Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Will it Work With Vista?

Comments

• OwynOwyn Member Posts: 337

I cannot imagine that many serious gamers out there are using Vista; those who are, will probably be switching back to XP for the next year or so.

Vista has enough driver issues to sink a ship.  Expect to take about a 10% framerate hit on almost every DX9 pc game.  On the plus side, Vista actually runs DX7 games *better* than XP (because XP drivers are optimized for DX9, while Vista drivers are unoptimized, and run everything equally badly, and yes this was tested).  So yank out those golden oldies!  ;)

Vista is a memory hog; in an era where games are going to start requiring 1-2gb of RAM to run well, the idea of running an OS that eats MORE of my RAM is ludicrous.

We've got two guildmembers playing Vanguard who bought new machines and are running Vista, and can't talk in Teamspeak while they are in game.  They can hear; but not speak.  TS works OK out of game, but not in game...  I saw a number of these odd little "quirks" out there while checking out Vista earlier.

So basically, Vista is a RAM hog, has huge driver issues, won't run some of my software, and the stuff it WILL run it often runs badly.  What do we get in return for these issues?  Nothing.  Vista basically adds DX10, which isn't being used for a single MMORPG (yet) and is hardly in use for singleplayer games.  Vista is a pile of steaming fewmets foisted off on the public by a company with a reputation for building terrible operating systems (Win 3.0, Win 3.1, Win ME ring any bells?).

Maybe in a year or two Vista will be worth getting.  Til then, I'll be sticking with XP, and so will most other folks, I suspect.

Owyn
    Commander, Defenders of Order
    http://www.defendersoforder.com

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by Veiled_light

Nope because them faces were done on DX9 and that flight simulator wasn't done in real time :P

Heh, you're in a way so right about Flight Simulator X that it borders on being funny. It's unreal how much hardware it takes to run that thing in real time under DX9. If you think Vanguard is bad, stay far away from FS X. Some people have settled with FPS ranging from 10-15 and that's about where I start drawing the line between real time and rendering, because at 10 FPS it just isn't playable anymore. At this moment, the flight sim community isn't putting their hopes into seeing what you see in that DX10 screenshot. They're putting their hopes into DX10 and the upcoming service pack making FS X playable because of optimizations (the DX10 patch hasn't even been made for FS X yet). Whether that is a realistic hope or not, I can't say since I'm not an expert on DX 9/10, nor do I know the inner workings on FS X.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• KhazyKhazy Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by TARDISjunkie

In reference to the Ageia (sp?) PhysX drivers: In your article, you specifically mentioned that no game uses them.  Well...that's not quite accurate.  City of Heroes/Villains does use them, at least in a limited fashion. 

Just throwing in an addition regarding PhysX. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter uses it and installs at least some of the drivers for the engine. Then again, it's not a MMO, if that has anything to say. But it works quite fine in Vista

Among MMO's, I've tried EQ2, WoW, Eve and Anarchy Online on my comp since I installed Vista, and didn't run into any problems. I've got a pretty old comp, nothing fancy (Dell Inspiron 9100), and I actually got a small performance boost in EQ2 compared to XP. In addition I've got numerous other games that I've tried, and really, I've not been kicked to desktop or crashed neither more nor less than I ever did in XP. The only games I've not managed to run fine is the ones who needs DX9 files, but I guess patches are being written as I type this.

Not saying that Vista is without it's faults, but I don't think it has deserved all the criticism sites are generally throwing at it. But then again, it's just based on my experience and my opinions. :)
  • WudinnaWudinna Member UncommonPosts: 19

Oke, maybe not really the place, but i just have to get this of my chest!

About 4 months ago i upgraded my pc to the max and installed Vista Beta. Everything worked so i thought "let's try this Second Life thing everyones talking about" So i installed it no problem.... that is until i wanted to run it and got a "generic error".

So i tried the faq's and found out that everyone using vista had the same problem and the first  user-question bout this was from August. The only thing SL had to say about this was that the video-drivers should be updated (my card was brand new and had all new drivers, so this was not the case!)

A month later SL still hadn't done anything about it, so i posted an angry reply about SL apperently not wanting to service their customers and that they at least lost me as a client and called out to other to do the same and hopefully pressuring SL into taking action.

About a month later (i hadn't been back since my last reply) a saw that clients weren't able to post anymore on the subject and SL refused to update their game claiming "not being able to adjust their game to a OS that was not available for purchase yet".

So how come almost every MMorpg is playable on a OS that is not for sale yet, except SL. That to me is just a sign of lazyness, of not being willing to ajust to new situations, just like an old dog, you can't teach them new tricks.

I myself refuse to play SL ever again and just stick to WoW, who even thought the mess up sometimes, always have a quick and new solution handy!

• nunes_znunes_z Member Posts: 5
    i think im gonna stick with windows xp for a couple of months. Maybe in a year vista is ready for gamers.
  • DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Quote:

"Keep gaming on Windows XP for now"

It is common knowledge to never and I mean NEVER install a new O/S from Microsoft that just released.

Rule of thumb is to give a new O/S from Microsft 6 months to a year before most software, games and devices are compatible with it.

However good article for those that had no clue on this and bought it anyways.

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146

I'm playing Wow , GW and EVE on Vista 64x.  I cannot use my SLI because Nvidia doesn't have the drivers out yet. However, the games look better and play just as well with one 7800GTX  in Vista as they did with 2 cards in xp. As far as sound cards go, I just have the abit sound card that came with the motherbaord. Sound works great! sounds the same as it always did. I guess I got lucky.  I love Vista, I think it works great! I do have 4 gigs of ram. That might be one reason  Vista works so well for me.

I did have a lot of installation issues.

Whatever you do, if you have more than one hard drive. Disconnect all but one, before you install Vista. Then reconnect the others after Vista has installed, otherwise. Your in for a nightmare.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727
    all that trouble.. just to run games on the worst OS ever, and you guys are trying to let them run as good as on the second worst OS..

btw, not only the gaming is a problem on windows vista, where are the updates? only downgrades.. their new "security" system uses way to much physical memory, and it still sucks as before

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• FobokFobok Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by erandur

all that trouble.. just to run games on the worst OS ever, and you guys are trying to let them run as good as on the second worst OS..

While I haven't tried Vista, I've heard the same complaints about XP when it comes out. But, I'll say now what I said then, because as much problems as I've heard people have with Windows Vista, they don't compare to the badly designed and terribly programmed crap that was Windows Millenium..

Personally, I won't be upgrading to Vista until probably next year, unless I buy a new computer sometime between now and then.  
  • ReaverKaneReaverKane Member Posts: 11
    Well, maybe now we'll get more Linux Compatibles...

Sry, didn't read anything above...

It just disgusts me that Microsoft gets away with doing as it pleases, and software (and hardware) manufacturers, still go after what Microsoft does or says...

The Direct Sound thing its jsut a way for Microsoft to monopolise our software even further...

• RiSqU3RiSqU3 Member Posts: 67
    ya want vista? get the luna vista theme for xp, and voila you have vista with windows xp :P

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by cerebrix

i was with you on this article until i read you vsync comments.

then i realized you are just posting other peoples fixes with no idea yourself how to troubleshoot or understand technology properly.

next time you guys need an experienced technician to write a real technical evaluation give me a call.

im sorry but the only problem you were having with vsync was known as a pebkac error.  p.e.b.k.a.c (problem exists between keyboard and chair).

the only problem was your lack of understanding of how it works.  vsync is BASIC stuff.  like page 5 of a tech manual basic stuff.

you should be embarrased for that article.  i'm embarassed that i read it.
    Actually, no.

There is no direct correlation between sound and video.

The person who found this error either is VERY knowledgeable or lucky.

Vertical synchronization

"Computer games often allow vertical synchronization as an option, but is sometimes disabled because it has the effect of limiting frame rates to the monitor's refresh rate frequency."

<snip>

Removed because I was being a prick. Sorry mate, bad day.

</snip>

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

btw, not only the gaming is a problem on windows vista, where are the updates? only downgrades.. their new "security" system uses way to much physical memory, and it still sucks as before
    Right.. so let me get this straight, you're saying the Vista and XP are the first and second worst OSes ever made?

What about Linux? Yeah, I said it.

Its an unusable toy that only the most dedicated zealots can get any value out of.

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.

• RiSqU3RiSqU3 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by kedoremos

Right.. so let me get this straight, you're saying the Vista and XP are the first and second worst OSes ever made?

Its an unusable toy that only the most dedicated zealots can get any value out of.

soo the ps3 is unstable? ive never seen the ps3 crash... gah stupid quote shit..cant get it to work

Originally posted by RiSqU3

soo the ps3 is unstable? ive never seen the ps3 crash... gah stupid quote shit..cant get it to work

The PS3's OS is an embedded OS. That's comparing apples and oranges.

The PS3 only has to support one hardware spec - the PS3.

Under these conditions any OS would be solid as a rock.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

you looked almost credible until this statement.  you might want to tell nasa their time is worthless.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

you looked almost credible until this statement.  you might want to tell nasa their time is worthless.

<snip>

Fair enough, I should have been more specific.

We were comparing desktop OSes, were we not? I wouldn't expect NASA to run a desktop OS on their super computers.

Linux is a good server OS. Every knows this. That's the reason I got certified in Redhat to begin with. Linux has no business being on the desktop of anyone but the most *power* of the power users.

<snip>

thanks for showing good taste and editing your original post.

I also edited my previous post to you. Maybe I was a tad harsh.

p.s. I quit for many many many good reasons. Not the least of which was their commitment to offshoring talented software engineers to India.

</snip>

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

see again i have to disagree.  my girlfriend has been running linspire as her primary desktop os for 2 years and she doesnt know the difference between a text editor and a paint program.

she surfs the web, watches movies online, watches tv and uses it as a dvr, edits her website, plays games online (mostly flash stuff), and doesnt have a single problem.  i also dont think its been rebooted in 7 or so months.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• IzemanIzeman Member Posts: 9

Hi everybody.

I have to slightly disagree with most forum users here.

You say Vista is not ready for games right now, that one should wait until first SP to even start considering the new OS, but that's not quite true. I bought XP a week after it came out. It had some issues but most of my hardware was supported and in a couple of months I was able to run a stable, fully configured PC.

I think the worst problem with Vista is NOT Vista itself. The problem is that hardware manufacturers clearly ignored the RTM and started working on compatible drivers AFTER Vista had been released. I do not blame Microsoft for Vista not fully working: most of my harware runs just fine with Vista drivers. I do not have full control on RAID HDDs, LAN card advanced features, MoBo tweaking, etc...but THAT is due to manufacturers who didn't come out with a full fledged driver BEFORE Vista release date. And they had plenty of time!

I run Vista with microsoft drivers for everything except TV card (I run manufacturer drivers for XP, which run great) and videocard (I use nVidia drivers 97.46 which run just fine, even if I don't have all the setting I had on XP) and everytime I try a manufacturer updated Vista driver, everything turns to crap! Clearly the problem is that HW manufacturers are NOW in the works for Vista drivers, so the blame's on them if our PCs are not running fine.

Everything in Vista that has nothing to do with third party hardware and its advanced settings is running crap with manufacturer's drivers; everything else in Vista is working flawlessly.

Think about it...

see again i have to disagree.  my girlfriend has been running linspire as her primary desktop os for 2 years and she doesnt know the difference between a text editor and a paint program.

she surfs the web, watches movies online, watches tv and uses it as a dvr, edits her website, plays games online (mostly flash stuff), and doesnt have a single problem.  i also dont think its been rebooted in 7 or so months.
    If I were to say the Apple ][e was a slow and useless system I'm sure someone would find a way to argue with me.

There are hundreds of Linux distributions out there and the vast majority or worthless piles of crap as far as the desktop market is concerned. Simple things like installing a printer can take DAYS (I'm not kidding here). Getting your Wi-Fi to work can take DAYS.

If you want to upgrade your wireless card, printer, video or sound card you're going to spend MUCH more time getting it to work than you would on a Mac or Windows OS.

Don't get my wrong here. I like Linux. I've used it since 1996. I'm the freaking maintainer for MS Money 2004 on Wine for Linux. I've written patches to get Fedora Core 3 to run on a VMWare ESX virtual machine. I have an open source project currently running on sourceforge. The only GUI toolkit I'll use for C++ is wxWidgets so I can ensure multi-platform capatability.

Here's the deal:

If you want a computer that works for you: chose Windows or Mac.

If you want a computer that you can use as a learning tool so you can eventually get into the IT field: choose Windows, Mac, or Linux.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

give away tech advice for free?

wow youre a comedian

How would you know?

Not to sound rude or anything but you appear to be a person who has never had a smile on his face.

By your own definition you seem as ill equipped to talk about humour, or any positive human feeling, as you claim Stradden is to talk about Vista.

Just my own personal reflection judging from your posts, and one that is just as eligible as your initial one.

Great article Stradden by the way, not going to get Vista anytime soon but I got a few good laughs out of your write-up, and that always makes for a good day.

If only the cynical megalomaniacs on this site could learn to laugh once in a while, ( and no, laughing at a dog getting hit by a car does NOT count ), this place migth have been an ever better place.

Cheers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• SayosakaSayosaka Member Posts: 4
    I love reading these threads. So much immature banter.

Anyway, while it didn't apply to me in the slightest as I won't be getting Vista, I enjoyed the article.
  • WarasatsumWarasatsum Member Posts: 2

Hello All,

ok I have not had many problems with Vista to date but I learned something right away about starting games like Wow under vista.

(1) Right click your shortcut and click run as Admistrator.

(2) if your still having issues right click short cut/ properties and run your games in WinXp Compatiblity mode.

Most of the problems are caused by the firewalls and permission settings in Vista these steps help alot especially if your game client has auto-updates.

If you patch manually , Right click the patch.exe and run it in Admin mode also

Good luck!!!!

VISTA  ROCKS :)

War

• fgauerfgauer Member Posts: 111

Hi,

I think the article is very well written, but I think it gives an unfair account on several points.

First of all, all my games run fantastic on Windows Vista. I've loaded up Guild Wars, WoW, several first person shooters, Auto Assault and Vanguard and the performance is not only flawless, but downright impressive. I'm running Duo Core 2.13 with 2 gigs of RAM and a GEForce 7600 256mb card. Everything runs great if it is supported by decent hardware and a decent processor. In fact, it's quite astonishing.

Secondly, the conclusion on Vanguard is dead wrong. Last night I was loading video from my camcorder in the backround while running Vanguard on all HIGH settings. Vanguard was running without a hitch. Not a single hiccup, or framerate loss, or anything. I kept flipping between applications and the processor was yawning - literally asking for more work to do.

Also, the conclusion on audio is off base. The audio is fantastic in Vanguard running under Vista. It was so brilliant even during the load of the CD's all I could do was sit there and crank the speakers and just enjoy it. Also, during gameplay it never cuts out on Vista (it does on my Pentium 4 HT 3.0 though - running XP - it's choppy and horrible actually) and is absolutely fantastic.

The key is that a box needs to be equipped with the proper hardware to run Vista, and then the results will literally blow you away. There is no reason to avoid Vista in my opinion. They have paid billions of dollars to develop this operating system, and it really shows in every aspect.

I do not with to bash the author of this article, but in my opinion it is not a fair assessment of the state of gaming on Vista.   

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    My advice to anyone considering Vista:

Keep considering it till next year.  Then get it if you're still considering it.

Also:

If you are going to plunge into Vista do NOT skimp... buy Ultimate... it runs games MUCH better than home and moderately better than enterprise.

But my first advice stands:  Don't upgrade to Vista till next year.  Give MS time to patch the hell out of it, it's already got several known issues.  Let them knock the kinks out for a year.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

This discussion has been closed.