Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMOWTF: 2006 MMOWTF Awards

Comments

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by mindmeld
    Im surprised DARK AND LIGHT didnt get any more hate than it did.

The devs still owe me money for the month i paid without even getting into the game.
    I pretty much gave up after the 6th letter i sent them..

I managed at least to cancel the subscription .

That it got anything is a real testament to how bad it really was.  I mean there wasn't a really big following there.  I managed to cancel and get my refund.  Even on the busiest day--a week or so after the launches) it was pretty barren.

• cyberace66cyberace66 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Well good to see DnL and SWG finally get the awards they deserve. Now if they would only kill the NGE maybe someone would make a good starwars mmorpg.image

I think they should give a special mention to the DEV that thought up the CU and NGE; what was his name?

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Good results as far as I can tell.  Will have to agree with another poster that stated its good to see DNL get the award it deserves.

I agree fully with Dans personal picks. Voted all DNL except for IP. Since I never played SWG (yes! due to the publicity) I cannot say anything about it. The hate is overwhelming for that game -- almost as much as mine for DNL.

Lets all hope however that these awards will make the next batch of "screw you players" type of devs will think twice.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by tillamook
    Originally posted by jwshaw88
    Originally posted by tillamook Nope, it was SOE. It's their game. LEC only promotes it. Do you think Lucas films deals with defective Hasbro Star Wars toys? They don't. But they do spend some of their own advertising dollars to promote the products based on their IP.

No, I don't think they deal with defective toys, but if they decide that the Chewbaca action figure looks better in a pink dress with a red basket, it's their right to change it.  The community that loves star wars so much and buys these toys for their kids would be in an outrage, Chewbaca is a wookie, a tough creature of sheer power, he doesn't belong in a dress, we won't buy this crap.  LEC responds, we don't care, we like the cuter and more cuddly Chewy, he stays.  Their toy sales go into the dumper, people toss out their old toys, no longer needing upgraded blasters and utility belts and Millenium Falcon toys to go with their Chewy.  Sales are down, the community is mad, no one subscribes to Star Wars action figure collecting any more.  This is what happened to SWG in a nut shell, I can't think that SOE would honestly make this change, take a huge hit on their game and not at least use their learnings and drift back to some semblance of the old ways.  I am just saying it seems like SOE probably doesn't take as much fault as one would think.  Take for example Vanguard, the agreement between Sigil and SOE is that Sigil maintains IP rights, SOE puts their label on the box and runs the servers, more or less.  If Sigil makes a change, folks might be quick to dump that change on SOE, but it may in fact be Sigil that did it and due to their agreement, SOE can not "blame" the bed fellow they publish the game with.  This is of course just food for thought because the fact remains that someone flew the death star over the SWG universe and blasted it.  The good news is, even though a million voices cried out in pain, they were not silenced. image

PS.  The game as it stands now seems that it needs a title change to "Star Wars: Battlefront Online" because it sure plays like battlefront and not like any other MMO.  I guess that's where my suspicions lie with the game changes.....

There was a reason SOE took the chance. They were never at risk of losing the licensing for the current SWG, they were betting on getting the development licensing for the second SW MMO, now in development by another unnamed company. The NGE failed to impress the players or LEC. LEC tried to promote it on TV but it was no good, the game was still the buggy POS it always has been, even worse. LEC has now taken a step back from most of their connection with SWG by shoving people off their boards who complain about it and sending them to SOE. SOE has stated it was totally their idea many many times and that some really smart guys had an idea and took a chance. It failed and now they admit it (see the most recent dev rant) They honestly thought they could turn the game around. Sure they knew it would make some people mad but ultimately they thought people would return to play it and realize it was better than ever. They moved fast because the bids were in and the game development needed to be started very soon to launch in conjunction with the new TV series in the works by Lucas Films. Major development of the new SW MMO title started late December of last year. The game is supposed to launch Q4 of 07, 2 years in development sped up by the acquisition of a game engine that has most of the development bells and whistles built in such as billing, customer service, ect.  I assume by Q2 of 07 you will hear who it is who is building it.

Any link to this latest dev post/rant?

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    /agree with the voters on SWG. I miss the orginal :(

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Originally posted by fansede

No surpirse - The members have no love for SWG. When it first came out I had no qualms with it, as everyone else.
    I had no idea it was loathed that much though..

This member has love for SWG!
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I find it interesting that the Dark and Light graphics are said to be crap, yet there is still a stickied post in the mmorpg.com forums showing these shots:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/thread/21867

Either those shots are fake, or the article is wrong on that point. Not having played the game, someone tell me which is it?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

I love the MMOWTF Awards this is the best topic ever written by an editor, excellent job.

I knew SWG's demise would one day happen but I had no clue it would take this long. I beta tested the original SWG and played for 2 to 3 months after release when I realized SOE was ruining this title faster than Rosie O'Donnell can eat a hamburger.

I just simply didn't think it would take people so long to figure this out. I quit for good when I left then and as I see that the majority hates SOE and their Frankenstein creation known as SWG here, my question would be why is SWG still going?

DnL I never tried but followed the news on it for a while until I figured out that game wasn't even worth trying.

Anyways great topic look forward to more MMOWTF Awards and I hope some of these companies, (i.e. SOE), have read the awards list and responses.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Obraik
    I think there should be a new category:  "Largest trailing baggage."  Heh, this one I would agree with SWG winning image

Ah, so it's baggage that it deserved to win all those awards in realtime by a VAST majority of those who have played it this year. To bad they wasn't a Fanboi Cat...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

I think there should be a new category:  "Largest trailing baggage."  Heh, this one I would agree with SWG winning image

The truth shall set you free!1 SWG is awful, how many more articles, polls and what not will you need to see before you agree? Or do you just plug your ears and go LALALALALALALA!

Personal experinence is much more valuable to me then what a bunch of ex-players on a personal vendetta think ;)

Since it's personal experience that caused us to feel this way, I'd say it's more important then what a Spinning Fanboi thinks...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• DarkeOneDarkeOne Member Posts: 36
    I think MMORPG. com should change to wehateswg.com. While I don't agree with the changes made to the game and some aspects Pre NGE, it seems that every other person here on this site is a rabid SWG hater.

No I'm not a fanboy. But man o man I'm tired of seeing the SWG crap. Ok it was really bad. Let it go. Move on. go play your favorite MMOG already. If you can't let it go and the number of you are legion then get together, use former subscription dollars and do what everyone else does in America. Sue em. If not launch an ad campaign and maybe the bad publicity will make 'em notice and change things.

And if you're still playing SWG and you're still ranting then you deserve whatever crap they dish out at you. You're paying for it after all!image

D

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by DarkeOne
    Ok it was really bad. Let it go. Move on. go play your favorite MMOG already.

I am a SoE defender even if I like to tease them a lot; especially if raid-related, and by no mean a SWG hater...

However I see a problematic with your suggestion...favorite MMOG?  I have a less bad MMO ATM, but saddly no favorite that I can play.  I suppose to peoples who where enjoying SWG, if they don't like Saga of Ryzom, then there is nothing else for them atm...gameplay-wise.

The lack of gameplay variations in the MMO genre is astonishing, especially that they usually use all the same gameplays and twist them in a similar fashion...as if they had found what the human race want as a whole...hehe, they have MUCH room for improvement.  See, let's take BioWare (I am a Bio-fan), they just pick a few neglicted gameplays and they focus on these aspects.  They are not even original about it (from the little info we got), yet, it will prolly rock us all, as the best MMO ever.

To ask them to let's it go, you have to see that they can let's it go for something else...and even if I am by no mean a SWG fan/hater, I just don't see what they could take to replace this MMO...beside maybe SoR, yet SoR isn't for everyone.  SWG was always casual friendly, and SoR is extremely hardcore...soooo, not easy on these players.

Hate itself is better than indiference and is rather close to love.  SoE staff should stop feel crippled by the online community and afraid of it, just ignore it a little and take this hate with pride and try to change it into love, because hate can be changed into love, it just need the proper rework.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    the entie article is against SWG and Dark and light, yes i reconize
    that these games suck hind tit but there are more games that suck
    equally as bad

• max2008max2008 Member Posts: 91

I am happy to see the author kept his own pick because like stated those  votes for SWG were purely at heart votes rather then the reality of things.

Like most deolate.SWG has not got the population it had but its far from been most deolate.I also do not agree with DAoC .I think DnL and RV are certainly more empty.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Originally posted by mbblade
    the entie article is against SWG and Dark and light, yes i reconize that these games suck hind tit but there are more games that suck equally as bad

yep, every single MMO game that came out this year. 2006 was a very bad year in MMO history!
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RabidaskalRabidaskal Member Posts: 238

Originally posted by mbblade
    the entie article is against SWG and Dark and light, yes i reconize that these games suck hind tit but there are more games that suck equally as bad

I beg to disagree, nothing sucks more than DnL imo.  DnL sucks more ass than an all-you-can-eat butt buffet image

I don''t really know when Humankind will die out but i''m guessing about 6 years before WOW.
    -BarCrow

• vickykolvickykol Member UncommonPosts: 106

I guess that the problem with voting on this kind of award is that most of us don't even see the really horrendous games, which is why I didn't vote.  I suspect that DnL is awful, but I didn't waste my money on it.

The problem that SWG has is entirely based upon the fact that it had a large userbase that was systematically and repeatedly burned.  I knew that it would win in categories where it clearly was not the worst, just because the voters weren't aware of the real turkeys (how many people saw the mess that is Roma Victor?).

SWG deserves a separate lifetime underachievement award and then retired from future consideration.

• DocOctaneDocOctane Member Posts: 16

The head spinning turn around is what did it in for SWG. Very unique skill system, very unique character creation, unique combat system and faction system, killer game turned into absolute junk almost overnight. I just want the code. Take the same "pre-cu "game re-skin it to not be tethered to the Star Wars franchise and work out the bugd and fixes "THE PLAYER BASE WANTED".YOu'd have a successfully popular game.

• DocOctaneDocOctane Member Posts: 16

::::31::

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

SWG? no surprise..

SOE goes for a new target audience but are forgetting they already had a great community. Now most of the community they had is gone and it seems that hardly anyone of the new target people are coming to play the game.

the game is probably balancing between life and death. Im curious how long it will last until they will pull the plug.

If so..let someone else make SWG2. Im personally thinking of blizzard lol since they seem to know what they are doing image

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Very funny article. I only wish I had gotten a chance to throw in a couple of contestants!

• iamhated916iamhated916 Member Posts: 11
    It's a real bummer too. The PvP in that game (Pre-cu) was some of the best i've ever had.

WestSide!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Originally posted by iamhated916
    It's a real bummer too. The PvP in that game (Pre-cu) was some of the best i've ever had.

one of the best PvP games of all time, till people started crying about it and the devs nerfed TEF.  There were some balance issues but they were minor. They didn't need to turn the game upside down twice.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DarkeOneDarkeOne Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Anofalye
    Originally posted by DarkeOne
    Ok it was really bad. Let it go. Move on. go play your favorite MMOG already.

I am a SoE defender even if I like to tease them a lot; especially if raid-related, and by no mean a SWG hater...

However I see a problematic with your suggestion...favorite MMOG?  I have a less bad MMO ATM, but saddly no favorite that I can play.  I suppose to peoples who where enjoying SWG, if they don't like Saga of Ryzom, then there is nothing else for them atm...gameplay-wise.

The lack of gameplay variations in the MMO genre is astonishing, especially that they usually use all the same gameplays and twist them in a similar fashion...as if they had found what the human race want as a whole...hehe, they have MUCH room for improvement.  See, let's take BioWare (I am a Bio-fan), they just pick a few neglicted gameplays and they focus on these aspects.  They are not even original about it (from the little info we got), yet, it will prolly rock us all, as the best MMO ever.

To ask them to let's it go, you have to see that they can let's it go for something else...and even if I am by no mean a SWG fan/hater, I just don't see what they could take to replace this MMO...beside maybe SoR, yet SoR isn't for everyone.  SWG was always casual friendly, and SoR is extremely hardcore...soooo, not easy on these players.

Hate itself is better than indiference and is rather close to love.  SoE staff should stop feel crippled by the online community and afraid of it, just ignore it a little and take this hate with pride and try to change it into love, because hate can be changed into love, it just need the proper rework.

Allow me to clarify as my haste in the post added misleading and incomplete elements.

When I said 'let it go' I was addressing to those former players who are consumed by their anger and hate at SOE/SWG and to move on. Whiile venting is good for stress relief, holding on to the anger isn't. Better to channel it into making a change rather that griping to no end.

As for favorite MMOG, you can substiute that for favorite game, pastime, what have you. Since money is the deciding factors in these games, paying to play something you're unhappy with only enables it to continue. Don't bitch about how lousy the game is but keep giving them money. They don't learn their lesson that way and it makes the player look desperate and stupid. If you can't find something to do with your time & money but play a game that lost its appeal, then you got problems.

The bottom line is the almighty dollar and that is something any MMOG producer/developer can't ignore. The other being bad press. Take those two elements and use it get the game you want.

D

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by MX13

The truth shall set you free!1 SWG is awful, how many more articles, polls and what not will you need to see before you agree? Or do you just plug your ears and go LALALALALALALA!

Personal experinence is much more valuable to me then what a bunch of ex-players on a personal vendetta think ;)

Since it's personal experience that caused us to feel this way, I'd say it's more important then what a Spinning Fanboi thinks...

Try reading :)  I said "valuable to me", not valuable as broad statement ;)  Ie.  My own experience in the game will dictate what I think about the game, not the opinions of a bunch of people that think they know what they want in a game.

This discussion has been closed.