Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"somethings wrong when EVE would win the best PVE award"

Comments

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Originally posted by Gameloading

You understand my point, and you know just as well as I do that one who plays longer will always be stronger then one who plays less, no matter how much time is put into the game, because of the skill system.
    They will always have more skill POINTS. They will not always be stronger. The fact that you cant make this distinction is why you were never good at EVE, and why you've blamed that on skill POINTS.
  • Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

This thread delivers!  I vote for more threads like this

wait..

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/107888

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by Incrementum WoW has a rich and big world?  Hah!  90% of the terrain is computer generated, fool.

I was rooting for you cause you had an anime avatar, but damn where the hell did you come up with that. There are only a few games that have used a program to generate terrain, 1 upcoming scifi mmo I can't remember the name of using BigWorld; Eve Online; and Dark and Light. There is no way 90% of WoW was computer generated unless your talking about rendering, but then its 100%. You can actually see the workmanship of the designers using the Quake Engine. If all that was done by a program, please introduce me to the programmer cause he will know how to code in all that gameplay everyone wants so badly.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by RollinDutch

You understand my point, and you know just as well as I do that one who plays longer will always be stronger then one who plays less, no matter how much time is put into the game, because of the skill system.
    They will always have more skill POINTS. They will not always be stronger. The fact that you cant make this distinction is why you were never good at EVE, and why you've blamed that on skill POINTS. I was never good at EVE? Blaming it on skill points? My good sir, I don't recall I ever said anything about me doing good or bad in EVE. Its sad, Its seems the "If you don't like EVE, it MUST be because you weren't good at it!" norm of many eve fans still exists today.
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

The PVE in EVE Online is good. 

The PVE is World of Warcraft is good.

Both games rescycle models that appear in different difficulties. Blue, red, green faries or 2k, 8k or 30k pirates, every game reuses models with some rarely being unique.

Those are facts. 

Another fact:  I cannot stand WoW.  I've played several times since launch alhough never more then 2 weeks on a paid month.  I'll sub for 1 month once ever 4-6 months, then that's it, till next time.  I frequent other games too...

EVE Online has one of the best designed gaming environments ever concieved!  How can I say this?  I've played lots of games.  But this is not saying that "it is the best" since that would be a matter of opinion.  (honestly, I think it IS the best)

One thing that too many of these whinny little brats are missing is that posters on forums are a sliver of those who read said forums.  Yep, you guessed it: the vocal minority.  There are many readers who use mmorpg.com without ever posting.  These are were the votes are coming from.  :)

Regarding the gameloading-blog: keep up the effort.  Be sure you educate your self a little more so you're site and blog begin to recieve more notice.  It's a back handed compliment, sorry.  It's good although not accurate when you're comparing to a single experiance in relation to a "fantasy" setting.  Know your stuff so your hobby will take off.  Nothing started with WoW.

For others:

McDonalds has served many millions.  How many McDonalds have been built around the world?  Dare anyone say they make the best hamburgers based on the sole fact of "millions served"?  Nope.  They're stuff is crap, and bad for you - much like World of Warcraft.

EVE players do not want any of the whinners and trolls playing their game.  Simple as that.  They only extend an effort to help others when they feel a person expresses interest.  It's not an effort to "recruit".  We who enjoy a superb community in EVE are not wanting it fouled with "r-tards". 

You know what I'll be doing when I get home?  I'll be enjoying PvE in EVE tonight for HOURS!!  I haven't been able to maintain interest in WoW's PvE system for more then 20 minutes.  But I find myself enthralled in EVE's environment ever time I log in!

and yes, the PvE in EVE has improved.  Not only that, but it continues to improve!

ok - time for everyone to go wack on faries with sticks for gold pieces.   yay!!1

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Petra

I for one have never understood the hype of Eve Online.  I tried the game and found it to be a total bore.   For this game to totally sweep the awards totally baffes my mind.  It must be as someone said in an earlier post "Eve Fanboys" of the game must keep the hype for this game up and led to the bias winning of most categories for the MMORPG awards. I am a bit disappointed in the results, but have become accustom to the bias opinions of this game on this website. 
    Now for the "Eve Fanboys" to bash me for my opinion.  But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is mine.
    Eve Online blows chunks 

Don't really care about your opinion of EVE.

But I find it hillarious that you people think EVE players voted for it for best PVE :)  I think what you're seeing is more the WoW haters voting for anything that's not WoW.  Granted some of those WoW haters are probably EVE players as well but by and large most EVE players will come right out and tell you that the PVE in EVE is pretty much just there to make ISK from so you can get back to PVP :)

But WoW isn't worth a vote either.

So before blaming "EVE fanboi's" for the results maybe you should think about the people who HATE WoW more than the people who like EVE.  Just because EVE won in a category doesn't mean that it's fans (all 80-100,000 of them) caused it.  Think twice about that then remember that WoW has over 7 million accounts.... so at least 3mil or so players.  If you honestly think 80,000 players can out-vote 3 million you're delusional.

My guess:  WoW players didn't vote, WoW haters voted against WoW and (most) EVE players voted honestly.  Ya'll love to bash EVE because it's not your thing.  I get it.  But think before posting.  Anyone with half a brain can quickly deduce that a game with about 1/100th the population of WoW isn't winning votes because they can post so many more votes than the competition.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• AeausAeaus Member Posts: 1
    Hilarious.

I'm an EVE-Online Player (in fact, I've been playing for close to Two Years now), and frankly, I don't see how EVE could stand a chance in hell of winning a Best PVE award.

Being a sandbox game does limit the PVE aspect, in EVE to get to any "decent" PVE you need to brind up to LVL IV agents or hit 0.0, or find a complex.

Griniding up to a LVL IV agent requires very high standings to a corporation, and unless you start working on these pretty much from your first day in EVE, you'll find the preceeding missions absolutely easy, and you have several weeks ahead of you to get to even use the decent agents, assuming you don't play 12 hours a day on agents alone.

Going into 0.0 is the easiest way to get good ISK, but it's absolutely boring. All you do is warp from belt to belt blasting whatever you come against, NPCs are hilarious easy in belts. The only problem is that there will be players hunting you all the time, so the rush comes from avoiding player-created danger and not the NPCs.

Complexs are even worse, they're often camped by a bunch of farmers that login when they spawn, blast through the initial stages with the keys they collected before and move on to the last stage to reap the rewards before any normal player has a chance. Cosmos is a decent experience, but requires some skill.

There is no PVE in EVE that compares to other MMORPGS, I haven't played WoW, but EQII (even) blows it completely out of the water.

The enjoyment of EVE comes from the player made content, not the PVE.

Additional Note : There are four races in EVE, and while you can train any race's ships at any time, the Caldari Ships can blast through any PVE like a hot knife through butter, so if you want to even be competitive (earn isk and be effective) you're pretty much forced to train Caldari (Ravens are extremely overpowered for PVE).
  • ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

I'm suprised EvE didn't win for most anticipated game as well..

LOL

• phenoix63phenoix63 Member Posts: 23
    I believe this is correct for this reason, and i think most of you are looking at PvE the wrong way.

There is different Pvs as you all know, PvP, where a player goes against another Player and  PvM where a player goes against another NPC, which is what WoW, i think should of won.

But then there is PvE, Player vs Enviroment. Enviroment is not just NPCs, or just Players, it's the challenges in general a player must go through. I've played many MMOs, including P2P and F2P, and yes EVE does give the biggest challenge. WoW is diffentely NOT a challenge, probably the least challenging game there is.

Also as you can see alot of people don't like EVE, i've seen that a lot, and they said that this game isn't for alot/some people. Maybe this game is just to complex for you, or to challenging, there for, the PvE is to much for you to handle. :)

"Peace is in the eye of the beholder"

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

EVE isn't item centric?
    T2?  Oh wait!  You can't even grind for those BPOs.  You have to suck up to the Devs on the boards for them to give you one.

Your a bit out of date then as recently you can get Tech 2 BPC's from your encoder modules [ as soon as the bugs are ironed out tech 2 will be a lot easer].

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Anyone even bothered to take the award seriously?

Lets face it this forum has been invaded and taken over by eve players and SWG haters.Eve fans take this vote very seriously and always do a "call to arms" when its time to vote.

Trust me if WoW,EQ2 or lineage 2 post on their front page like eve did last year  about this voting you would see them win all the awards .Heck if all this 3 games did that eve would not even win a noimation to start with.

• phenoix63phenoix63 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by hercules

Anyone even bothered to take the award seriously?
    Lets face it this forum has been invaded and taken over by eve players and SWG haters.Eve fans take this vote very seriously and always do a "call to arms" when its time to vote.
    Trust me if WoW,EQ2 or lineage 2 post on their front page like eve did last year  about this voting you would see them win all the awards .Heck if all this 3 games did that eve would not even win a noimation to start with.
    I used to play WoW, and EQ. I wish i had a penny everytime i heard people COMPLAIN about the game. One of the reasons i quit those games is because moaned and complained constantly saying "WoW needs.." or "EQ Needs"... or blah blah etc.

That was from day 1 i heard that kind of complaints, most the people who play WoW aren't even gamers, they just play the game on the side, along with EQ, i'm not sure about Lineage.

So no, EVE would continue to win.

I mean if you guys are so annoyed about EVE winning, get more people to vote. After all you all thing that's the problem, then do it and let's see who wins.

"Peace is in the eye of the beholder"

• IllionIllion Member Posts: 6
    Eve is one of the only MMO's I've played where the community seems to actually enjoy it - so many others  have whinners left, right and centre.

Thats always going to screw up another games voting.
  • IAMTHEGAMEIAMTHEGAME Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by b0rderline99

i totally agree

but i also think that it helped that it was against WoW, becuause a lot of people who dont like WoW most likely just voted against it in everything
    I think thats exactly why Eve Won Everything:  it was more like Eve Won 30% because of Eve Itself and 70% because everyone hated WoW.

The Game.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

i really have to say that in a competition over PVE, with one competitor having PVE only servers and the other only having a pvp centric server, the PVE game should almost automatically win. 

Plus in a professional poll which included a much larger demographic WoW statistically should absolutly demolish EvE.  WoW has over seven or eight million players, who all play the game because they like it more than the other MMO's out thier, EvE does not have nearly as many players.  So if Eve was a better PvE game than WoW, the difference in subscribers would not be so great, because people would play the game with better PVE.

And just because i know this is coming, no i am not currently subscribed to WoW, a fanboi, or biased in any way, im just thinking about this logically

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

I was never good at EVE? Blaming it on skill points? My good sir, I don't recall I ever said anything about me doing good or bad in EVE. Its sad, Its seems the "If you don't like EVE, it MUST be because you weren't good at it!" norm of many eve fans still exists today.
    You can not like EVE for a shitload of reasons. I dont care about any of them.

If you think that the skill system means that you can never catch veterans, you sucked at EVE. Its not a matter of opinion - you failed at being even a marginally competent player. One directly and unerringly leads to the other.

The fact that you cant seem to let it go also makes you immature, which is a real great set of qualities to have. You're a winner.
  • b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

I was never good at EVE? Blaming it on skill points? My good sir, I don't recall I ever said anything about me doing good or bad in EVE. Its sad, Its seems the "If you don't like EVE, it MUST be because you weren't good at it!" norm of many eve fans still exists today.
    You can not like EVE for a shitload of reasons. I dont care about any of them.

If you think that the skill system means that you can never catch veterans, you sucked at EVE. Its not a matter of opinion - you failed at being even a marginally competent player. One directly and unerringly leads to the other.

The fact that you cant seem to let it go also makes you immature, which is a real great set of qualities to have. You're a winner.

well if you would kindly explain, because i am totally in the dark apparently

• PetraPetra Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Taram

Originally posted by Petra

I for one have never understood the hype of Eve Online.  I tried the game and found it to be a total bore.   For this game to totally sweep the awards totally baffes my mind.  It must be as someone said in an earlier post "Eve Fanboys" of the game must keep the hype for this game up and led to the bias winning of most categories for the MMORPG awards. I am a bit disappointed in the results, but have become accustom to the bias opinions of this game on this website. 
    Now for the "Eve Fanboys" to bash me for my opinion.  But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is mine.
    Eve Online blows chunks 

Don't really care about your opinion of EVE.

But I find it hillarious that you people think EVE players voted for it for best PVE :)  I think what you're seeing is more the WoW haters voting for anything that's not WoW.  Granted some of those WoW haters are probably EVE players as well but by and large most EVE players will come right out and tell you that the PVE in EVE is pretty much just there to make ISK from so you can get back to PVP :)

But WoW isn't worth a vote either.

So before blaming "EVE fanboi's" for the results maybe you should think about the people who HATE WoW more than the people who like EVE.  Just because EVE won in a category doesn't mean that it's fans (all 80-100,000 of them) caused it.  Think twice about that then remember that WoW has over 7 million accounts.... so at least 3mil or so players.  If you honestly think 80,000 players can out-vote 3 million you're delusional.

My guess:  WoW players didn't vote, WoW haters voted against WoW and (most) EVE players voted honestly.  Ya'll love to bash EVE because it's not your thing.  I get it.  But think before posting.  Anyone with half a brain can quickly deduce that a game with about 1/100th the population of WoW isn't winning votes because they can post so many more votes than the competition.

As I stated everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is mine.  So  you don't care for my opinion, you cared enough to bash my opinion.  But truly that  doesn't matter to me in the least. I expected more bashes from the  "eve fanboys" actually, as it does appear this site has become a haven for the Eve online fans/players.

You may have a point that more WoW haters voted against it since the actual number of subscribers for Eve is 150k or less.  Yet WoW must be doing something right with over 7 million subscribers and growing.  Perhaps the truth is more the players of WoW are too busy actually enjoying playing the game online than taking time to come to this site and vote

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

It's a possibility that this is the result of a negative campaign on WoW...

Negativity is unfortunatly a stronger motivator than a positive mindset...

I don't know anything about EVE... I tried the demo ... 2 hours into the walkthrough I gave up trying to grasp everything and deinstalled it. I hear lots of good things about that game though... I just doubt it's so incredible that it would rank above all the competition out there.

• MedronMedron Member Posts: 2

How "dare" I tell you that you can never catch up to a veteran EVE player..? Uhm..you DID play the game, didn't you? A veteran will ALWAYS have more skills then one who started at a later time, because the skill system is based on real time, not on actual time spend ingame playing.
    Skill POINTS. Not SKILLS.

Skill POINTS are irrelevant after a few months. SKILLS are never irrelevant, nor do veterans have a significant advantage in them.

Your problem is that you think skill POINTS correspond to levels in other games. Higher level = better. More skill POINTS does not make you more effective at the game. Its a common misconception with people who lack SKILLS and blame it on skill POINTS. That does not make skill POINTS in any way relevant compared to SKILLS. You understand my point, and you know just as well as I do that one who plays longer will always be stronger then one who plays less, no matter how much time is put into the game, because of the skill system.

I've played a lot of MMOs.  Earth and Beyond, Everquest, WoW, Eve, and others.  The standard fantasy-style class and level games (using the basic D&D format) have a single aspect.  The more levels you have, the more hit points and jazz you have.  Period.  End of Line.  For a level 5 character to kill a level 10 character is all but unheard of.  It's all but impossible.

In Eve however, things are a might different.  Somebody in a cruiser can be killed by a frigate.  It all depends on how you catch them, how you approach them, whether or not you can avoid their shots, and a hundred other variables.  Just because they are "more powerful" than you because they've been in game longer and have more skill points than you, does not mean you can't beat them.

One of the favorite past times in Eve actually (and a DANG fun time if I say so myself) is taking a fleet of frigates (akin to a level 1 player) and go off to waste a battleship (level 20) or three for fun.  In D&D style games, you get more powerful and anybody less powerful than you dies.  Period.

In Eve, there a hundred ways to kill somebody with more skill points than you.  It's all in the strategy you use.  Somebody with more skill points than you is not necesarrily more powerful than you.  They might have bigger guns, but a poorly trained alt character in a frigate could lock their dreadnaught down in three point five seconds and leave it as helpless as a baby.  And what would take that alt frigate out?  Some other alt for the other guys in a cheap frigate, that's what.

You see...Eve has a very interesting balance.  That big dreadnaught (level 50) who tries to target and shoot that tiny little frigate (level 1) can barely see him.  His guns can't track the little bugger.  It takes a small ship to take out a small ship.  So just because that guy has a big honking ship and the skills to use it, does not mean that the little guy with a frigate is out of the game.  That little guy with the frigate can turn the tide of a fifty ship battle because he locks down one enemy ship.

You see...in Eve, its all in how you play.  Its not how many levels you have.  Its not how powerful you are.  Its how you use what you have.

Medron Pryde - a Proud Browncoat

"If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Mal - Firefly

• Stratus8Stratus8 Member Posts: 173
    There really is something wrong when EVE wins PvE. Theres barely any E to kill in EVE except for an occasional pirate or in missions.
  • ManicJediManicJedi Member Posts: 68
    This is probly not the right spot for this but ohh well I have played eve and I have seen how many awards EVE has won and I very confused, cuz when I think of Eve I think of..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................Ohhhh what sorry fell asleep what was I saying ohh yea Eve well when I think of It I think of how much of a snooz fest it is. How can it win anyhting.
  • naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909
    Originally posted by ManicJedi

This is probly not the right spot for this but ohh well I have played eve and I have seen how many awards EVE has won and I very confused, cuz when I think of Eve I think of..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................Ohhhh what sorry fell asleep what was I saying ohh yea Eve well when I think of It I think of how much of a snooz fest it is. How can it win anyhting.
    Dont forget the "zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz booommmm! ah damn i fell asleep and got ganked by a TP PK bot", as for the PvE really nobody can say EVE deserves that award, it's plain silly...
  • LeasaLeasa Member Posts: 449

How "dare" I tell you that you can never catch up to a veteran EVE player..? Uhm..you DID play the game, didn't you? A veteran will ALWAYS have more skills then one who started at a later time, because the skill system is based on real time, not on actual time spend ingame playing.

Skill POINTS are irrelevant after a few months. SKILLS are never irrelevant, nor do veterans have a significant advantage in them.

Your problem is that you think skill POINTS correspond to levels in other games. Higher level = better. More skill POINTS does not make you more effective at the game. Its a common misconception with people who lack SKILLS and blame it on skill POINTS. That does not make skill POINTS in any way relevant compared to SKILLS.You understand my point, and you know just as well as I do that one who plays longer will always be stronger then one who plays less, no matter how much time is put into the game, because of the skill system.

Gameloading that is so not true.  I don't think you have  given the game a fair chance at all.   So many factors come into play when people fight in EVE.  I myself have defeated veteran players with alot more skill points than me.  The difference between a skill at level 4 and level 5 is very little.   People (you included) who still claim that skill points are everything, just frankly don't know what they are talking about.

Also I do agree that EQII has better PVE.  But I will say "Just pull up your big boy pants and deal with it"

Support Bacteria, its the only culture some people have.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Leasa

Your problem is that you think skill POINTS correspond to levels in other games. Higher level = better. More skill POINTS does not make you more effective at the game. Its a common misconception with people who lack SKILLS and blame it on skill POINTS. That does not make skill POINTS in any way relevant compared to SKILLS.You understand my point, and you know just as well as I do that one who plays longer will always be stronger then one who plays less, no matter how much time is put into the game, because of the skill system.

Gameloading that is so not true.  I don't think you have  given the game a fair chance at all.   So many factors come into play when people fight in EVE.  I myself have defeated veteran players with alot more skill points than me.  The difference between a skill at level 4 and level 5 is very little.   People (you included) who still claim that skill points are everything, just frankly don't know what they are talking about.

Also I do agree that EQII has better PVE.  But I will say "Just pull up your big boy pants and deal with it"

Could you please point out where I said that skill points are everything? go ahead. I would apreciate if you would NOT put words in my mouth. Moving on, the so veteran you faced is STILL stronger then your character (or ship). It doesn't matter if you beat him or not, in terms of numbers, he is still stronger then you. If i defeat a level 60 warrior with my level 56 Paladin does mean I'm a good players, Not that my character is stronger then the warrior. Its the exact same thing.