Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMOWTF: 2006 MMOWTF Awards

Comments

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by jwshaw88
    Originally posted by tillamook Nope, it was SOE. It's their game. LEC only promotes it. Do you think Lucas films deals with defective Hasbro Star Wars toys? They don't. But they do spend some of their own advertising dollars to promote the products based on their IP.

No, I don't think they deal with defective toys, but if they decide that the Chewbaca action figure looks better in a pink dress with a red basket, it's their right to change it.  The community that loves star wars so much and buys these toys for their kids would be in an outrage, Chewbaca is a wookie, a tough creature of sheer power, he doesn't belong in a dress, we won't buy this crap.  LEC responds, we don't care, we like the cuter and more cuddly Chewy, he stays.  Their toy sales go into the dumper, people toss out their old toys, no longer needing upgraded blasters and utility belts and Millenium Falcon toys to go with their Chewy.  Sales are down, the community is mad, no one subscribes to Star Wars action figure collecting any more.  This is what happened to SWG in a nut shell, I can't think that SOE would honestly make this change, take a huge hit on their game and not at least use their learnings and drift back to some semblance of the old ways.  I am just saying it seems like SOE probably doesn't take as much fault as one would think.  Take for example Vanguard, the agreement between Sigil and SOE is that Sigil maintains IP rights, SOE puts their label on the box and runs the servers, more or less.  If Sigil makes a change, folks might be quick to dump that change on SOE, but it may in fact be Sigil that did it and due to their agreement, SOE can not "blame" the bed fellow they publish the game with.  This is of course just food for thought because the fact remains that someone flew the death star over the SWG universe and blasted it.  The good news is, even though a million voices cried out in pain, they were not silenced. image

PS.  The game as it stands now seems that it needs a title change to "Star Wars: Battlefront Online" because it sure plays like battlefront and not like any other MMO.  I guess that's where my suspicions lie with the game changes.....

Except you seem to miss one thing.  Lucas put out the "special edition" original trilogy.  Though the fans were displeased when the release of the dvd's happened lucas said that the SE is the new official original trilogy and that the original would never make it to dvd.

With the outrage Lucas recanted and released the original trilogy.  SOE wont recant.  SOE is in charge of SWG and the only thing that lucas signs off on is canon specific additions or subtractions to the entities within the game.  How the game is managed and how the game is developed has always been in the hands of SOE (well before that Verant I believe).  The NGE was created by the devs at SOE, shown to motard Jullio Torres, and they all danced happily about how fun it was.

With Vanguard, currently its under control of Sigil with publishing etc handled by SOE, just like SWG was when it was developed.  McQuaid is as bad as Smedley ever was and within a few months of vanguard's release sony will buy out sigil.  Just like they did with Verant.  When the changes come to the game that make it worse (though that will be hard to do) people will bemoan Sigil when in fact it is sony.

• GaylenGaylen Member Posts: 113
    Not quite, jshaw.  Horrors such as your example have been perpetrated for years.  Read just about any of the Expanded Universe (EU), AKA the Eww!  Endless clones of Palpatine, Evil Luke, Chewie dead!  LucasFilm has assumed for years that no matter what the quality of a product is, SW fans will buy it.  As much as everyone says they hate the PT, all the films sure did make a crapload of money.  SWG might be the first SW product since the Holiday Special to be so bad that even die-hard fans have turned their backs on it. 

I'll guarantee you that George Lucas couldn't even tell you what an MMO is, let alone prove any awareness of his own.  He has people that have people that have people that sign off on things like video games.

Previous played: SWG (pre-NGE), DAoC, CoH, Anarchy Online, DDO, Champions Online Beta, LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR

• DestroyeronDestroyeron Member Posts: 79
    "at least the PS3 works great right?"

LAWL

• TafioTafio Member Posts: 17
    SWG got some very true awards!!

If $OE brought back from Pre-CU server, they might have a heart attack because of how many people reup there subs

Well that will never happen...

www.swgemu.com FTWimage
    Fixing what SomeOnE broke

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Way to tally up the votes little buddy!

I'm sorry for voting for SWG, I really am. I know DnL deserved many of those awards, but thankfully I avoided ever playing that POS. In fact: I barely even consider DnL to be a game, so it couldn't be voted for! hehe (Sorry to both of you who still play DnL!)

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by tillamook
    Nope, it was SOE. It's their game. LEC only promotes it. Do you think Lucas films deals with defective Hasbro Star Wars toys? They don't. But they do spend some of their own advertising dollars to promote the products based on their IP.

No, I don't think they deal with defective toys, but if they decide that the Chewbaca action figure looks better in a pink dress with a red basket, it's their right to change it.  The community that loves star wars so much and buys these toys for their kids would be in an outrage, Chewbaca is a wookie, a tough creature of sheer power, he doesn't belong in a dress, we won't buy this crap.  LEC responds, we don't care, we like the cuter and more cuddly Chewy, he stays.  Their toy sales go into the dumper, people toss out their old toys, no longer needing upgraded blasters and utility belts and Millenium Falcon toys to go with their Chewy.  Sales are down, the community is mad, no one subscribes to Star Wars action figure collecting any more.  This is what happened to SWG in a nut shell, I can't think that SOE would honestly make this change, take a huge hit on their game and not at least use their learnings and drift back to some semblance of the old ways.  I am just saying it seems like SOE probably doesn't take as much fault as one would think.  Take for example Vanguard, the agreement between Sigil and SOE is that Sigil maintains IP rights, SOE puts their label on the box and runs the servers, more or less.  If Sigil makes a change, folks might be quick to dump that change on SOE, but it may in fact be Sigil that did it and due to their agreement, SOE can not "blame" the bed fellow they publish the game with.  This is of course just food for thought because the fact remains that someone flew the death star over the SWG universe and blasted it.  The good news is, even though a million voices cried out in pain, they were not silenced. image

PS.  The game as it stands now seems that it needs a title change to "Star Wars: Battlefront Online" because it sure plays like battlefront and not like any other MMO.  I guess that's where my suspicions lie with the game changes.....

There was a reason SOE took the chance. They were never at risk of losing the licensing for the current SWG, they were betting on getting the development licensing for the second SW MMO, now in development by another unnamed company. The NGE failed to impress the players or LEC. LEC tried to promote it on TV but it was no good, the game was still the buggy POS it always has been, even worse. LEC has now taken a step back from most of their connection with SWG by shoving people off their boards who complain about it and sending them to SOE. SOE has stated it was totally their idea many many times and that some really smart guys had an idea and took a chance. It failed and now they admit it (see the most recent dev rant) They honestly thought they could turn the game around. Sure they knew it would make some people mad but ultimately they thought people would return to play it and realize it was better than ever. They moved fast because the bids were in and the game development needed to be started very soon to launch in conjunction with the new TV series in the works by Lucas Films. Major development of the new SW MMO title started late December of last year. The game is supposed to launch Q4 of 07, 2 years in development sped up by the acquisition of a game engine that has most of the development bells and whistles built in such as billing, customer service, ect.  I assume by Q2 of 07 you will hear who it is who is building it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    SWG earned the sweep. It's not even just from the debacle of pushing the nge.

At face value, playing the game today without any pryor gameplay, it earned every single award.

The nge not only destroyed the playerbase, but the game that SWG is now is unfun, bug ridden and empty. If the NGE was thought of as a good idea at $OE.. I'd hate to see what they think are bad ones.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• BrucknerBruckner Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

(Sorry to both of you who still play DnL!)

Luh-mow!

Seriously, I really miss the old SWG.  Even after the CU I adapted and learned to play with the changes, because I loved the world.  After the NGE though I couldn't even recognize the fun game I used to play as it was then outfitted with a shiny layer of crap.

It's like a guy who mows lawns for a living.  He cuts all the lawns in the neighborhood, and has a really booming business.  He's really great at mowing and trimming.  Then one day, he starts to cut designs in your yard, kinda funky, like a basball field or something, and you think "hey, that's different, but I can live with it".  Then a week later, he dumps gravel all over your front yard and tells you "it's the new rage in landscaping!"  You say, "Piss off, I'm not paying for this crap", but he continues to pour gravel on your neighbor's house, because they bought into the "gravel is the new grass" fad.

Sadly, I'd be willing to bet that SOE feels that they're somehow being "revolutionary" in their design and continues to perpetuate it to be different and unique in a marketplace full of many games that provide what we as consumers want to play.  Well, we vote with our wallets, and there's only so many lawns they can continue to dump gravel on before they run out of the green stuff to continue to pay their employees and maintain their servers.  IMHO, the sooner the better.

Here's hoping that a new Bioware Star Wars MMO is in the making soon.

• ValorusValorus Member Posts: 235
    I tend to agree with you.  My take on the whole SWG situation is that SOE doesnt feel it needs to change one thing it doesnt want to.  SOE has long had the mentalitiy that it's their game and they know what is best for their game no matter what the fans say. They do it to just about every game they have even if in the end the most stupid person on earth could see what they did as a mistake they will never change it back - maybe it's a pride thing on the part of the people who run SOE.  Afterall they do think they know what we all want in a game.
  • jwshaw88jwshaw88 Member Posts: 149

Originally posted by tillamook There was a reason SOE took the chance. They were never at risk of losing the licensing for the current SWG, they were betting on getting the development licensing for the second SW MMO, now in development by another unnamed company. The NGE failed to impress the players or LEC. LEC tried to promote it on TV but it was no good, the game was still the buggy POS it always has been, even worse. LEC has now taken a step back from most of their connection with SWG by shoving people off their boards who complain about it and sending them to SOE. SOE has stated it was totally their idea many many times and that some really smart guys had an idea and took a chance. It failed and now they admit it (see the most recent dev rant) They honestly thought they could turn the game around. Sure they knew it would make some people mad but ultimately they thought people would return to play it and realize it was better than ever. They moved fast because the bids were in and the game development needed to be started very soon to launch in conjunction with the new TV series in the works by Lucas Films. Major development of the new SW MMO title started late December of last year. The game is supposed to launch Q4 of 07, 2 years in development sped up by the acquisition of a game engine that has most of the development bells and whistles built in such as billing, customer service, ect.  I assume by Q2 of 07 you will hear who it is who is building it.

Ahhh, got ya.  I guess I could have been more studied on the topic and I was actually playing the game when the changes went live to the test server.  There was just such a flurry of hate posts and flames and so on, that it was really hard to fully decipher who was actually doing what.  It seemed like the proverbial finger was pointed so many times that before long no one knew who was pointing at who when the dust settled.  Regardless, if that's the true reason for such an upheaval to the gaming community within SWG, just for a bid on a new game contract, then I'm glad they lost it.  I get a vision of the mobility guru, an offshoot of tomshardware.com, where the guy has a column lovingly entitled "who designed this crap".  I was certainly asking that while playing on the test server.  I was so disgusted with it, I cancelled my account without even logging back to the live server.  I just didn't think that SOE could or would so blatently change the game in that manner, but I guess I was wrong on that.  I have not had any overly bad experiences with EQ and EQ2 to be honest.  Everyone has ups and downs with customer service, bugs and nerfs, but overall, I haven't seen any debilitating changes to those games and figured that they would generally provide a similar level of support for each game under the SOE umbrella.  As far as Vanguard is concerned as someone else posted.  I already have issues with that game even before SOE has that much of a say in their design.  I guess that is another game I'll toss on the don't buy list. image

• rgdeltargdelta Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by fansede
    No surpirse - The members have no love for SWG. When it first came out I had no qualms with it, as everyone else. I had no idea it was loathed that much though..
    I loved SWG during development and on release but SOE has done nothing but ruin the game with Combat Upgrade and now the NGE the New Game Experiance or as I call it the Nausiated Game Experiance.  They took a game with good death and make it into a mindless FPS style that takes no skills or brains to play.

• dookseiddookseid Member Posts: 282
    I don't wanna just jump on the SOE SWG bandwagon here,  as there were several deserving games in those categories this year.  But when you are SOE and you burn the fans playing a game,  the first thing to do would be get them some water wouldn't you think??  Instead,  they pulled out their biggest "blowhards" and fanned the flames.  Many of us got really crispy.  Keeping NGE around is like forcing us to look at the scars in a mirror.image
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    I think there should be a new category:  "Largest trailing baggage."  Heh, this one I would agree with SWG winning image

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

The difference between SWG and all the other sorry games that were mentioned, is simply the massive scale of the screw-up.   Yes DnL sucked, yes DDO did a horrible job with the IP, but none of them even approached the magnitude of failure that SOE wrought down on the gameplaying public and the single biggest IP of all time. 

It has been a disastrous year for MMO's, and I agree with Dan that with any luck none of those stinkers will be around next year... image

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

Originally posted by Obraik
    I think there should be a new category:  "Largest trailing baggage."  Heh, this one I would agree with SWG winning image

The truth shall set you free!1 SWG is awful, how many more articles, polls and what not will you need to see before you agree? Or do you just plug your ears and go LALALALALALALA!

SWG Bloodfin vet

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926
    Interesting read I wonder if soe will proudly display this award? Or if all publicity is good publicity?

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

The statue for this "award" should be that of a bronzed polished turd.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

The truth shall set you free!1 SWG is awful, how many more articles, polls and what not will you need to see before you agree? Or do you just plug your ears and go LALALALALALALA!

Personal experinence is much more valuable to me then what a bunch of ex-players on a personal vendetta think ;)

Personal experinence is much more valuable to me then what a bunch of ex-players on a personal vendetta think ;)

Some of us have just as much if not more experience in MMOs and SWG than you. Most of played the NGE in all its various stages. The results I felt are accurate. Even developers from other companies agree, hell even SOE and Smed agree. Do your own poll here on MMORPG.com if you feel the results are skewed but I’m sure you will come up with the same results.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Dark and Light (DnL) is a disaster from top to bottom.  DnL IS NOT A GAME, IT IS A FINANCIAL SCAM DISGUISED AS A GAME.  It would have won the vote totals if more people had fallen for the scam.  Luckily for everyone, the scam only hit several hundred people.   Hence, on it's own, it should have won every category.  Anyone who actually bought the "game" (er, scam) understands just how truly horrible the experience is.  Words simply fail at describing the disaster that is DnL. Earning the lowest official review rating of all time is one sign just how bad it is, but even then the 4.0 rating was too generous. The scam operators work out of a small island in the Indian Ocean to avoid jail time and scam victims coming to thier offices to beat the crap out of them.

SWG, on the other hand, had far more subscribers and hence the changes by SOE impacted more players, hence more votes.  Thus, from a magnitude of impact on the MMO community, SWG wins hands down on most categories. I avoid SOE games because of their bad reputation, and hence avoided SWG just on that advice.  Looks like I made the right choice.  Going forward, I think SOE needs to focus on helping other developers manage the technical aspects of launching a game, but avoid direct management and development of a game.  Any game where the development decisions are handled by SOE, I simply will not play.

Finally, a personal thanks to Dan Fortier for bringing the publicity to these disasters.  I hope that the developers of other games start taking notice that they will have a lot of bad publicity if they continue to mistreat the gaming community by making tremendous changes in existing games or release games that are broken (or are an outright scam like DnL).  Perhaps creating a top 10 list of things NOT to do as a game developer might help, and thus anytime a game developer violates those magic rules, we can bash them over the head heard on future columns.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by tillamook Nope, it was SOE. It's their game. LEC only promotes it. Do you think Lucas films deals with defective Hasbro Star Wars toys? They don't. But they do spend some of their own advertising dollars to promote the products based on their IP.

There was a reason SOE took the chance. They were never at risk of losing the licensing for the current SWG, they were betting on getting the development licensing for the second SW MMO, now in development by another unnamed company. The NGE failed to impress the players or LEC. LEC tried to promote it on TV but it was no good, the game was still the buggy POS it always has been, even worse. LEC has now taken a step back from most of their connection with SWG by shoving people off their boards who complain about it and sending them to SOE. SOE has stated it was totally their idea many many times and that some really smart guys had an idea and took a chance. It failed and now they admit it (see the most recent dev rant) They honestly thought they could turn the game around. Sure they knew it would make some people mad but ultimately they thought people would return to play it and realize it was better than ever. They moved fast because the bids were in and the game development needed to be started very soon to launch in conjunction with the new TV series in the works by Lucas Films. Major development of the new SW MMO title started late December of last year. The game is supposed to launch Q4 of 07, 2 years in development sped up by the acquisition of a game engine that has most of the development bells and whistles built in such as billing, customer service, ect.  I assume by Q2 of 07 you will hear who it is who is building it.

The only thing I have seen them admit was that they released it in a purely craptastic fashion, and given the opportunity to do it over again they would still go ahead with the NGE but with more notice and less underhanded tactics.  Now, this was months and months ago that I read that, where is the dev rant that they admit the NGE is a failure?  I am by no means a fan of the NGE nor am I trolling you, I would just like to see the dev rant so as to add a quote to my sig on the SOE forums :)  Thanks in advance

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    Hehe, I was feeling weird, never agreed with the hordes once.  But, I just saw that the very same happen to Dan himself!  And sometimes I agree with Dan, so I guess I feel less weird now!  image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    This thread could never be taken seriously....also many of the reviews on this site cannot be taken seriously. The reason I say that is because of people who post and haven't played a game (much or at all). Sadly enough, it becomes "cool" to flame or support a certain game, whether you have tried said game or not. In the same respect, it becomes popular to say a game is good, even if its not. I mean really look at some of the votes in this thread:

Worst graphics: SWG&DDO were popular responses....did these games really look worse than DnL or Carpe Diem? WoW was also a big contender here....Can someone explain to me why people think cartoony graphics=bad graphics....that's just silly

Worst use of a franchise: SWG & DDO again...but did these games really suck more than MxO???? I think not. As I posted before SWG was once a great MMO, MxO has great and unique MMO potential but the game launched as a failure and never recovered.

These are just a couple of examples...more proof of my point can be found in the game ratings...
    "I'm giving this game a 3...because the screenshots look bad."....if the screenies are all you have to judge on you shouldn't post a rating.
    "This game gets a 1, because I couldn't even install it."....so because of your shitty comp, or your inability to follow instructions-the game sucks???
    "1. This game sucks." ....based on what?
    These are generalizations, but I'm sure you guys have seen stuff like this.
    For a real example one rater actually posted this...."I haven't played this, but I give it a 1"....If you haven't played don't post a rating.

I see this stuff all the time and quite frankly its what keeps this site from being the best. Maybe I'm the only one who has seen this or the only one it bothers.

I should post this as a new thread and see what kinda responses I get I wanna hear from you guys.

Originally posted by severius

Nope, it was SOE. It's their game. LEC only promotes it. Do you think Lucas films deals with defective Hasbro Star Wars toys? They don't. But they do spend some of their own advertising dollars to promote the products based on their IP.

The only thing I have seen them admit was that they released it in a purely craptastic fashion, and given the opportunity to do it over again they would still go ahead with the NGE but with more notice and less underhanded tactics.  Now, this was months and months ago that I read that, where is the dev rant that they admit the NGE is a failure?  I am by no means a fan of the NGE nor am I trolling you, I would just like to see the dev rant so as to add a quote to my sig on the SOE forums :)  Thanks in advance

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10830    "Don't make our mistakes."

SWG Bloodfin vet

• SolanarSolanar Member UncommonPosts: 188
    DnL ftw!

*flamesuit... internets suit instead*

Actually, I log onto DnL once a month. I dl all the patches, I laugh at the forums regulary. Join me, it's fun. Oh and I got a refund from that stupid thing about getting charged money last month, so haha to all who didn't. Bah humbug.

I LUVS DARK ANDS LOIGHTORS.

?played: Nearly everything.
    ?waiting: *Darkfall*, Hero''s Journey

This discussion has been closed.