Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Realistic Review of Vanguard

Comments

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by lancebird

This "review" is realistic?  Come on.
    Character model is weak,  you've got like 4 looks to choose from, of which maybe 1 or 2 aren't horrible, and I don't mean ugly I mean just really poorly done.  Yes you can screw around with moving your eyebrows or ears.. but once you're in game everybody looks the same.  4 choices is not a 9 rating.. try somewhere between 3-5.
    Starting areas aren't too bad, by now they even have most of the bugs worked out.  There is little reason to read any of the dialog beyond the crafting & diplomacy intros, and then only the first time.  All in all decent, but nothing special.  Grade it somewhere between 6 -8.
    Game performance is horrible, and not just the demands the graphics engine puts on your machine.  Memory leaks, random crashes to desktop, crossing a chunk line causing death, losing entire levels with no reason, vanishing gear, being unable to log in.. and on and on.  Grade this somewhere between 0 and 1.
    Combat is weak.  And the primary problem is not the standard cookie cutter "pop-a-mole" button clicking, which is a far cry from the combat system Sigil hyped up, but rather the fact that there is nothing worth killing.  Combat revolves around killing the same 3 or 4 mobs over and over and over and over.  You find a boss.. it will probably look and fight exactly like the 100 things you just killed.  I think I've had 1 memorable fight in 28 levels, which is just pathetic.  Grade it 3-5.
    Crafting and harvesting are actually the things this game doest best, although they've been steadily nerfing it.  The ability to have your whole group assist you with harvesting was a very nice move.  Sigil's seeming inability to resolve the complication problems and repeated nerfs on crafted gear bring the long term viability of crafting to question, but in all a solid system.  Give harvesting should grade 8-10, crafting 6-9.
    Diplomacy.. I just don't get the appeal.  It's a mindlessly simple card game with no real purpose.  It was mildly enjoyable for the first dozen parlays.. but soon after that you begin to realize that every "game" plays out about the same.  It also requires you to completely "de-immerse" ( is that a real word?) yourself from the game world.  Also the actions you take in the game have no impact on the conversation taking place.. you can play a threatening ability and have some sweet innocent dialog take place.  Rate it 3-6.
    Graphically this game sabotages itself.  It has this beautiful landscape.. and then it fills it with poorly done npc models.  The combat animations are also bad.  Grade it 6-8.
    The VG community is generally good, with the exception of the people who instantly fall to "go back to WoW!" comments to anybody who has a problem.  In fact the community, AKA my guild, is the only reason I'm still playing this game.  Grade it 8-10.
    I'm going to toss in my own category.  Fun factor.     At the moment it's more frustrating than fun.  The poor combat/content simply does not provide as much enjoyment as the nerfs/bugs cause frustration.  Hopefully, in a couple months Sigil will have the gamebreaking bugs resolved, and perhaps toss in a few more interesting encounters.  But at the moment fun factor grades 2-4.
    I don't see Vanguard being a major success.  They had a certain window to deliver a quality product and get their market share.. and they failed.  First impressions are important, and too many people's first impressions are going to be in the line of "hey look, there's my desktop again" and "hrmm.. wasn't I a level higher when I was last on?"  Those first impressions will then spread to their friends who will look elsewhere for their next MMO.  Releasing a game in this state can, and often will, bite you in the ass.. even if you resolve the issues later.

I am playing Vanguard and enjoying myself greatly.

Problems were noted and it was stated that most of them did not bother me too much. Maybe I have a high pain tolerance ..maybe I'm just Vanbois...It matters not though...bottom line is I think Vanguard is a great game and will only get better.

As I have pointed out several times in this thread. This review...as all reviews are.....was made from my perspective. There is no claim to the effect of attempting to be un-biased.

Should I enjoy playing Vanguard so much and give it a bad review ? Would that make more sense? I think not.

Play Vanguard..the game that sucks less than the rest !

• MarkajMarkaj Member Posts: 165

You might enjoy the game very much, but it is subjective and it doesn't make your review "realistic". There are many people who actually enjoy pain and suffering!

You have a potential in writing a realistic review in the same calibre as Vanguard has a potential of being an enjoyable and working game. But when it comes to actual delivery, I don't know which is worse.  

Since you fail at writing a realistic review and create even a worse disaster in trying to defend it, I highly recommend that instead of idling here, you would move into areas where you can be useful... such as bug-reporting? How about that? I have heard that the latest update is just another buggy bag junk, decreasing playability even more and your bug reporting abilities are sorely needed!

When your other fan friends are falling through the earth, losing tombstones, crashing every hour, hitching and sttuttering, getting bugged and dying at chunk loading, logging in to a God forsaken ocean drowning, trying to play with invisible weapons, chasing impossibly fleeing mobs, losing items, losing xp and even deleveling (etc. etc.) do you honestly think anyone will buy into your "realistic" review?   

There, you wanna see anything "realistic", you have just read it

CONTRIBUTE INTO THE GAMING INDUSTRY! STOP PAYING FOR BORING COPYCATS, UNFINISHED BUGFESTS AND CRANKY JUNKWARE. BE A RESPONSIBLE GAMER!

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
  • HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by KariTR

Originally posted by harrisond

this isnt a realistic review its tainted by your biasedness, you like the game so much you find it hard to rate it low, this game is more of a 7, and in a year or so will be a 9.

The scores, with the possible exception of combat and graphics, are a little generous imo but the content is realistic from the perspective of a player who doesnt let the occasional bug get in the way of his/her game enjoyment. Also I feel the types of "reviews" that make you believe this game is unplayable are biased to the point of ficticious, so its great to hear the more positive experiences of other players.

It seems to me that like "newb" the term "fanboi" is being bastardised to slate anyone who enjoys a game despite the bugs, instead of its original purpose of slating a game fan who denies the bugs exist. Oh well, count me in as another fan

I absolutely agree with this "Fanboi" statement.  VERY well said.  As far as the game and the OPs comments,  Gimmie about 10 days and if interested you can read my two cents. 
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Thamoris

Should I enjoy playing Vanguard so much and give it a bad review ? Would that make more sense? I think not.

Well..No one is talking about giving the game a bad review, but as you stated in your post title, this is a "realistic" review and we are telling you that even thou "you" like Vanguard as much as you do, and even thou bugs and poor performance could be set aside in favor for what will come in the future..It just isn't realistic for the state of Vanguard TODAY...The hole sharade makes you look desperate or just foolish.

/Thark

Originally posted by thark

Well..No one is talking about giving the game a bad review, but as you stated in your post title, this is a "realistic" review and we are telling you that even thou "you" like Vanguard as much as you do, and even thou bugs and poor performance could be set aside in favor for what will come in the future..It just isn't realistic for the state of Vanguard TODAY...The hole sharade makes you look desperate or just foolish.

/Thark

My review pointed out many of the issues and bugs in game. It also pointed out that those same issues haven't bothered me much. They are FAR from game breaking for me. I expect such hassles in a game that is attempting to push the limits of what mmorpg's can do. Building a massive, gorgeous, and persistant world that enables complete freedom on land, air and sea is an extremely difficult project. Why do you think so many games use instancing?  Instancing is easier to code for and far less harsh on the hardware.

I am neither desparate nor foolish. If Vanguard folded for some reason...I wouldn't lose any sleep over it....it is just a game afterall. One pull of the plug and everything disapears forever. Nothing done in mmorpg has any lasting value at all. I am simply posting my views on the game. My views happen to be very favorable in regards to my experience in Vanguard...simple as that.

• Rha-ELRha-EL Member Posts: 208

er didnt you just post in the Lineage 2 forums and claim that VG is now bug-free and practically all issues have been fixed as well as those that are posting bad things about VG are those that only played in beta or something like that?

Are you smoking something wicked?  You sure sound delusional.

• xAlrythxxAlrythx Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by Rha-EL

er didnt you just post in the Lineage 2 forums and claim that VG is now bug-free and practically all issues have been fixed as well as those that are posting bad things about VG are those that only played in beta or something like that?

Yeah this guy has posted his thoughts of VSoH in every known forum with a title including the words "sigil" or "vanguard". Like you said he claimed in another forum that the game is now on par with what it should have been on release. I just logged into the game again since I still have gametime left, and have noticed only a very small amount of improvement in performance. Went to do some combat, and low and behold, the mob disapeared before my eyes, are Sigil actually going to atempt to fix this annoying issue?

In another thread one of his own guild members said he was off the mark and that the guild members in his guild are very aware of the issues and are frustrated and that not everything is as peachy as Thamoris makes it out to be.

Fair enough Thamoris that you love the game, but you don't have to post on every topic saying the exact same thing. And the game is FAR from being at release state. Some of your "views" are too optimistic.

Currently Playing: Everything but MMORPGs
    Cancelled: L2, FFXI, VSoH, LotRO, WAR, WoW
    Looking Forward To: SW:TOR

• andyjdandyjd Member Posts: 229
    I don't quite see how a game which doesn't even have any helm graphics can be given that high a score...

I may have posted statements that VG is relatively bug free. Vanguard IS relatively bug free for me. Relative to my experiences ... most of the issues have been worked out ..the few that remain don't take much away from the game for me.

So.....whats your point ? Did I make a claim that Vanguard has lots of bugs...contradicting myself? ...no..I don't think so. I think you are sounding delusional...because your post doesn't make any sense.

Originally posted by xAlrythx

Yeah this guy has posted his thoughts of VSoH in every known forum with a title including the words "sigil" or "vanguard". Like you said he claimed in another forum that the game is now on par with what it should have been on release. I just logged into the game again since I still have gametime left, and have noticed only a very small amount of improvement in performance. Went to do some combat, and low and behold, the mob disapeared before my eyes, are Sigil actually going to atempt to fix this annoying issue?

In another thread one of his own guild members said he was off the mark and that the guild members in his guild are very aware of the issues and are frustrated and that not everything is as peachy as Thamoris makes it out to be.

Fair enough Thamoris that you love the game, but you don't have to post on every topic saying the exact same thing. And the game is FAR from being at release state. Some of your "views" are too optimistic.

We will have to agree to disagree then. I have not had a disapearing mob in weeks. I encounter very little stutter. I seldom crash. This is a direct result of upgrading to 3gp or ram and some fixes Sigil has done with the code. Memory leaks are no more.

I think you logged in...EXPECTING...and LOOKING for fault. I suspect you are exaggerating your experience to further reinforce your point of view.

Either way...play it...don't play it...I really don't give a damn. I am just sharing my experiences from MY PERSPECTIVE for those who may fancy the read.

one more thing...I have not posted on nearly every forums. I post only here, guild forums, and still occasionaly in the Horizons game forums.

I do post my opinion on many Vanguard threads. Is that a crime? I thought that's what these boards are for.

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975
    Originally posted by RonnyRulz

Originally posted by Vrazule

Yes, the world graphics are pretty, but they still lack all of the small touches that you would expect in a 3rd generation game.

Yea, that's because Vanguard isn't a 3rd generation game.

Do you really think any game that comes out in the next 2 years is going to be a 3rd generation game , its just a name
  • TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

Eh, a 9 is a really high score actually. I mean if the scale is 1-10 1 being trash, and 10 being gaming perfection then a 9 is pretty darned good. Don't get me wrong I like vanguard, but it definitely doesnt desereve a 9. I'd shoot it a 7 at most currently. They need to add helm graphics, and more faces/hairstyles. I'd also like to see my character make some different facial animations, I mean I could get stabbed in the face and my character would keep his same plain dead face. Atleast in a lot of other games the characters react to different emotes and such. I can type laugh or cry and my character somehow does both with his mouth closed....

Oh...and writing "warning 3-5% of players will encounter game breaking bugs" should definitely lower the score by 2 points atleast.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

The OP lost all credibility with me by giving the models a '9' and the graphics a '10'.

Now I've seen the screenshots and videos on Youtube and you won't find more artistically lifeless models outside of EQ2 but this is all subjective of course.   There are people who like the plastic-doll look of EQ2, they think it's 'realistic'.     Personally I don't want to play a game that looks like realistic plastic dolls, I want a game that has artistic character.   The old 2D sprite game like Diablo oozed more character than any video of Vanguard I've ever seen. 

But on the subject of graphics, that is another matter.   The OP crows about the game's animations and neglects to mention ALL the character animations are the same regardless of race.   This one fact ALONE should be enough to drop a game by 4-5 points and put it firmly it the 'still in beta' category. 

The MMORPG industry needs to move beyond producing half-finished games.   As long as people continue to blindly support companies that do the genre will continue to suffer for it. 

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

The OP lost all credibility with me by giving the models a '9' and the graphics a '10'.
    Now I've seen the screenshots and videos on Youtube and you won't find more artistically lifeless models outside of EQ2 but this is all subjective of course.   There are people who like the plastic-doll look of EQ2, they think it's 'realistic'.     Personally I don't want to play a game that looks like realistic plastic dolls, I want a game that has artistic character.   The old 2D sprite game like Diablo oozed more character than any video of Vanguard I've ever seen. 
    But on the subject of graphics, that is another matter.   The OP crows about the game's animations and neglects to mention ALL the character animations are the same regardless of race.   This one fact ALONE should be enough to drop a game by 4-5 points and put it firmly it the 'still in beta' category. 
    The MMORPG industry needs to move beyond producing half-finished games.   As long as people continue to blindly support companies that do the genre will continue to suffer for it. 

Though I respect your opinion. I don't think the character models look like plastic dolls at all. Each school is packed full with unique attack, block, and parry animations. I watch people do different kicks, punches, spells, and weapon attacks all the time. I saw a disciple swing his blade and follow up with a kick to the mid section yesterday. All of my characters have very unique and distinct battle animations. Have you even played Vanguard? .....least in the past few weeks?

No mmo is complete at launch....they are constantly evolving beasts...almost to the point of a living organism.

Did you play ALL the characters? According to your post " ALL " character animations look the same....this means you have seen and compared " ALL" character animations.

Do you have some examples?

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Realistic? No

Flamebait? Yes

Still working your agenda...

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

Originally posted by TedDanson

Eh, a 9 is a really high score actually. I mean if the scale is 1-10 1 being trash, and 10 being gaming perfection then a 9 is pretty darned good. Don't get me wrong I like vanguard, but it definitely doesnt desereve a 9. I'd shoot it a 7 at most currently. They need to add helm graphics, and more faces/hairstyles. I'd also like to see my character make some different facial animations, I mean I could get stabbed in the face and my character would keep his same plain dead face. Atleast in a lot of other games the characters react to different emotes and such. I can type laugh or cry and my character somehow does both with his mouth closed....

Oh...and writing "warning 3-5% of players will encounter game breaking bugs" should definitely lower the score by 2 points atleast.

We have to agree to disagree then.

Feel free to write your own review if you like. Then you can place whatever value you want on the scoring system. I don't think my scores are high...naturaly...because I made the scores. Based on my perspective and stated experience...those scores reflect what I think of Vanguard. I happen to think very highly of Vanguard.

Originally posted by Harafnir

Realistic? No
    Flamebait? Yes
    Still working your agenda...
    I have no agenda other than supporting and sharing the good news that Vanguard is a great game...which is only going to get better. Encouraging those willing to listen to come play too !
  • MarkajMarkaj Member Posts: 165

Do you have some examples?

With all due respect, everyone has realized that giving you examples is a futile attempt. He says, the character models look like plastic barbie dolls and you say, no they don't. So, what is the point of trying to give examples?

Yes, the character models indeed look like plastic barbie dolls. Especially on top of realistic backgrounds this looks all the more incongrous and is an eye tearing failure of artistic consistency. And yes, animations are indeed 1st generation.

But you will say, no they don't! So what is the point? One could as well argue with a wall and get better replies.

CONTRIBUTE INTO THE GAMING INDUSTRY! STOP PAYING FOR BORING COPYCATS, UNFINISHED BUGFESTS AND CRANKY JUNKWARE. BE A RESPONSIBLE GAMER!

• HandsomeHussHandsomeHuss Member UncommonPosts: 100

I liked your review, it focused on the positives, and I'll be picking up the game later today partly because of it. When reading reviews, I'd rather read about what a game does have to offer, than what it doesn't/should.

However, the one problem with your review is the wording of the title. 'Realistic'. Your review is as opinionated and biased as they come, and thats fine - you did say that you had no intention of being unbiased. BUT, by stating that your review is the Realistic view of things, you are, probably unintentionally, calling the other reviews Unrealistic..aka, Wrong.

The thing is, those other reviews are just people's opinions, same as your's, and nobody's opinion is more Right than anybody else's.

Anyways, still, I liked your review, and I'll be Vanguarding it up later today.

• magpie1412magpie1412 Member Posts: 88

A recent accumilation of the last 48 hours activity in Vanguards technical support forums. (Official)

1. 7 Years of MMORPG and Vanguard is the first unplayable game

2. Freeze While loading Character select screen

3. Fatal Error when leaving populated areas

4. Graphics Corruption throughout UI

5. Just installed, crash every time i try and run the game

6. Many more crashes since patching

7. Cannot Initialize Patcher / Update

8. Geforce 8800 Series users post if still crashing (120 posts, 3000 Views)

9. Game will not last

10. Game Unplayable since patch

11. Crashing after hitting play

12. Are crashes to Character Select and Desktop using 7900GTX a known issue

13. Memory Leak / CTD for Devs

14. Urecoverable Error after "Play" button

15. No guild tag + No Friends / Ignore lists since last patch

16. Crash after 9 minutes - VGClient.log included

17. Where do i cancel

18. Cant Start Vanguard Need help

19. Black Screen in Game

20. Disappearing Bars and Menus

21. White Textures with 8800GTX

22. Experience Rollback

23. Gets to load Screen and Dies

24. Sorry but this game is garbage

25. Game Optimization - Is it Coming?

26. Still Crashing after every patch every hour with Virtual Memory issues

27. Vanguard Promises not kept

28. Guys seriously there is no point in complaining because...

29. Severe FPS drop, Pause, lagging

30. Cant get stable FPS

No offence im really glad the OP is having fun in his game of choice because that is what he has decided to pay for playing. He is also very lucky and fortunate to either have not experienced the game breaking issues many many others have or indeed he has the ability to play past them. That is indeed a true dedication.

However this game IS NOT without its SERIOUS issues currently, and before you buy a retail package i would STRONGLY reccomend trying the game out on a buddy key or trial if possible. It would also be worth taking a look at the OFFICIAL technical support forums where current PAYING SUBSCRIBERS to the game are trying to gather assistance for issues.

The technical support forum activity is a substantial factor in the argument that this product still has a long way to go before it can be considered by the AVERAGE gamer a trouble free play experience, ABOVE AND BEYOND the normal glitches expected of an MMORPG product.

Mag
  • TacolaTacola Member CommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by magpie1412

A recent accumilation of the last 48 hours activity in Vanguards technical support forums. (Official)

9. Game will not last

17. Where do i cancel

19. Black Screen in Game

22. Experience Rollback

30. Cant get stable FPS

No offence im really glad the OP is having fun in his game of choice because that is what he has decided to pay for playing. He is also very lucky and fortunate to either have not experienced the game breaking issues many many others have or indeed he has the ability to play past them. That is indeed a true dedication.

However this game IS NOT without its SERIOUS issues currently, and before you buy a retail package i would STRONGLY reccomend trying the game out on a buddy key or trial if possible. It would also be worth taking a look at the OFFICIAL technical support forums where current PAYING SUBSCRIBERS to the game are trying to gather assistance for issues.

The technical support forum activity is a substantial factor in the argument that this product still has a long way to go before it can be considered by the AVERAGE gamer a trouble free play experience, ABOVE AND BEYOND the normal glitches expected of an MMORPG product.

Mag

Dude, 30 complaints, some potenially for the same users and others just critcisms with over 100k subs, and it is has only just passed the second month.  I personelly havent had one of the problems mentioned above.   Serious issues would imply that it effects a majority of the people playing, which is not the case.  Most who play without incident but post.  So of course you see all the people that have issues posting.  And VG wasnt not meant for the average gamer, it was said from the start that it is for hardcore players.  With the correct hardware VG is a great game indeed.  It is funny that people will trash a game because THEY have preformance issues, while others arent having a problem.  I play MMORPG to play with others not solo, although it is a myth that there is no soloing in VG, so I am defending against falsehoods and statements with the only propose is to turn people away from VG.  Not help people work with configurations to make the game better but the statements like "DONT TRY THIS GAME" or  "THIS GAME IS A POS". 

If VG genre is the one you like, you should without a doubt try the game, you might like it as I do, or you might not as some others dont.  But I am not going to tell you not to try it.  Anyone who is truthrully tring to help other games wouldnt say "Dont Try It".  They might say it wasnt the game for them, so never be influenced out of tring a game in the genre you like, that has a soild fanbase just because someone here says not it.   And if the $50 is a big beal to spend, well then you proably have other RL issues you need to attended to instead of wasting time in a MMORPG.  Again all this is in MHO.

• Originally posted by Tacola

Dude, 30 complaints, some potenially for the same users and others just critcisms with over 100k subs....
    100k subs.  LOL.  Once the buddy key players are gone and the first few waves of cancellations hit, this game is going to be a ghost town.  But don't worry;  Brad will keep spouting his political-esque fluff about how wonderful the game is doing, yet, still not willing to reveal actual numbers.  Isn't that just convenient.
    Originally posted by Tacola

Originally posted by magpie1412

9. Game will not last

17. Where do i cancel

19. Black Screen in Game

22. Experience Rollback

30. Cant get stable FPS

Mag

Dude, 30 complaints, some potenially for the same users and others just critcisms with over 100k subs, and it is has only just passed the second month.  I personelly havent had one of the problems mentioned above.   Serious issues would imply that it effects a majority of the people playing, which is not the case.  Most who play without incident but post.  So of course you see all the people that have issues posting.  And VG wasnt not meant for the average gamer, it was said from the start that it is for hardcore players.  With the correct hardware VG is a great game indeed.  It is funny that people will trash a game because THEY have preformance issues, while others arent having a problem.  I play MMORPG to play with others not solo, although it is a myth that there is no soloing in VG, so I am defending against falsehoods and statements with the only propose is to turn people away from VG.  Not help people work with configurations to make the game better but the statements like "DONT TRY THIS GAME" or  "THIS GAME IS A POS". 

If VG genre is the one you like, you should without a doubt try the game, you might like it as I do, or you might not as some others dont.  But I am not going to tell you not to try it.  Anyone who is truthrully tring to help other games wouldnt say "Dont Try It".  They might say it wasnt the game for them, so never be influenced out of tring a game in the genre you like, that has a soild fanbase just because someone here says not it.   And if the $50 is a big beal to spend, well then you proably have other RL issues you need to attended to instead of wasting time in a MMORPG.  Again all this is in MHO.

Well said !

As another poster said here a page back...it's nice to hear a review focused on the positives. ( paraphrased ) All mmorpg''s have plenty of their own negatives...it all just depends on if the postives outweigh the negatives ...WHICH ....is different for everyone.

• AarupslayerAarupslayer Member Posts: 3

I have played a lot of the released MMORG games in the last 5 years including Vanguard.

I dare to say, it's the most bad  MMORG game, I have ever played, even more bad than RF Online when Codemasters released it in Europe one year ago.

I just bought a brand new PC system with a Nvidia 8800 GTX card, Dual core 6000+ processor, 2 GB DDR2 ram and Windows XP Pro. I have never withness a game that look so ugly and generic without any art style at all, and at the same time the game play so choppy and with very low FPS. In the Gnome city inside the mountain, I get in averages 10 to 15 FPS at a resolution of 1280 * 1024. It's not even possible to turn Anti Aliasing on, there's jaggies everywhere I look. We're supposed to be living in year 2007.

I could could go on with a very long list of complaints an very few pros, but english is not my native language...

To sum it up: I think, I would lie to people, who have not yet vasted 58 bucks on this game (Thats the price for the Digital Download, if you are resident in Europe),  if I gave Vanguard an overall score higher than 6 out of 10.