commander Hikaru Sulu to engage the warp engines, and the Enterprise narrowly escapes just as the Genesis Device detonates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_The_Wrath_of_Khan

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Enterprise_(TWOK).jpg

I stand corrected, I just never saw it in the series. I guess there's an exception to every rule :)