Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dumb Questions

Hi! I recently downloaded the trial for Dark Age of Camelot and, despite the game being quite old, have been enjoying it considerably. I do have a number of questions, though, which I hope some of you can answer. These are probably stupid questions, so please bear with me!

How important are quests? Should I be trying to do all of the ones in a particular region? I've noticed that some quests seem to lock one out when one gains too high of a level; does this mean, then, that I should avoid blasting everything I run across and slow down my leveling? I tend to level extremely quickly and outpace many of my quests. Is this okay, or will avoiding the quests prevent me from acquiring suitable armour and other items to remain competitive?

In World of Warcraft, a number of quests are almost imperative; in other words, they offer such nice rewards that there is little reason not to do them at a particular level. So far in Dark Age of Camelot, however, I have been finding better items off of monsters. Does this change later in the game? Do I not need to worry too much about items until reaching level 50?

On much the same topic, what is the best way to level? Should I be questing, killing monsters randomly, or whatever I feel like at any particular moment?

Lastly, how are the 'best' items in the end-game acquired --- through quests, raids (a-la World of Warcraft), crafting, or something else? Are these items simple enough to acquire solo, or is grouping with a large number of people necessary?

Thank you very much in advance for your responses!

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    These do not seem dumb questions to me.  They seem like you have played a lot of single player rpg and console games by theses questions. 

Quests in DAOC have 3 types of rewards (or combination thereof): money, xp, and items.

There are 3 basic quest types: general quests, epic quests, and champion level quests.  Almost all of the quests you are running into are general quests and it does not matter if you do any of them or all of them.  Epic quests I think start around level 5 or 10.  They are given by your class trainer in the capital city.  You will get item rewards for these.  At the high end level (these run till like 50) you get some pretty good gear.  Champion quests start at level 30.  You need the Darkness Rising expansion to have these.  These are a great story driven quest about a rebellion in your realm.  You get good money, good drops from mobs, and awsome XP for doing them.  I think you get these in the King's thrown room - not positive since I have not done them in awhile. 

In the original zones, you have a mixture of quests new and old.  The old ones suck.  This is probably why the items you are getting are worse than drops from mobs.  The newer ones are a lot better.  Unfortunatly there is no way to tell them apart.  You may have noticed that some of the low level quests have a box that is pulled up letting you see reward.  They are upgrading all of those quests to that form and that will help things out.  It will just take a few months.

In SI, the quests are better.  You get more money and more XP.  There are also some better items given with quests starting mid level range.

Catacombs: This is not part of the trial (but if Mythic stick with their policy should be free soon).  These are quick and the best XP quests in the game. 

DR/LotM: mostly just champion quests and you mostly do them for champion levels (although you can earn the levels in another way). 

As for the best items, it depends on your server.  If you are on the regular servers then the "best" items are artifacts.  Most of these you do not need to "raid" for (although for Master Levels you do need to raid).  To get these you need to do an encounter - usually solo/group;  you then need to find scrolls to activate them.  You then need to level up the items.  At certain levels (max 10) you get different abilities.

The next best/sometimes equal choice are Champion weapons (done by champion level quests or getting to CL5). 

If you are on the "classic" servers then most of the best items are player crafted.  There are a few better items, but not too much better, that you get by doing Darkspire (an 8 man instance in Catacombs). 

Even on the regular servers you will end up with player crafted items. 

Your non weapon/armor slots are filled with quest items, artifacts, and randomly drop items. 

At lower levels your best option is DF or aurulite gear.  Aurulite is only available with Cats, but DF you can get by getting seals in Darkness Falls when your realm has the dungeon. 

As for leveling, right now the fastest way is to kill mobs in SI zones because all XP earned in these zones is double.  Outside of that then the next best option is doing quests in Catacombs.  I would not say there is much of a different between leveling with killing or quests, although starting around level 45 quests certainly are the fastest unless you are being powerlevled.  You will probably need to do a mixture of both as a means for the fastest leveling.  I typically would get a lot of Cats quests and do those that I am at the upper level for and then kill to make the rest of the level.  Right now I am leveling by killing mobs in SI and currently taking a break and earning realm points in the battlegrounds. 

Another tip for quick leveling before level 20, go to a named guard and type "/s task"  Often he will give you a kill task.  This is simpyl go find one mob, kill it, and then return to him.  You get great XP for those and are often overlooked now.
  • Wow! Thank you very much for the thorough and extremely helpful response. From the sound of things, acquiring powerful items and whatnot at the highest levels is less of a hassle in Dark Age of Camelot than in some other MMORPGs. I'm glad that I am not missing any important quests by running around killing everything that so much as looks like it plans to move. I do hope that my Wizard will not end up too terrible with almost all of her points in fire spells, though!

Thank you once again!

Originally posted by Empress_Jess

Wow! Thank you very much for the thorough and extremely helpful response. From the sound of things, acquiring powerful items and whatnot at the highest levels is less of a hassle in Dark Age of Camelot than in some other MMORPGs. I'm glad that I am not missing any important quests by running around killing everything that so much as looks like it plans to move. I do hope that my Wizard will not end up too terrible with almost all of her points in fire spells, though!
    Thank you once again!
    Getting items is certainly pretty easy in DAOC.  It has to be because items affect RvR.  In a sense it is like 2 games in one - PvE and RvR.  You get items from one and realm points from another. 

As a wizzard you will want to put all of your training into 1 spec line.  Resistence is based on the level of the spell.  Casters only get 1 spec pt per level so that is just enough to keep one line at your level.  Starting at level 40, you earn half levels, 40,5, 41.5, etc.  Use these points to train in a secondary line. 

You can also respec.  You get a free single line respec at 20 and 40.  You can find drops that will allow you to respec.  You can also purchase single line respecs.  So do not worry about your gimping yourself because you can always fix it. 

You might also want to join a guild if you can find a good one.  They can often help out with getting you hand me down equipment.  Not so important for leveling, but if you head out to the BG then you will want some better gear.  For the record, your bolt has the longest range in the game outside of arrows or nearsight.  So always stand as far back as possible in RvR. 

If you want to turn away from the darkside and join the Hibernian rebels on a regular server I can probably hook you up. 
  • Thank you for the great information!

Today I purchased the 5th Anniversary set of Dark Age of Camelot and started over. Currently I am playing a new Avalonian Wizard, Elysharia, on the Guinevere roleplaying server. The server is decently populated (nowhere close to the Classic servers though, apparently), but finding a group is somewhat tricky.

Is the 'Find' option (near the 'Set LFG' options and whatnot) not working? Whenever I click on it, a blank window which I suppose should list players appears, but nobody is listed on it. I've checked several times throughout the day, and even at the most populated moments today I saw nothing listed in that window. I asked some players in the starting guild what 'Find' was all about, and none of them knew! Neither the in-game help or the manual mentions much about it, either. Am I missing something totally obvious?

Are there any other ways to find a group? I'm sure that, since the roleplaying servers are set on 'Normal' rules, many veteran players simply automatically level to 20 and go from there. However, I'm a bit concerned that if I do not figure out how to best find others at this point, then when I really need them later I'll have no clue what to do. *laughs* I do greatly prefer grouping over solo play in general.

I believe you need to set the LFG before you click find.  I am not positive on thatt though, but you should try that. 

Even though you may do that there is not a great chance anyone is going to be listed.  The level commnand is wronly blammed for the lack of low levels and the lack of groups.  But that is another story.  Most people group with the friends, guild, then alliance.  There are not too many random groups anymore.  I mean I do not bother looking for it because if I cannot get a group I really do not need to have one.  Here is what I suggest:

1.  Try to find a new guild ASAP and leave the starter guild.  This will make it much easier to get groups.

2.  type /who 5 10 (this will do a search for people levels 5-10.  Pick whatever level range is around you).  Then send a tell to them asking if they want to group.  I have gotten tells many times from this.  Also, there will be some people leveling up Maulers since that is the new class so you can search for /who mauler 5 10 as well. 

3.  Go to the capital city and see if anyone there is looking for a group.  Sometimes people spam there.

You will start to make connections to other players around level 20.  This is not because of the level command but because you will start going out to the BG.  You will get into groups and start to find people you like and do not like.

Unfortunatly if you want the easist chance of getting a group then you need to go Classic.  I mean we have had a few new people join our guild (regular server) over the past few months and none of them have had complaints.  A few say they had no problems.  I found this a shock, but that is just me.

Edit: So i just checked how the find works.  It listed only one person on at level 50, but then again I check on a level 50.  On the set LFG option I can set my level range I am willing to group with.  It might be that people are LFG, but are not looking for people at your level.  It might also be that no one is LFG. 

If you decide to give Hib a chance create a character on the Devon cluster and I can hook you up with a guild, but that is about all I can offer for you at this point.   Other than that, here is something you can do.  /who wizard 50.  That will dispaly the wizards.  Ask one of them a question about your class.  Explain that you are new.  See if that gets you some help or an invitation to a guild.  If I think of something else I will let you know. 
  • I tried flagging myself as 'LFG' and then checking the Find list, but still saw nothing on there. Thus, I figure that the Find list simply dislikes me. Well, the feeling is mutual!

Hmm, I did not even consider trying the /who command. Likely, that will turn up nice results! It's a pity that I cannot list myself as 'looking for a guild' while in the starter guild; I suppose I should stay in there until I run across some poor sod who makes the silly decision to recruit a clueless new wizard!

So far, the game has been quite a lot of fun. My only problem at this point is that due to having all of the expansions installed, it's slightly difficult to figure out where I 'should' be; although I guess that really doesn't matter until I must go to specific areas for epic quests and whatnot. Hopefully the class trainers and other NPCs will provide some sort of directions to what exactly I must do when I reach those higher levels. I'm rather helpless, as you can probably tell. But I'll figure it out through classic trial and error!

Thank you for all of your helpful replies! If even half of the game's community is as friendly as you have been, then I will certainly have a great time.

Edit: Perhaps I will try playing a Hibernian, even though the Englishwoman in me screams in horror at the thought of Ireland and leprechauns.

We kill the Leps (which are very high level btw).  We do use lurikeens as catapult ammo ;) 

If you find the starter guild helpful then stick with it.  If you have not gotten any use for it then quit and flag yourself as looking for a guild. 

There is no place you really should be.  Do not go to the ToA areas until level 40 unless you want to die quickly.  SI and Cats are laid out nicely.  You start in the first zone and basically just follow it down the road to the next area.  As you go along you run into higher level mobs. 

I do not know Alb that well to tell you were specially is the best place to go.  I honestly found the realm very confusing to get around.  The same with Mid.  I was never lost in Hib.  Also, if I recall your capital actually has different zones.  The Capital of Hib is just one zone and it is laid out in a circle so no chance of getting lost. 

One last thing you can try, although it might work better at very low levels 1-10, is to teleport to another server and see if there are any people starting characters there.  That is just a thought. 

As for being nice, I just hang out at these forums because they are the only ones not filled by trolls and whiners.  I figure this being the case and the free trial being advertised I would help some people out and try to get some new people into this game.  I went through a period of where I tried all of these other games and they did not offer me anything more than I got with DAOC.  Most offered less.  So I saw no reason to start over another game when I was already here.  So I just try to get more people to play.  Even if your an Alb I look at it as a chance to kill someone new. 
  • jeeperzjeeperz Member Posts: 71

I have to agree that Hibernia has the easiest geography.   So perhaps the Englishwoman in you can give Hibernia a try till you get a better feel of the game...   I started on Hiberia Devon cluster as well, mostly becasue I knew rl people there- but I think if I had done the trial and started in Albion I would not have lasted very long.

The Capitol cities are a good place to find guilds.  Also consider looking on the  camelotherald.com  There is a currently a post called Guild News and some that are recruiting have posted there.  You might go to the bottom of the page for Game News Archives  and check the previous week post too.

I totally forgot about that, but then again I am not looking for a guild and I never read the guild news.  Here is the link, just click any of them that say Guild News

http://www.camelotherald.com/community/
  • Thanks for the advice, guys. In the last couple of days, I've made quite a nice home for myself on the side of Albion, and have met some truly fun fellow players.

I'm still a bit confused about the importance of items in Dark Age of Camelot, though. I have drastically outleveled almost all of my gear (except for the pieces I receive from doing the 'Epic' quests); most of it is 'grey' and I'm still using, hilariously, a 5th-level ring at level 23. I asked around about this, and I have been told that items do not matter at all until one reaches level 50, and then it's a simple matter to attain most of them. Is this correct? If not, where should I go hunting for equipment? Should I purchase anything from merchants? The merchants strike me as a bit useless because none of their sold goods come with enchantments. Am I missing something here---is the armour rating, even for a wizard, more important than enchantments?

So far, RvR has been great fun. Unfortunately, it seems to have a tough learning curve in the Battlegrounds, at least for me! Perhaps it is to be expected when a newcomer goes up against those who have been playing for years, or more likely I'm simply terrible, but I tend to live about five seconds before some stealthed guy stabs me to death in one or two hits. *laughs* Likely, this will get easier as I gain more experience with the game and acquire better armour and so on. I hope so, anyway!

Most items are pretty easy to get at level 50.

They do matter at lower levels depending on your class and if you go out to the BG.  If you are a tank then you need good armor to take hits.  This is where your Armor Factor matters.  If you are a caster then this does not matter because if you are getting hit then you are going to die anyway.   What does matter for you are the bonus you get.  Resists are very important at any level of RvR.  They cut down on stun, mez, and damage a lot. 

If you increase your Dex it decreases your casting time.  If you increase your intellegence then it raises your power pool.  Both of these are important in PvE and RvR because you can cast more spells quicker.  You staf should have a focus rating.  Any spell used that are above the focus level will cost you more power.  Any less will cost you less power.  There are also items that give you +% to power.  So you could have two rbacers that will give you 10% more power.

So if you want to play in the BG, or just have a much easier time at PvE then you need better equipment.  It does not need to be perfect, but certain you need better equipment.  The level does not matter as much as the bonuses, but generally the higher the item level the more bonus you get. 

The best place to get armor and weapons is from your guild.  If you do not have one then your next best choice is aurulite gear.  If you go to instances in the catacombs areas (not the taskdungeons) you will earn aurulite.  You then go to the underground city in the cats areas and there are special merchants to use the aurulite with for items.  You can also go to Darkness Falls and kill for seals (these seem to drop quicker) and use them to exchange for items.  While not the best, these are the easiest to get with generally good bonuses.  Something is always better than nothing.

Merchants that sell items without enchantments are worthless.  However, I have noticed that in the capitals there are merchants selling caster staves with bonuses.  Not being an Alb, I have no idea where yours is. 

As for assassins, you will not need to worry when you are level 50.  Master of Stealth given to archers prevents almost all assassins from going into crowded areas because they will be seen and instantly killed (it makes playing an assassin after level 45 worthless).  As for now, here is how you stay alive.  Do not go anywhere alone.  Try to have at least one other person around you at all times.  Move around at all times.  Even if you are standing still, try turning.  The styles used by assassins are positional.  If you move they will not be able to get them off.  When moving, do not follow a straight path.  Move around and sometimes do circles.  Practice your quickcast and root.  This way if you get hit you can root the person and then back up and nuke them to death.  This is very easy if you have gotten your casttime down by increasing your dex. 

I think this answers your questions. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

As for assassins, you will not need to worry when you are level 50.  Master of Stealth given to archers prevents almost all assassins from going into crowded areas because they will be seen and instantly killed (it makes playing an assassin after level 45 worthless). 

Master of Stealth is given to Archers at 50? My Ranger is currently level 39 and I had to spend my first  10 realm points for MOS 3.... and will need to spend 10 more to get MOS 4.  

Not sure how it is at level 50...but MOS 3 isn't all powerful..sure, i can see most stealthers coming at me..but can't aways get away  from them if I try to...(usually better just to attack and count on my group to help kill them with me)

I think server lag is the root cause..by time i see them..they are really much closer than my computer is displaying.... gonna have to get MOS 4 so I can keep them at arms length more.

Back on topic... yes, as mentioned, gear is important for leveling, but as you have already noticed, not nearly as much for casters as opposed to tanks and other melee. I basically go the aurulite route...using it to level up from 1-49...then I pick up Darkspire or Labyrinthg gear for the final BG.

If you join a good guild you can probably get some aurulite for a decent price from them... on Gareth's cluster its selling for like 1 auru for 1 gold...

BTW... you do know about "housing merchants" right?  If not, go to a teleporter.....and select housing... and select "entrance" (or you can run in from entrances just outside each of capitol cities...on Alb I believe its to the south of Camelot in the zone with the Darkness falls entrance. (go out the east gate and run south along the river)   You can use the merchants to look up the better gear and aurulite that other players have to sell. 

And a nice trick to get to those houses to buy the gear (if you dont want to pay a 20% premium at the merchant locator) is to buy a coin from the vendor there to the appropriate housing zone (don't forget to buy a return token)...then run to the nearest house (look for a npc bard to give you some speed first) and give the merchant coin to any players merchant.  You'll be instantly teleported to the right housing zone.  Then do a  /houseface xxxx where xxxx=house number you are looking for.....run in the that direction until you get there.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Archers do not get MoS free at level 50.  But by the time archers are level 50 they will all have MoS 3-5.

As for your problems dying, it is either gear/spec issue.  Train either all bow or melee spec.  Do not go hybrid.  I woudl go bow.  As soon as you see the target they shoot them.  You pop them out of stealth and you just keep nailing them.  Once they get on then you melee but the assassin should be less than 50% health at MoS3/4 range.  MoS 5 you wil be able to kill the target with no problem at all.  It is only in the BG that archers are killed by assassins in significant numbers.  The only time I can get to archers is either in the Lab or doing something unlikely like the archer being up against a wall in a keep siege and I drop down and PA them.  That way there was never a chance for him to see me.  If I am seen I am gone.  Rangers make better assassins than NS anymore. 

In NF, even if you can't kill the assassin at a distance (no idea why you wouldn't) then you will be in groups with /assist or simple when the assassin in poped from stealth someone will kill him. 
  • jeeperzjeeperz Member Posts: 71

So far, RvR has been great fun. Unfortunately, it seems to have a tough learning curve in the Battlegrounds, at least for me! Perhaps it is to be expected when a newcomer goes up against those who have been playing for years, or more likely I'm simply terrible, but I tend to live about five seconds before some stealthed guy stabs me to death in one or two hits. *laughs* Likely, this will get easier as I gain more experience with the game and acquire better armour and so on. I hope so, anyway!

Don't feel too bad about the Batlegrounds - there are some players that level for a battleground and only play that Character there.  So some f the odds are against you when you get there.   There are even entire Thidranki guilds - lol.  Still worth persisting and getting better yourself.  I have a feeling you'll master it in no time!

• Thank you for the great replies, everyone!

I decided to try out the other two factions, Midgard and Hibernia. Amusingly, as several of you suggested, Hibernia seems to be the place for me; not because of easier geography (personally, I prefer my native Britain!) but simply because of the available classes. I'm playing an elf eldritch---named Saralessa---on Gareth, the Classic realm, and am enjoying her much more than the Albion wizardess. I've also been fortunate to meet many helpful players there, too, who have assisted me with various things and pointed me in the right direction for better armour and whatnot.

Acquiring aurulite armour is a bit strange to me. By the time that I gain hundreds of aurulite (I believe that I require about 350+ for just the armour for the level 20 set), I tend to have already leveled so quickly in the dungeons that it's no longer as useful as it would have been! So, I was told to purchase aurulite from the Market Explorer; but that's easier said than done when I have about thirty gold to my name and 1000 pieces of aurulite are selling for 750 gold.  Then, I began to wonder---before the Catacombs expansion, and therefore before aurulite and so forth, how did anyone (barring the existence of Darkness Falls, which is only open sometimes) acquire armour and equipment suitable for their levels? Did they just get lucky and happen to find appropriate drops? Or did they level all of the way to 50 with mostly sub-par gear, and then equip themselves handily at level 50?

I suppose equipment will not matter too much for me yet, especially on my first character, with whom I'll mostly be leveling to 50 to get a feel for the game, then try to equip her and delve into RvR. Hopefully that plan will work!

I really wish I had tried this game sooner. It's so much better than I had imagined it would be when downloading the trial. It really has been a pleasant surprise!

• trillahtrillah Member CommonPosts: 158

Well for me getting armor before cats,it  was mostly crafted gear which is pretty affordable if you can find a friendly crafter and then with the leftover gold, you can find a spell crafter to enchant your set.

(for exemple +2 sword on helm, 10 dex, 10 con etc)

And  most people does that too nowdays for the battlegrounds and for the template at 50.They should launch the new patch january 10th so i suggest you wait there as price might go down for the craft (finally crafter get love :p )

oh and weapons too hehe, the thing you want to look most for a caster is focus, it HAS to be around your level so that you can cast more spells.

• Hmm, is crafted equipment enchanted? If not, can it be enchanted somehow? (Is that what Spellcrafters do? Oh, I feel so silly asking these questions.)
    Elds are great.  It was my first toon and first 50.  I went void so now I am gimped.  Perhaps you won't have as bad of an experience as I did with mine.  You have the loweest level bolt which increases restits.  It also means less damage.  There are RA's that help with resists, but the most "powerful" spell in the game (or that was what we were told at release) sucks against most people.  Bolts really need love.  Mana is a good choice for PvE.  A lot of people go light for RvR because of the nearsight. 

Focus needs to be higher than your level, not "around."  All crafted staves now have a built in 50 foucs.

Your armor problems are somewhat known.  How people used to get armor has using sub-par equipment (blue/green), crafted, or DF.  There are spots for you to hunt, the dungeons for example, where loot drops.  That is how people used to get their armor is by killing in there and using the drops.  If you kill oranges then the armor that is droped is usually yellow/orange.

Aurulite does not drop enough to really get good armor.  What has made that worst is that people level so quickly now that the drop rate is not anywhere close to what is needed for armor.  If I am going to want aurulite equipment I actually take a 50 out and farm it to give it to my alt.  Unfortunatly, unless you can get a guild to help, then that might be what you need to do.  I will tell you that once you hit 40 you should start getting plat.  Your free levels after that will give you 400-600 gold per level.  This will make it easier to buy aurulite and equipment. 

Just to give you my horror story with my first Eld, they had not added upper level (say post 25ish?) gear to the game to buy from NPC.  The drops almost never happened and if you got something it would be only one piece.  The NPC's now sell gear from 1-50, but not then.  I had to take up tailoring and skill it up (and earn money killing blues.) to get my tailoring high enough to be able to make my armor.  By the time I was in the 30's they finally added uppertier being able to purchase and then I was able to get into CM and find some good drops (not by today's standards though). 

F.U.N  is or used to be at least, a huge Hib guild on Gareth.  You might want to look them up.  I do not know of other guilds on there, but I am sure there are some good ones on there.  Here is FUN's link fun.thruhere.net
    Originally posted by Empress_Jess

Hmm, is crafted equipment enchanted? If not, can it be enchanted somehow? (Is that what Spellcrafters do? Oh, I feel so silly asking these questions.)
    Players can make armor and weapons.  Spellcrafters can (only with player made goods) add bonuses to them like resists, stats, and skills.  They can add 4 different bonuses to items.  Each item has an imbue value.  Each eqipment piece has only a set amount of imbue points that can be put into it.  Currently what determines how many points is the quality and level of the gear.  Spellcrafters can also "overcharge" an item by 5 points.  This gives a chance for the crafter and the item to explode.  After the upcoming patch things are going to change.  Imbue values are going to be set on a per level basis and quality will no longer matter.  There is a chance to explode based on the items quality but if an explosion happens the item is no longer destroyed. 

Alchemy is used to make dyes, potions, poisons, changes, and procs.  These things can also be used with player made items.  P{rior to ToA, crafted gear was the best.  Playing on the Classic server means that, for the most part, crafted gear is once again king. 

The problem with getting crafted gear, at your level, is that you will need to find someone to make low level gear and then someone to enchant it.  Currently this would be very time consuming.  After the next patch it will be far less (spellcrafting a set of gear now can take 2-4 hours given how good your luck is and how many pieces there are) because there is no longer a need for remakes.  You still might have a problem finding affordable gear and someone to spellcraft it.  I mean, making 10 gp is nothing for someone than can make a couple of plat in the same amount of time.  This is why a guild is important. 

Over the years, I now have every crafter outside of weapons (champion and artifacts mean no need for level 51 weapons) and fletcher (no need for a bow).  So I make my own gear and enchant it.
  • Thanks!

Uh oh, I am going for Void spells with my Eldritch. Just my luck! It's been great so far (actually better off than my fire wizardess); I overheard someone in the starter guild say that Void Eldritches would be improved soon through a patch, but I do not know how reliable that is. Hopefully they are not too terrible. I guess I can always respecialise later on if things become too messy!

Hmm, it's good to know that my armour and equipment troubles are not just because I'm doing something wrong. That's really the only part of the game I cannot quite understand. Other MMORPGs I have played have fairly simple means of equipping oneself: in World of Warcraft, one acquires drops from dungeons or raid instances appropriate to one's level, which is easy enough to figure out; City of Heroes/Villains has really no equipment to bother with except enhancements, which can be easily purchased from NPCs; and so on. Even Guild Wars (not technically an MMORPG by its creators' statements) had a fairly basic equipment system---better pieces could be purchased and/or crafted as one advanced naturally through the different regions.

The trouble with Dark Age of Camelot seems partially what you stated and what I've experienced with aurulite and other things; firstly, the leveling is so quick that most gear turns blue all too quickly before fine replacements can be found. Beginning as a brand-new player seems a bit tough, too, due to a lack of funds (which thus prevents one from easily purchasing items from other players). For example, I could go after aurulite, but then I'd be stuck in the dungeons all day and likely still end up outleveling my gear; or, I could have fun running amok in the 'classic' or Shrouded Isles regions, but not have much chance of acquiring gear naturally. Various quests, so I have heard, help considerably---I was told that there are quests for full sets of armour at levels 20, 30, 40, and so on, but I have no idea where these are found.

Besides relying on charity from other players, which I do not, as a rule, like to do (I always feel terribly guilty for accepting gifts from someone when I can offer nothing in return! Other players are always offering me things in various games.), my best bet seems to be doing every single quest I run across, most of which seem to give a decent bit of money and sometimes rather useful items (which are often on-par with my level, thankfully). I'm sure that I can tough it out with sub-par equipment until level 50, though, and then more easily acquire money and whatnot to purchase the 'best gear' available. If the leveling pace does not slow down too greatly, then this should not be too difficult to do!

Edit: Thank you for the information on crafting! I noticed in the patch notes that the new update will allow characters to have as many tradeskills as they desire, or something to that effect. Does this mean that I could practise both Tailoring and Spellcrafting and basically craft all of the armour I would need for myself?

• trillahtrillah Member CommonPosts: 158

Edit: Thank you for the information on crafting! I noticed in the patch notes that the new update will allow characters to have as many tradeskills as they desire, or something to that effect. Does this mean that I could practise both Tailoring and Spellcrafting and basically craft all of the armour I would need for myself?

yep

taking from herald:Characters can now have multiple tradeskills. To pick up a tradeskill a character does not have, speak to the tradeskill trainer. Please note that there is no limit to the amount of tradeskills a character can have. Your character can now choose and skill up in all of them.

As it is now, only certain classes can learn certain tradeskills.  You are also limited to only one main tradeskill.  So all of mine are on multiple toons (my Eld gave up tailoring for spellcrafting).  If you start tradeskills after the next patch then you can have all of them on one toon.  This means you can tailor armor, spellcraft it, and then all procs to it. 

I haven't heard anything about complete armor set quests, if I find anything out I will let you know.  Also, check the FAQ up top for a link to alahkazam website for quests.  I would look to ones around your level and check out the rewards and find the ones that give armor. 

If armor is your main concern, then doing dungeons will certainly help.  Also, I got some very nice equipment off of drops from doing the DR quests that start at 30 and you can do those solo.

Leveling slows down around 35.  At 45 it seems to gain painfully slow (although not nearly as bad as before.  i can actually tell I get XP from killing oranges at 45, it used to not be that way).  45-50 are the slowest levels.  I would do quests mostly for those to keep things going fast.  The underground forst is best and then if you need to there is the lost seeds quest in SI. 

Void is great for PvE.  In RvR the problem is with bolts in general.  I guess you did not play your fire wizzy high enough, but they are useless against melee classes.  If a target is in combat you will miss.  If the target has a sheild he will block it.  Then if you do hit, then he takes pathetic damage.  The abs of the armor and enchantment bonus make the spell pathetic.  What you will end up doing in RvR is using your baseline DD and GtAoE spell the latter being useful in siege. 

I am sure you know this, but if not, when killing with your Eld find a target far off.  Cast your specline bolt and as you are casting hit your baseline bolt (you can ready spells).  This way there is no interuption in your casting, then start spamming your DD over and over until the target is dead.  If for some reason you miss, then quickcast stun and then DD it to death (or run). 

I refuse to respec my Eld out of principle.  My instruction booklet said they were the most powerful casters (why I picked Hib) and that bolts were the most powerful spells.  So I am just going to wait until that becomes true. 

Void will be fine for the PvE game...but consider respecing Light for your endgame... plenty of time to do that..either at 20 or 40...  or hope for the fixes to Void Elds  (though some folks really like their Void Elds.... so they can't be all bad). And Im not sure it would be fair to tanks if Void Elds could kill them with bolts... and bolts hit just fine on other cloth casters or a leather wearer like my ranger... I think some people feel that every class should be able to beat every other class, but I prefer a more Rock, Paper, Scissors approach.

Well, you said you're uncomfortable with charity...but I have several sets of aurulite gear for casters (from level 20 - 40) sitting in storage doing a whole lot of nothing (from leveling up two light elds to 49.5).  Since this isn't WoW... I can actually just lend you the sets which you may use and return to me after you've completed your leveling.

As Julian mentioned...F.U.N is a large Hib guild on Gareth..and wouldn't you know.. I'm a member of it.  Lately I've been playing my Ranger in Molvik, (Kukgung) but you might also see me with my money maker, the Vamp, Klowne.  (or even find me crafting on my Bard, Possee).  F.U.N requires folks to be level 20 to apply, (not hard to accomplish) but you really might want to consider them.  They have a decent sized population of people from the U.K. (and other European countries) and I actually see more people online some mornings than I do during US EST primetimes (GMT-5) which is when I usually play.

Anyhow...while you're probably asleep when I'm playing, we probably cross paths on weekends as I'm up early.  So if your interested in learning more about F.U.N or borrowing those armor sets send me a tell in the game and we'll get you set up.

Oh yes, I remember the early days when I played DAOC...and we used to do all our leveling in the classic zones, (not even in SI) and the drops from most of the dungeons were armor pieces and weapons (of not so great quality) which we wore until we could find better.  Epic quests usallly got us our first 100% quality item while the rest were a collection of yellow, blues at the 89-92% level.    And yes, it made leveling up much harder...

Anyways, glad to see you came to see the light and join the "right" team.... hope you have fun on your new home.....

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I looked into the armor quests and there is only one for level 5 and then for 10.  There is nothing above that.

Level 20 to be in the guild?  That hurts the new players.  I would suggest that you have a probation period for those less than 20 that are new so as to better help these new players out.  Just my 2cp. 
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

I looked into the armor quests and there is only one for level 5 and then for 10.  There is nothing above that.

Level 20 to be in the guild?  That hurts the new players.  I would suggest that you have a probation period for those less than 20 that are new so as to better help these new players out.  Just my 2cp. 

In the old days of DAOC..the epic quests would give out armor items...but they revised them at some point since I left/returned and the new ones give gems and cloaks and stuff.... I guess they figure everyone has all the gear they need...

As to the level 20 to join the guild its not my rule... I recently joined F.U.N and they haven't asked my opinion yet on their guild rules  I always felt that all the best players were new at one time..and grabbing them while they are level 10 is a heck of a lot easier than trying to recruit them  away from someone when they are level 50.

I know where they are coming from....many people just join for the free trial and disappear... they figure to get to 20..you have to stick around for at least longer than 10 days...   Hey, not nearly as bad as the End game guilds in WoW where only level 60's need apply... (for a good reason there as well)