Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest: IGN Preview of the new GFX engine!

ZoharZohar Southington, CTPosts: 673Member

On April 5th, 2004, (sorry we were late!) IGN got a sneak peak at the new graphics engine for Everquest. Here are some of the features in the new graphics engine (take directly from, all credit goes to IGN and their staff):

Environmental Effects
-- Better special effects for rain and snow

-- Realistic sky gradient
-- Advanced star rendering
-- Multiple cloud patches moving independently

Animation and Skinning: Advanced animations with animation blending and stretching of skin.
-- Hierarchical bone-based animation of models
-- Animated textures (both color map and bump map)
-- Animation mixing (each bone can perform a separate animation)
-- Animation blending (between successive animations, either additive or averaged)
-- Single-bone skinning supported for original assets

Asset Handling:
-- More efficient loading of geometry and textures
-- Option to turn off rendering of a piece of a given object

Bump Mapping
-- Standard bump (normal) mapping (zones and characters)

Collision System: all new code
-- Faster in many ways
-- Numerous bugs in old system eliminated
-- Client & server share the exact collision code now
-- Line of sight tests in all zones should now be possible without substantial CPU penalty
-- Improved targetting

Lighting: Higher quality dynamic lighting supporting features such as flickering candles.
-- Normal maps for dynamic and static per-pixel lighting (diffuse and specular)
-- Use of glow and gloss maps for self-illuminating and specular intensity

-- Tinting of skin layer
-- Single layer texturing for NPCs includes color map, bump/glow/gloss map
-- Two texture layers for old character art (for skin and clothes)
-- Color keying as required for transparency on old art assets
-- Detail texturing as required for Luclin terrain, etc.

The changes are amazing, make sure to click on the following link to look at how rats and bats will look:

-=MMORPG.COM Staff=-

• GunharpGunharp Woodinville, WAPosts: 2,890Member

Well looking at the screenshots, and what not compared to the old i have to looks a lot better.

|_105th Panzer Brigade_|

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Columbus, OHPosts: 996Member

The greatest concern about EQ2 is everyone, including those here at MMORPG, only speak of the wonderful graphics. While that sounds impressive, I whence every time I read a review, a laundry list like that is going to require more horse power, on top of what was a already an over bloated engine.

Eye candy will get to you look, but it doesn't get you to pay for a second month.

I've seen very little about gameplay, and how they indent to correct the problems of EQ1. Except of course from John Blakely, who says and I quote:

"We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..." (you just can't pay for entertainment like this)

It will be interesting to see what happens to EQ, it's audience, and EQ2 over the course of the next year.

"We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• GunharpGunharp Woodinville, WAPosts: 2,890Member

Exaclty Clever..

your so clever...

|_105th Panzer Brigade_|