Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doing the trial and I have a question

gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
I've been giving the trial a shot for a couple of days now with my buddy.

We were kind of wondering something though.  Is what we've been doing the way it is through the whole game?  What I mean is the finish a mission, get a new one, repeat.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, just honestly wanting to know if anything different ever happens,

Thanks.

===============================

Comments

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446

I tried this game out too, got to mid 20s and got totally bored, while it is a very fun game, there doesnt seem to be much to offer.

Though I didnt try wars, like theres guild Bases and stuff, havnt tried any PvP might want to look into that a little.

I know Im not to experienced but if an experienced player wants to counter my comment be my guest.

• meisvlkmeisvlk Member Posts: 5

well i think it depens on you too, your creativity, roleplaying talents, etc...

The game itself is always the same of course, but if you make an enjoyable character, and find a good team, the most booring missions can become very interesting.

I had a stalker char (trial), and his role in the team was always different as the enemies and gang members changed. My favorite story was when a 6 member team encountered a very though enemy and his followers. 3 of us died, others ran away after first battle, but the boss had a very low life when we ran away. I didnt want to wait for the rest of the team, so i sneaked behind the injured boss, and killed her with a sneak attack + an other hit, and when she died i jumped on the top of the nearest building, and ran away before her army could do anything :)

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    Originally posted by meisvlk

The game itself is always the same of course, but if you make an enjoyable character, and find a good team, the most booring missions can become very interesting.
    I had a stalker char (trial), and his role in the team was always different as the enemies and gang members changed. My favorite story was when a 6 member team encountered a very though enemy and his followers. 3 of us died, others ran away after first battle, but the boss had a very low life when we ran away. I didnt want to wait for the rest of the team, so i sneaked behind the injured boss, and killed her with a sneak attack + an other hit, and when she died i jumped on the top of the nearest building, and ran away before her army could do anything :)
    Well, not to disrespect your opinion, but I have to say that just doesn't work for me.  What you've described goes on in other games too, but with more creative content.  I don't mind using a little creativity and imagination in a game, but I expect the game designers to reciprocate and offer up some of their creativity as well.  This game kind of reminds me of the old arcade games where the only thing that happened was you went through the same mazes again with a higher level badge and creatures with more hit points.  Games today offer much more than that.  Like meaningful NPC's, great story lines, and most importantly diverse things to do.

If you like this game that's cool.  I'm really glad for you, seriously I want you to have fun.  But what I asked was if the game was just the same thing that I've seen so far, not someone telling me that the game isn't fun because of my lack of creativity and role playing skills.  The developers need to put some of that forward too.

So, is it the same thing through the rest of the game as far as activities?  That's all I want to know.  Thanks.

===============================

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

This game kind of reminds me of the old arcade games where the only thing that happened was you went through the same mazes again with a higher level badge and creatures with more hit points.  Games today offer much more than that.  Like meaningful NPC's, great story lines, and most importantly diverse things to do.

If you like this game that's cool.  I'm really glad for you, seriously I want you to have fun.  But what I asked was if the game was just the same thing that I've seen so far, not someone telling me that the game isn't fun because of my lack of creativity and role playing skills.  The developers need to put some of that forward too.

So, is it the same thing through the rest of the game as far as activities?  That's all I want to know.  Thanks.

You've pretty much described every mmorpg out there in that one red-inked sentence.  So, you've experienced COX's paradigm of missions.  There are also safeguard/mayhem missions,  Task Force missions and various events.  There's the arena and PvP.  There are plenty of story arcs and places to explore, even if the missions layouts do become repetitive.  Everyone wants more content though ( ' :

• candyboycandyboy Member Posts: 6

If you have intrest in it, the story archs is fun. Go there, kidnap Jim, come back, go there, find thing is boring. It get more intresting when you read the story, live the story. CoX have some cool storylines. If they don't intrest you i don't think the game will give you anything. PvP is nothing more special than other online games, task-/strike forces ain't whohoo without the storyline.

Bagde/accolade hunt can be fun as well.

The insane amount of characters is possible for altaholics.

That's what i like about the game. Hope will help you decide.

:D

• QwirkQwirk Member Posts: 136

I think the last two replies hit the nail on the head.
    If you look at it as take mission - kill 'em all - turn in - rinse - repeat
    Of course it gets boring, and that has nothing to do with CoX, but all MMO's.
    As with any game, it's when you start really following the mission text that you can see more of the depth.

For example, I seriously enjoyed, in CoH, finding out how the Clockwork King really controls his minions; or how the Circle of Thorns actually grows it's numbers.
    CoV has some great integration of the AV's (the assasinatiuon attempt on Ghost Widow, for example).

Throughout CoX, I think the storylines are great.
    If you're on the trial odds are you haven't gotten into Mayhem missions much, but those were a blast from the beginning, and get better the higher level you are (those PPD SWAT vans are impossible at first, later they're nothing but target practice).

I'm a big explorer - so the variety of environments and action just moving from Isle to Isle was loads of fun for me.

But if you're mainly focusing on leveling, then you'll be accepting missions without reading the text and grinding through mobs in repetive instance maps -- and no that's not fun. Which is why few people will ever say "Yay! Grinding is the greatest!" image

But as far as maps go, that's another common issue throughout all MMO's (and why I hate instances). Even MxO's mission locations (which are so integrated into the rest of the game world I hesitate to call them instances) have a limited template of mission maps that get reused a ton. It's the nature of the genre.

Hope that helps

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860
    Originally posted by gnomexxx

Originally posted by meisvlk

Well, not to disrespect your opinion, but I have to say that just doesn't work for me.  What you've described goes on in other games too, but with more creative content.  I don't mind using a little creativity and imagination in a game, but I expect the game designers to reciprocate and offer up some of their creativity as well.  This game kind of reminds me of the old arcade games where the only thing that happened was you went through the same mazes again with a higher level badge and creatures with more hit points.  Games today offer much more than that.  Like meaningful NPC's, great story lines, and most importantly diverse things to do.

Yes that is the heart of CoX all the missions are pretty much all generated. The lvl 50 missions are no different from the level 1 missions really. Instead of fighting arachnos you might be fighting malta or carnies. So, what they do is change the mob types that you fight. That is the gist of it. The mission types dont really change per se- you will still be doing the same type of missions at 50. At least, you do change zones. I think what they are talking bout is doing the storyline missions rather than the papers. So even though you'll still be doing the same mission types, at least you have a different story to go along with it. If you're not into those then this game isn't for you because that is the bulk of it. Not trying to be negative or anything just telling it like it is really.

The folks saying all MMOs are the same- well that is not their decision you make this yourself. just keep doing what you have been and try all the titles you can thats what I'm doing. Theres a few other titles out there that offer vastly different experiences

the other posters do have some good points however but if you dont think the other qualities bout the game overweigh the mission flaws then I dont think its for you cause leveling progression gets slower and thus, doing missions becomes even more numerous. It will get plain tedious for you unless you enjoy the stories or unless you join an SG and then you might have fun gaming with ppl you like if thats your thing

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Well the types of missions vary throughout the game.  Some are defeat X mobs, some are rescue/kidnap soando, find the Item and get out, etc.  Villains has the Mayhem and Bank Robbery to change things up a bit, Heroes just added the Safeguard missions.

Not to mention you can change the difficulty of your missions at any time by visiting a Fortuana (villains) or Field Analyst (Heroes).

If you want something different there is always the pvp zones too.  You can pvp in different ways (1) find another player and beat the tar outta them (2) do the in-zone specific mission (3) do the in-zone pvp missions for zone wide buff.

• themonkthemonk Member Posts: 15

Like any game, it really depends on your play style and whether the game satisfies your "needs." I’ve gone back to COX at least a couple of times now after taking breaks and I’m still enjoying it a lot.  However, I’m a so-call casual player so I’m only playing about an hour each session.  COX is ideal for that style of play due to the missions.  If you play longer than that, I can definitely see how it would get boring real fast just running from one mission to another, regardless of whether its related to a story arc or not.  Also, for a lot of players, whatever “story” that’s attached to a mission is just “fluff” that you don’t read anyway.

The bottom line is this: some games don’t fit well with certain play styles.  Luckily, there’re enough games out there that hopefully you can find one that does.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

I think i was in a hurry when I typed my original reply. shame on me. there are some different missions of course. I mean- there are task forces. I have not seen them all myself but I've seen a few. The real jewel here I think were the storylines thats my thing I just like quest type of grind. I like reading and getting immersed thats why I used to buy comics.

so anyway sry for the minor mislead. yeah, the missions dont vary a whole lot but there are task forces, mayhems, and many of the other sutff others tried to say. didnt mean to post misinformation