Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Everquest: Back from the Grave Ye Go!

MaximaneMaximane New Westminster, BCPosts: 625Member

The folks down at Sony Online Entertainment have implemented a new zone to Everquest which will enable players to do what was formerly impossible - to have access to their corpses after they have decayed!  Seven days after a corpse has decayed a player may travel to "Shadowrest" via NPC where they may retrieve their corpse.  Here is an eerie snippet from their article:

"The deal has been sealed," he said. "The Keeper has agreed to grant us access to the Shadowrest."...

..."Yes. The price was high, but the prize was worth the cost," Maelin said. "This issue is closed, there will be no further discussion.  Our emissaries will be sent out -- all that ask will be granted access to Shadowrest."

It is a dream come true for players of Everquest...

The article, with complete details (including NPC locations), can be found here.

--------------------
Alex "Maximane" De Line
- MMORPG.COM Staff -
maximane@mmorpg.com

Comments

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Eau Claire, WIPosts: 1,694Member

They should have had that whilst I played!  I would still be playing to THIS day if I had not had the chance to see my corpse decay and lose all of the armor I worked so very hard for. image

"The difference between a millionaire and a ditchdigger is the millionaire thinks different and spends his time doing productive things"

- MMORPG.COM STAFF -

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• MaximaneMaximane New Westminster, BCPosts: 625Member

killerTwinkie I feel for you. I left Everquest after I lost the corpse to my bard on Kunark. Oh what I would have given for this feature back then!

--------------------
    Alex "Maximane" De Line
    - MMORPG.COM Staff -
    maximane@mmorpg.com

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Eau Claire, WIPosts: 1,694Member
    I had so much stuff it was unbelievable... ah.  I still sometimes to this day get an EQ ache.  THe want to play it. image

That's what happens though when a feature completely ruins all aspects of the word "FUN" in a game.  You just up and dump it.  I wonder if I can recall my old corpse.

"The difference between a millionaire and a ditchdigger is the millionaire thinks different and spends his time doing productive things"

- MMORPG.COM STAFF -

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• neschrianeschria Johnstown, PAPosts: 1,441Member

I guess this is a good thing.

I can't say that I will ever use it; I have never had a corpse rot, and I can count the number of times my corpse has gone unrezzable on one hand... Being married to a cleric and being able to summon your own corpse helps a lot though. *G* Aside from that, I've always been surrounded by people with uberCR skills-- I've witnessed some beautiful recoveries in awful places. But I've also been on pick-up raids where the CR stretches to hours, and people start getting nasty with each other. That sucks butt. This does present a solution for times when you end up with an impossible CR, or for when real life interferes with your ability to get back on for 7 days. (Been there, done that, but never with a corpse lying around.)

~*~
    neschria
    Bludgeoner of Bunnies

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• MistiMisti Seattle, WAPosts: 724Member
    I dont understand why this feature would be needed but it cant hurt I guess.  I have never come even remotely close to having a corpse rot in 4 years of playing.  You would have to deliberately not go loot it for over a week and why would you ever do that?

• rimedragonarimedragona Wisconsin Rapids, WIPosts: 1Member

image  I have been waiting for this forever! ^_^ I've had some close calls, because I have a very busy schedule.  If it's the end of the night, and I'm tired, and I make a mistake, I don't want to have to worry about having to either stay up until I recover it, or worry about being able to make it back in time.

It's not so much that I would do it deliberately, but that I might end up having a schedule that doesn't allow for EQ time.  Which happens... and really sucks.  image

Rime

http://www.stormpages.com/yourstruly -- Weredragon's Delight
    ---
    Jadana - Barbarian Warrior -- Magelo
    Silvriun - Dark Elf Rogue -- Magelo

http://www.stormpages.com/yourstruly -- Weredragon's Delight
    ---
    Jadana - Barbarian Warrior -- Magelo
    Silvriun - Dark Elf Rogue -- Magelo

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Columbus, OHPosts: 996Member

Originally posted by Misti
    I dont understand why this feature would be needed but it cant hurt I guess.  I have never come even remotely close to having a corpse rot in 4 years of playing.  You would have to deliberately not go loot it for over a week and why would you ever do that?

I have to agree with Misti.

Now maybe if they had a command to insta pop your corpse to whever, then it might be worthwhile. It would be a way of retro-fitting old zones with GY's.

-=-=-=-=-
    Make no mistake, MMORPG's are not games, they are hobbies. If you have a job, you'll need to give up watching TV in order to play one. You'll be better off for it.

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• atalantisatalantis Cols, OHPosts: 105Member
    It would be kind of humorous if you went there to get your corpse and had to find it amongst the hundreds of thousands of people that have let their corpses rot down there.  You'd spend another lifetime just looking for it...

http://www.mysticwars.com - Text MMORPG