Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: GDC Studio Visit: The Direction of STO

Comments

• daadamodaadamo Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Endemondia

Originally posted by AshleyHunter

What does IP mean?
    Have you heard of this thing called the internet? It has a thing called google. A giant leap forward for the intelect of the human race once you know how to use it.

It's people like you Endemondia, that show the arrogant, juvenile side of game forums. You need to take that giant leap forward yourself. If you can't answer the question for the person, just don't post. As opposed to a sarcastic worthless answer that only shows your own stupidity.

On a better note, I think any news on this game is good news at this point. If they want to share some information, great. I look forward to more.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    I'm gonna play no matter what gameplay STO will use. How long? That depends on the gameplay. I wants it, I needs it, give me sci-fi!!!

• brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    "I've killed 50 Klingons and I still only have 9/10 Klingon Face Ridges!"  Wonder if there's gonna be quests like that.  ;)  I lke the screenie of the away team.  Looks fun.  Like they said, SO early who knows what kinda game we'll get but at least it'll look good! 

imageimage

• bugzonlsdbugzonlsd Member Posts: 410
    It'll be a fun experience thats for sure. The very first mmorpg Star Trek title? Cant wait. 
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Nu11u5

Originally posted by jayanti

We all know the graphics are going to be pretty, but what would be much more helpful and interesting is to know what they are actually planning for the mechanics of the game. Is it going to be level or skill based, is it going to be quest or "sandbox" based, how will combat and ship control work. How will they do "crafting" in a universe where everything can be made for you in the little machine?

These would have been much better questions to ask than "how is the ship going to look".

Last I read (in an article of MMORPG.COM no less) the game was going to be class/level based (a little fuzzy on that detail), with missions instanced for your crew - the only time you will be likely to run into another player not on your crew will be at starbases - no PvP combat or even playable races hostile to the Federation, and when you get injured, you are always instantly saved 100% healthy via Star Trek teleporter + hypospray magic.

I can see where some of the design decisions came from in order to keep with the theme of Star Trek, but I'm not sure if I'll be wanting to play it. But despite all my negativity, I will say that they seem to have a rather interesting approach to Ship control/flight. Haven't seen any solid details yet, but it look like it will be a crew effort, with each person managing a system in a sort of mini-game.

I don't know what article your referring to which is odd since I've read every one of them but your info is 99% wrong. First off they have stated numerous times that there will be professions like Engineering, Tactical/Security and Science/Medical but these could be set up in a number of different ways. They could be like classes in a traditional MMO or they could be Skill systems set up within each profession and even cross-profession so not all people in a certain profession have the same skill set. Also they have said numerous times that there will be ranks attainable within Starfleet but this does not equal "Level based". Ranks will be performance based I would guess and will have nothing to do with the level of your skills. They have also said that some away missions will be instanced but this does not mean everything outside of a starbase will be instanced. This only eludes that certain planetside away missions from your ship will be instanced. They have also stated that there will be factions within Starfleet that people can align themselves with...this could mean everything from card carrying Starfleet officers to members of fringe groups like the Marquis. They have also stated  numerous times that there will be some form of PvP in this game they just haven't said what form it will take yet. I'm guessing some sort of Holo-arena type deal. And all they have said with certainty is that there will be no Perma-Death for players or ships. They stated that you would reappear at the last Starbase you visited if your ship blew up or back on your ship if you died on an away mission. They did not state what shape you would be in when you reappeared. Please get your facts straight if your gonna make statements like this as it does no one any good to read nonsense/misinformed posts like yours.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• norme69norme69 Member Posts: 11
    I haven't been much of a Trek fan since Next Gen went off the air, but what I've seen so far is enough to make me interested. if nothing the updated designs are nice.

Oh and for the guy who asked what IP meant, it stands for Intellectual Property. Which like the other poster stated in this case stands for existing entertainment franchises from say film or TV.
  • cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

What does IP mean?
    intellectual property

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• cbascbas Member Posts: 111

I'm hungry for a new sci-fi MMORPG so this reads good to me.  Just hope it's not an Elf and Orc is space kind of thing.

A Post Apoc Mad Max type with skill points rather then levels would make me pretty happy too.

• Fried_YodaFried_Yoda Member Posts: 26
    I must say that I am truly impressed at Perpetual for not treating this game as a pop-genre MMO and actually taking the time and resources to give this as real of a Star Trek feel as they can. One of the biggest disappointments in games such as Star Wars Galaxies and Lord of the Rings Online was that their developers and publishers opted for the "it has the _____ name so people will play it" attitude. Fortunately, Perpetual is not appearing to be doing that from it's concept art. By looking at these new images I can truly tell that this game is not being made by bureaucrats or cash cows, but instead it is being made by people like you and me....people who grew up watching Kirk or Picard on their screens...people who would look up to the stars, close their eyes, and just dream. This game is on its way to reversing the lackluster performance of the Star Trek gaming franchise. Hopefully, it will help reverse the lackluster performance the Star Trek series and movie franchise has recently exemplified.
  • skyrakerskyraker Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I'm sure it has been noted somewhere, but if the article writer saw a picture of a new Enterprise, it probably wasn't 1701-E, as that was the ship for movies 8-10 and wouldn't really be considered new. Unless he never saw those movies and only watched the series.
  • RashadOmorRashadOmor Member Posts: 17
    That starbase design looked great, nice and sleek!
  • Draden-RahlDraden-Rahl Member Posts: 5

I've been following the STO development since I first heard about it.  I run a small gaming community that was started in the Star Trek genre.  We've been looking for a new ST game to expand into and Legacy failed at any attempt to satisfy us.  PE seems to have their heads in the game and with people like Michael Okuda onboard, I'm confident that the game will meet most expectations.  I'd rather have them take thier time and do it right than release it when it won't do the job or fill the shoes we expect it to fill.

The closer it gets to GnH's release the more info about STO we'll get.  They may even wait to tackle our 'demands' until afterwards.  Wouldn't you as a company?  I'm going to sit back and relax... and wait for it.  They'll give us what we want.  If they don't.... Trekkies from all over the world will hunt them down. hehe....

• rogee14rogee14 Member Posts: 18
    It would be interesting to see what type of 'crew' system they come up with.

I can think of a few roles for separate players to fill:

Helmsman - steers the ship

Weapons - fires torp's etc

Navigator - sees map and plots waypoints for helmsman to pilot to

Engineer - regulates power between drives, weapons, shields, life support etc

Radioman - scans 'local chat' and/or npc distress signals that launch a mission (non radio types can't decode transmission)

Mechanic - runs about the ship repairing damaged sectors

Doctor - to stand over dead body and say "He's dead Jim."

There must must must be pvp, even if only racial pvp. Maybe even cycle who can attack who each month based on a story arc as the relations and treaties are made and broken.

UO,EQ,AC,AO,DAoC,Lin,RoE,E&B,SB,EVE,PS,SL,SWG,TT,FFXI,
    HZ,CoH,L2,Ryz,EQ2,WoW,GW,RF,DDO,SR,FoM,Van,

• EndemondiaEndemondia Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by DruAde

What does IP mean?
    Have you heard of this thing called the internet? It has a thing called google. A giant leap forward for the intelect of the human race once you know how to use it.

I used google to look up pompus rude idiot and guess what ? Your  name came up....

it is true. I am a pompous rude idiot. But i can't help it. luckily it is just my day job....but i did laugh too!

• DeadJesterDeadJester Member Posts: 499

Originally posted by DruAde

What does IP mean?

I used google to look up pompus rude idiot and guess what ? Your  name came up....

it is true. I am a pompous rude idiot. But i can't help it. luckily it is just my day job....but i did laugh too!

so u didnt answer his ? do you know what a IP is or are you just a Troll
  • LostMKLostMK Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I see this game is going to run off the Unreal 3 Engine... DATS SOME FUKEN SAVED!!

STO FTW ;D

<3 Star Trek <3
  • Cpt.StubbingCpt.Stubbing Member Posts: 269
    I like other MMOs but they all seem to be fantasy based and I too am hungry for a SUCCESSFUL sci-fi MMORPG. Pkease God please let this one be good.
  • AshleyHunterAshleyHunter Member Posts: 3

Thanks Guys for answering my question.

I think more female players will play online games if just the simple questions (to you guys) could be answered without the rudeness our little friend felt he had 2 answer his way.

I'm not a big Star Trek fan but I like this one space game I played "Earth & Beyond" and I'm hoping this game will bring back what I lost when E&B shut down.  

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by skyraker

I'm sure it has been noted somewhere, but if the article writer saw a picture of a new Enterprise, it probably wasn't 1701-E, as that was the ship for movies 8-10 and wouldn't really be considered new. Unless he never saw those movies and only watched the series.
    Yup. I've watched everything Trek, and I have to admit, I mis-wrote. By the time I got back from the event, it was quite late and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. It would indeed be beyond the Enterprise E, probably F, but to be honest, I didn't see call numbers, but was told by the devs that it was the Enterprise. Could be G for all I know. :)

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Okay, that's it... I'm hyped! Oh my god...

http://images.mmorpg.com/features/1151/images/1151_4.jpg - Is there anyway to get this one a bit bigger so I can use it as backgroud? :)

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • YaishaYaisha Member Posts: 117
    I'm trying not to get too excited about this game but I can't help it. -^^-  It sounds like they are staying away from the Enterprise stuff which is great, that series is...disappointing...
  • SyberflySyberfly Member Posts: 9
    It's great to see the we will now have a choice in Space mmp

I Live for the One, I die for the One

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

The author supposes it must be the Enterprise E?  I'm pretty sure anyone who calls themself a trekkie would know whether or not they're looking at the Enterprise E, or for that matter a Sovereign class starship.

However, that concept art of the "Sacagawea class" ship looks suspiciously like a Saber class ship.  I'm not sure what's worse, trying to be too original or mimicing something very closely and calling it new.

As with all STO related posts I'm obligated to point out that having 2D space combat ranks right up there in the "worst design decision" category.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• Draden-RahlDraden-Rahl Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by TookyG

The author supposes it must be the Enterprise E?  I'm pretty sure anyone who calls themself a trekkie would know whether or not they're looking at the Enterprise E, or for that matter a Sovereign class starship.
    However, that concept art of the "Sacagawea class" ship looks suspiciously like a Saber class ship.  I'm not sure what's worse, trying to be too original or mimicing something very closely and calling it new.
    As with all STO related posts I'm obligated to point out that having 2D space combat ranks right up there in the "worst design decision" category.

I thought it was the Sabre class at first too.  Then I looked closer.  It is basically a moving bridge.  I think it has one... maybe two decks.  It is much smaller than the Sabre class.  Do a google search (not  to sound rude like previous posters) and check out the comparison.  The difference in size suprised me.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

That Sacagawea strongly resembles an early Romulan Bird of Prey, Federationised.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon