Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC 2

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I wonder why Mythic never decided to make a DAoC2. The first one is and was popular. With the graphics of today and the experience they have I bet they could make a excellent sequel.

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Because they have updated the graphics constantly (the first to do so and EQ copied them shortly after) so there is not much there to be changed.  It also takes a lot of money and resources to develop a game and sequals in mmo do not do so well.  The closest you are going to get is WAR. 
  • The updated graphics of Dark Age of Camelot are nice, and most aspects of the interface feel modern enough to be enjoyable. I could imagine a total overhaul for a sequel, which would be lovely, but Warhammer Online seems to be Mythic's main focus now, as well as a kind of 'sequel' to their previous successful game.
  • KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

I think it's better this way, honestly. Most people imagine that MMORPG sequels retain most of the players of the original game while bringing in new ones. In dealing with aged games, though, the reality is that sequels split communities more than anything else.

If WAR turns out to be the spiritual successor of DAoC, I think it will bring in a lot of new blood while still remaining enjoyable to DAoC veterans. The same way that DAoC's features excited a lot of old-guard MMORPG players back in the day, I believe this game has the potential to excite many players brought into the genre by newer entries such as WoW.

• MynnoMynno Member Posts: 21

Actually they had a much better game they were working on after DAoC but then they shelved it and shortly thereafter announced that they were working on yet another "yawn" medieval genre game. Now don't get me wrong, I think Warhammer is going to be good. Heck I use to run Warhammer RPG for my friends and love the setting. But people are getting burned out on the whole medieval setting since it's been over done much like reality t.v. shows.

At any rate if you would like to see a truly original game that was being developed by Mythic and I hope one day is re-started here is a link http://www.imperatoronline.com/pressrelease/ .

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I had high hopes for Imperator, and was disappointed to see it go.  Sequels rarely work, split the community as someone mentioned and don't bring enough new to the table to entice many new players....

Best we can hope for is that DAOC continues to be improved, which Mythic seems determined to do...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon