Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUDE!!!!! This game totally rips off WoW!!!omg

retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
Dear MMORPG trolls,

I would like to take a moment and show you a screen shot from a MMORPG

This is a game called Meridian 59.  The game is supposedly the "first" 3D-MMORPG.  This game is still around.

When I see people who compare Vanguard to WoW or any game to any other game via the INTERFACE I tend to get a little agitated.

Have you ever played DOOM?  Have you ever played Half-Life?  What about Unreal?  When I first opened up Unreal Tournament I was satisfied because I could easily adapt to the INTERFACE because it was so similar to other FPS games.

MMOs are all going to have an interface similar to other MMOs so that the learning curve is different.  If a game fails to have that interface, people will complain.  People will call the interface confusing.  EQ had it right, WoW tweaked it and did it better.  People will copy and improve/mold the basic interface to met their MMOs needs. 

Also, this is s character creation screen:

All games that let you create a distinct character are going to have similar creation tools.

If I hear one more flame that describes an MMO "copying" WoW....

Also, if anyone talks about Warhammer being a rip-off of WoW, I'd like to point out the age of Warhammer vs. the age of Warcraft.  If anyone knows their history, Warhammer was directly ripped off in many instances by Warcraft. 

Comments

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    In short, all MMOs in the future are going to have a similar interface. 

I have a feeling that Vanguard is not as "easy" as WoW.  Vanguard seems group oriented, and therefore leveling will require people to be devoted to learning their class as a piece of a whole rather than an individual.  I fully support this idea, and I hope that the game gets the updates it needs. 

The only complaint a find totally valid is the fact that SoE seems to be pushing the game for a premature release.  Sadly, I think that could kill many subscribers who have to pay for rough gaming.  If the game turns out to be very similar to a well done EQ sequel, I will play it.  If it isn't, Warhammer is on its way.
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    after reading your post a few times, I' think Im beginning to understand what you're trying to say.

If you say all MMOs are similiar then yes in some aspects they are

1.  They're all Massive Multiplayer games

2.  The escape key will normally bring up additional options

3.  MMOs typically incorporate a hotkey.

That's common sense. I think many people realize this.

I look at it this way.

Hamburger joints all have things in common. 

1.  They all have bathrooms.

2.  They all have counters in which you go up to to order your food.

3.  Most of them have drivethroughs

4.  All of them sell hamburgers

5.  Most of them use either paper or cardboard to house their sandwhiches.

In terms of talking about Hamburger joints, I am describing Vanguard similiar to this:

1. There's a McDonald's

2.  There's a BurgerKing

3.  There's a Wendy's

Now....imagine driving down the highway and passing a

1. McDonnell's with two golden arches for a sign that reads millions and millions served.

When entering the establishment you go to their counter (in which ALL hamburger joints have) and pay at their register (in which all hamburger joints have). But you order the following:

1.  A Big Jack with no special sauce

2.  a nine piece Chicken McNuglet with honey sause

3.  And you get a complimentary McRib sandwhich with the purchase of two Chicken McGrills.

Sorry I had to resort to such silly comparisons but alas...I had to. 

Finally

It wasn't the virtual rip off clone of many WoW designs that made me not like it.  Not at all.  Anyone can look past that.

1.  I was sick and tired of having hardly any quests past 30. 

2.  I was sick and tired of feeling like I needed a master degree in Quantum computer programming to raise my FPS rates ingame

3.  I was tired of looking at the graphics of my toon. 

a.  Animation was horrible. 

b.  Spell animation was horrible. 

c.  Character customization was horrible. 

d.  Map interface was horrible (if you played the game you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about)

4.  Tired of the slow motion fight sequences and general all around slow motion feeling of the game.

Like I mention in an earlier thread.  Background graphics is beautiful.  However....every other graphics in game is stuck in 1999 mode.  I'm sorry, but if Im going to blow fifty bucks on a game I want a tight quest system, a tight lore system (only the goblin race has a REALLY good lore quest), and a nice graphics bundle....yeah...Im shallow....i like good graphics.

However...this is my opinion.  Everyone is entitled to their own.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    Originally posted by Enigma

after reading your post a few times, I' think Im beginning to understand what you're trying to say.

If you say all MMOs are simi.....
    I realize now how poorly executed my OP was.  I reread it and realized that when I was linking the picture I was thinking about some of the material I neglected to post.

I think your post had many complaints I feel are valid.  I also think a lot of people are stuck on features of that game that aren't stolen from anywhere in particular.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I am not sure why anyone would compare Vanguard to WoW anyway. The only thing I see where the two resemble each other is the interface.

WoW had solo gameplay till 60, Vanguard solo is dead In the water around 10 -12 depending on the class The two playstyles are pretty much diametricaly opposed.

WoW polished the heck out of their content limited as it was while it is pretty obvious Vanguard still is very very rough

WoW made things easy for the players with low death penalty, Vanguards are  more "painful" by far

WoW would play on virtually any machine or video card produced in the 4 years before it's release, vanguard needs a state of the art card and machine to get decent service

I could go on and on but Vanguard is far from being a WoW clone, it is more like EQ1 with demanding graphics

I miss DAoC

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I am not sure why anyone would compare Vanguard to WoW anyway. The only thing I see where the two resemble each other is the interface.
    WoW had solo gameplay till 60, Vanguard solo is dead In the water around 10 -12 depending on the class The two playstyles are pretty much diametricaly opposed.
    WoW polished the heck out of their content limited as it was while it is pretty obvious Vanguard still is very very rough
    WoW made things easy for the players with low death penalty, Vanguards are  more "painful" by far
    WoW would play on virtually any machine or video card produced in the 4 years before it's release, vanguard needs a state of the art card and machine to get decent service
    I could go on and on but Vanguard is far from being a WoW clone, it is more like EQ1 with demanding graphics
    I see what you did there jack lol nice try
  • End_of_a_eraEnd_of_a_era Member Posts: 527
    HL2 and Doom share nothing in common but the same views tbh.

imageimage

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I agree with the OP and it is not just a concern of interface and character creation tool, but also classes and professions such as Mages, Rangers, Warriors and many others have been around for quite sometime. These are extremely popular choice in a fantasy rpg setting. As for the character creation, of course similarities will exist, there isn't really any other way around creating a customized character. Btw, that 2nd screenshot is old lol. Here is a new one.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• PoldanoPoldano Member Posts: 244

Thank you, sir!

All cars have steering wheels, gas pedals, brake pedals, and gearshift levers for a reason. While it's true that you can't hurt yourself or others in a game like you can in a car, the folks who make games eventually figure out that they can hurt themselves if they don't use controls similar to those that worked well for other games. It's sometimes called "adopting best practices".

We don't buy these things because the controls are different. We buy these things because some of the things the controls let us do are different. Familiar controls deliver us the payload faster and easier.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by Poldano

Thank you, sir!
    All cars have steering wheels, gas pedals, brake pedals, and gearshift levers for a reason.

Yes

Now....imagine you just bought a luxury car called a Oexus.  Looks damn close to a hybrid of a Lexus and an Oldsmobile but the engine is a POS and the leather is fake.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• RedluciferRedlucifer Member Posts: 112
    you are all fools this game was the benchmark for all pvp games look and the year the original meridian 59 was made and trust me it was before anything like WoW ......it was in fact one of the first games produced by 3DO that set the ways for what we are all addicts of...MMORPG and PVP
  • BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

You are all clowns. Except for the one guy above me :b

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• g33manjrg33manjr Member Posts: 18

You idiots this game was made way before WoW

and b.t.w. WoW SUCKS !!!

• moptopRPGmoptopRPG Member Posts: 49

Just to tell you a little peice of info warcraft 1(january 2004) came out before the first warhammer(november 2005).  So technically warhammer has always ripped warcraft

~*(MMOs)*~
    ATD3, ACEO, AoC, AO, AC, CO, COH, COV, DAC, DR, DDO, EO, EVE, EQ, EQ2, Flyff, GW, HG:L, HO, KO, L2, LotRO, MS, MUo, PotBS, PS, RagO, RF, ROSEo, Ryzom, SB, SWG, TLA, TMO, V:SoH, WO:AoR, WOW

• ursinursin Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by moptopRPG

Just to tell you a little peice of info warcraft 1(january 2004) came out before the first warhammer(november 2005).  So technically warhammer has always ripped warcraft
    That's like saying LotR (the books) ripped off WoW...... /boggle.

"We aren't going to ... Period. End of statement."

ya. ok. whatever.

but what do i know, i'm only a vanbois i'm told.

• bluebalzzbluebalzz Member Posts: 24

U sir are a Idiot.

warcraft is New yes New now WarHammer 40k has been a MM-RPG  since 1987. where as war craft strategy game or WOW is relitivy new as in late 90's for warcraft and 2k something for WOW.

Now the MMO of today are online  table top rpg so if u compare any of them they are rip off's to D&D table top RPG

before u post look at the histry of the game not just the platform.

repeat after me " GOOGLE is my freind, Before I post on some thing i am clueless i will google it to have a back bone to my argument, enstead of looking like a compleate CupCake"

• PwndStarPwndStar Member Posts: 111

Spot on Retro.

----------
    currentlyplaying:
    age of conan

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

you are the biggest moronic idiot i have seen try and claim warhammer is a clone of wow...

news flash smarty pants

Games-Workshop started production back in the 70s distrubuting board games like risk and such to the english countryside the then created a game (YES CREATED!) called Warhammer. that was back in the early 80s.. they then created another game (ZOMG not another you cry) called Warhammer40000 which is based off 2 other games they made called gorkamorka and necromonda.

the same time they had all that made craptasticly crappy mc blizzard came to them and say "we would like to port warhammer to PC" G-W says thanks but no thanks.

blizzard then takes that and goes HEHEHE we be sneaky we be smart OH look we rename it WarCraft and drop 90% of the races and change a few things while making it really cartoony and ohh look we have our own game.....

now GW started a warhammer onine game back in 02/03 but canned it do to costs. WoW didnt start until about 04/05 from what i can tell.

the new warhammer online is newer and doesnt follow the first one. BUT it in no way is a clone of WoW.

WoW ripped off all of its game contect from Warhammer. so take your WoW fanboy stuff and cram it some where else.

WAR. may or may not play similer to WoW but that is because all games must follow a simlier pattern. FPS must be first person or 3rd. it must have some form of weapon and semi mission based.

RTS/TBS must have eagle eye view and allow some form of resoruce gathering.

MMO must be fully multiplayer, have quests, pvp, pve. fancy content.. little lag.

the OP is spot on that there is no such thing as a clone. UNLESS its like pirate king online vs tales of pirates. both ARE EXACTLY THE SAME! with name change.... that is true clones at its finest.

Warhammer is not made like WoW. the PVP does not apper to be locked and stupid. as well until War is atleast public betaed its pointless claiming it sucks, beats X game. or is a clone BECAUSE! (this is very important now) Warhammer is not finished. stuff can and does get changed between concept <-> gold status.

i have played warcraft. and some wow i hate them compared to the many other mmos i have tried and the many other RTS i have played. they have their merits but i dislike them for many reasons.

i play the Warhammer tabletop as well as the RTS games brought out by SSI and THQ. i like them and hate them for the many reasons as well. until War is open to play i cant like or hate it. i want to play it because its an offcial port from the TT. but who knows if i will truely enjoy it as ports never grasp the real game its taken from.

i suggest WoWtards to research warhammer vs WoW better next time.. least you get a less friendlier person shooting down your argument.

• blackdogblackdog Member UncommonPosts: 33

Every industry ends up following certain parameters for the most part.  It happens, why, people like things that are familiar and a steep learning curve sucks.  So why not make things similar in appearance and application.   If it speeds understanding and enjoyment all the better.

for a quick example keyboards,  why are most keyboards the old QWERTY style, certainly not because ASDFGHJKL are the most used letters, it is a fallback on the old manual typewriters, with the progression to keyboards, the key map did not change to make it easy to go from one technology to the next.   Trust me there are better modern layouts available but who really wants to relearn how to type.,

the same can be said for cars, DVD players, console controllers, telephones,  the list goes on, why do they look like previous incarnations, familiarity and nice easy learning curves to be able to use them.

Saying Warhammer is a copy of Warcraft is pretty much like saying JRR Tolkien  copied from Peter Jackson.

there is more to Warhammer than the current MMO,  Games Workshop has been creating content for over 25 years now. D&D is over 30 years old.   All modern High Fantasy  enjoys the roots good ol' JRR established.   Using previous ideas to progress is universal, live with it.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by retrospectic
    In short, all MMOs in the future are going to have a similar interface. 
    I have a feeling that Vanguard is not as "easy" as WoW.  Vanguard seems group oriented, and therefore leveling will require people to be devoted to learning their class as a piece of a whole rather than an individual.  I fully support this idea, and I hope that the game gets the updates it needs. 
    The only complaint a find totally valid is the fact that SoE seems to be pushing the game for a premature release.  Sadly, I think that could kill many subscribers who have to pay for rough gaming.  If the game turns out to be very similar to a well done EQ sequel, I will play it.  If it isn't, Warhammer is on its way.

Nah, vanguard is just as easy to learn as Wow, there's not much real difference, just some different skills..some of them pretty nifty. The only real difference is some abilities require triggers, but the game is pretty good at letting you know when they go off.

The only difference is in vanguard its harder to solo.

D.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by blackdog
    Every industry ends up following certain parameters for the most part.  It happens, why, people like things that are familiar and a steep learning curve sucks.  So why not make things similar in appearance and application.   If it speeds understanding and enjoyment all the better.
    for a quick example keyboards,  why are most keyboards the old QWERTY style, certainly not because ASDFGHJKL are the most used letters, it is a fallback on the old manual typewriters, with the progression to keyboards, the key map did not change to make it easy to go from one technology to the next.   Trust me there are better modern layouts available but who really wants to relearn how to type.,
    the same can be said for cars, DVD players, console controllers, telephones,  the list goes on, why do they look like previous incarnations, familiarity and nice easy learning curves to be able to use them.
    Saying Warhammer is a copy of Warcraft is pretty much like saying JRR Tolkien  copied from Peter Jackson.
    there is more to Warhammer than the current MMO,  Games Workshop has been creating content for over 25 years now. D&D is over 30 years old.   All modern High Fantasy  enjoys the roots good ol' JRR established.   Using previous ideas to progress is universal, live with it.

/Agree

D.

• gurbygurby Member UncommonPosts: 12

Yes, but kids today barely get the Idea of Pen and Paper games...  or have the Patients to Paint up Minitures of they're Armies.

If You Stand Against An ARMY,
    Stand FAST And STRONG!
    If Stand Against A Single MAN,
    Stand HARD And LONG!
    If Stand Against YOURSELF,
    What Is RIGHT Or WRONG!

• FreezyaFreezya Member Posts: 1

I agree with you, Oh and the first MMORPG out Ever was Phantasy star for the dreamcast.  So get your facts straight before you go out and post stuff about games.

• rcook16rcook16 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by Freezya

I agree with you, Oh and the first MMORPG out Ever was Phantasy star for the dreamcast.  So get your facts straight before you go out and post stuff about games.

you may be refering to a different post, but did you just say PSO was the first mmo? When did that game come out? 2000? 1999? Meridian 59 has been out since 1996 and although it did not quite plow the way for future mmos like UO did it was much better in many different areas than UO was

• SapfireSapfire Member Posts: 4

Hate to burst bubbles but mmo's go back to the early 80's mostly as text based but there were a few that were graphic as well from Sierra Online yserbius (sp?) was one..

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

Lmao, i dont think we will see that guy posting here again....

This discussion has been closed.