Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have to say this about Auto Assault...

0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

I played during beta--for about 10 hours total--and hated it. I got a post-beta trial offer, which I tried for about 2 hours and hated it again. Finally, the other day, I thought what the hell--maybe the third time will be the charm (okay, I was bored). Well, I'm still playing--averaging several hours a day with my mutie avenger and having a great time.

For those who've stuck with it--kudos!

For those who've thought about the game or are looking for something different--it won't kill you to try the trial. Afterall, it's free.

I will say, though, the game is not that easy to get into right away. In that respect it reminds me a bit of EVE Online. The tutorial is not great, the controls can take some getting used to as can the various equipment and character options. But give it a few hours, ask for help if you need to, and keep trying. Also, if you're experiencing any lag at all, turn down your graphics. For this game to be fun, the scenery literally needs to fly past to give you that feeling of speed.

It's a fun game--go run over someone today!

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

Comments

• HeLL_SNXHeLL_SNX Member Posts: 239
    It would be good to know (for some) what put you off from the game initially and what has changed since then that makes you enjoy it now.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?
    AUTO ASSAULT 14 DAY TRIAL
    "It is the nature of herds that they flock to where there are more of the same not more quality."

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by HeLL_SNX
    It would be good to know (for some) what put you off from the game initially and what has changed since then that makes you enjoy it now.

A good point.

During the beta it was just too slow--loads of lag and the whole post-apocalyptic-driving-killing thing wasn't working for me (I was also playing another game at the time that I was paying for).

The first trial I tried it didn't seem any better with the lag, and I honestly didn't give it much time since I felt I'd already given it a chance in beta.

The third time (this time), I'm not really sure what's different. The game seems much faster (I know some will say, 'Yeah, because there's no one playing' but that's not really the issue). More likely there is less lag (most of the time) and I also tuned down the graphics.

Why do I like it this time better than before? I think more than anything it has to do with what I happened to be looking for right now than the game itself. There are various things that have improved since launch to be sure--but this is a niche game. If the concept doesn't appeal it's probably not going to be fun for you. Unlike a more generic fantasy game, it's hard to just go along with it since the concept is quite different.

But if you're in the mood for a fast-paced semi-mindless shoot-em-up, the game's quite fun. And if you're looking for some pretty decent crafting, the game is also fun. If you like quests and a storyline, likewise, the game is fun. But overall--you have to want to be in a driving game and shooting things.

In terms of the game's reception, I think many people didn't know what to expect because it was different. If someone says they're making a fantasy games, we all have an idea of how that will look and work. This game stands apart in that respect. It has the potential to grow--maybe only slowly for a while--if it's given a chance. For me, I see a lot of similarities with EVE Online--it's a different sort of concept, it's an original story, the playstyle is different, it's not dumbed down, it's for a niche market, and it's going to require time before it really comes into its own.

It's a fun game now, and if the devs are given the time and resources to continue development, it could be a great game in the future.

• ElenosElenos Member UncommonPosts: 73

It's a fun game now, and if the devs are given the time and resources to continue development, it could be a great game in the future.
    That's exactly the thing which keeps me from getting an account. I'm too afraid it'll end up like Asheron's Call II or any other MMO which was good, but not enough to keep or attract people.
    And that's why I don't want to invest time on a game which will perhaps close in the next 6 months :(

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

I just recently started playing Auto Assault, and I am loving it.

Its fast, destructive, and very loud. Its definetely my type of game.

Also it seems way mroe casual oriented than most games.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by Cexyre

That's exactly the thing which keeps me from getting an account. I'm too afraid it'll end up like Asheron's Call II or any other MMO which was good, but not enough to keep or attract people.
    And that's why I don't want to invest time on a game which will perhaps close in the next 6 months :(

I wouldn't let that stop me, personally. I've found that I don't tend to play any MMO for more than six months at most (and in fact usually only about 3 months). The only exception was pre-cu SWG (but that was my first subscribed MMO).

It is very casual friendly. Not sure what sort of player category I'd fall into (powergamer, etc.), but after 6 days of play I have a level 40 mutant avenger and a level 8 biomek I just started last night. It took me about 2 months to reach cap in WoW with a troll hunter on a pvp server, for what that's worth.

Every game I figure I have fun in for as long as I play it. Whether I leave because it folds or I stop having fun doesn't really matter, nor does the time matter much unless it's less than the time I've paid for. Besides, if you make some friends in the game, you can usually game together again elsewhere.

• LughsanLughsan Member Posts: 312
    I stopped playing because the rampant imbalances between race/classes wasn't fixed soon enough..
  • redheroredhero Member Posts: 6
    I gave up because I didn't like the controls. =(
  • suskesuske Member Posts: 714

my entire clan quit. can you say too many changes too quick? can you say nge?

at least holocron is making a new sandboximage

OKay a few responses to you all!

1> "I gave up cos I didn't like the controls"...image

Not really sure how to respond to this one. Do you mean you weren't able to customise the controls or you just unhappy with the layout?

2> "its gonna fold so there isn't any point in playing"...image

Well a typical negative response there. Totally unbacked by any sort of fact aswell. I mean I can't say its DEFINATELY NOT going to fold. I guess most games do eventually. But the fact that they just released UPDATE 4 on the Public Test Server with an Auction House and ingame Mail system says to me they are very serious about backing this game.

3> "I gave up because of factional imbalances"..

Well good news for you then cos they are introducing a new 10 point skill system. All skills will be reduced to 10 ranks with each rank costing 1 point. Level 80 skills will be 1 rank costing 10 points. This will be the same across all factions. All MKI and MKII ornaments and _FActional, +Speciality and +SKill enhancments are being dropped. Followed by a skill balancing phase.

Thats should sort out the factional imbalances.

This is a very bold move by the devs and could force some away. But ultimately, I tink it will bring more back than those that leave.

UPDATE 4 on PTS NOW!

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?
    "It is the nature of herds that they flock to where there are more of the same not more quality."

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

Downloaded the free trial this morning and after about an hour and a half of patching...

just some honest first impressions...

The opening trailer was pretty cool...

But...

My head hurts from trying to read the small fonts in the mission pop ups.   I eventually started clicking "accept" for each mission offered realizing i just had to follow arrows.   After getting outside and heading towards my first kill mission my car stopped in place.   I could still rotate my turret and fire but was completely motionless.   After several failed attempts to move my machine gun stuck in the on position.   Chat was still functioning... my connection to the internet was still intact.   I managed to find the button that summoned the big "INC" hover thingy to pull me to the nearest repair station... and was on my way again.    When I got to the first player city (found it by chance)  I was a little disapointed at how you exited your vehicle.   Zone... and "poof" you were walking.   Which brings me to another complaint..,. Zoning.   I left EQ 2 for excessive Zoning.   Something I personally can't stand.   I hit the space bar to jump a jersey barrier in the city and was stuck in the "forever falling" position (quite comical) this remedied itself after I zoned back out (and into my car).   So I headed towards my next mission (following the arrows).   Combat so far to me has been very unfullfilling.   Hitting zombie guys and hearing the same scream over and over and the same machine gun rattling off...continuously and then there is the droning of the engine.   The "killing spree" was a nice arcade style touch but by this point I was getting so annoyed with the sound that I turned it off (the sound) using the audio settings.   I returned to the game (now silenced) for about 2 minutes when the game minimized for a moment... then mysteriously returned to full screen.    A few seconds later  the game crashed.  

And here I am.

In the games defense I haven't enjoyed any kind of "car kill destroy" game since playing the Twisted Metal series on the playstation.    This is not really my cup of tea.   The Trial is free and relatively easy to set up so don' t let my crabby first impressions steer you away from at least trying it.

I'm gonna go get some aspirin.

• maxpfaffmaxpfaff Member Posts: 42
    seems not much has changed since alpha ^^

Originally posted by ValiumSummer :
    Downloaded the free trial this morning and after about an hour and a half of patching...
    just some honest first impressions...
    The opening trailer was pretty cool...
    But...
    My head hurts from trying to read the small fonts in the mission pop ups. I eventually started clicking "accept" for each mission offered realizing i just had to follow arrows. After getting outside and heading towards my first kill mission my car stopped in place. I could still rotate my turret and fire but was completely motionless. After several failed attempts to move my machine gun stuck in the on position. Chat was still functioning... my connection to the internet was still intact. I managed to find the button that summoned the big "INC" hover thingy to pull me to the nearest repair station... and was on my way again. When I got to the first player city (found it by chance) I was a little disapointed at how you exited your vehicle. Zone... and "poof" you were walking. Which brings me to another complaint..,. Zoning. I left EQ 2 for excessive Zoning. Something I personally can't stand. I hit the space bar to jump a jersey barrier in the city and was stuck in the "forever falling" position (quite comical) this remedied itself after I zoned back out (and into my car). So I headed towards my next mission (following the arrows). Combat so far to me has been very unfullfilling. Hitting zombie guys and hearing the same scream over and over and the same machine gun rattling off...continuously and then there is the droning of the engine. The "killing spree" was a nice arcade style touch but by this point I was getting so annoyed with the sound that I turned it off (the sound) using the audio settings. I returned to the game (now silenced) for about 2 minutes when the game minimized for a moment... then mysteriously returned to full screen. A few seconds later the game crashed.
    And here I am.
    In the games defense I haven't enjoyed any kind of "car kill destroy" game since playing the Twisted Metal series on the playstation. This is not really my cup of tea. The Trial is free and relatively easy to set up so don' t let my crabby first impressions steer you away from at least trying it.
    I'm gonna go get some aspirin.p

Thanks for the honest feedback.
    A couple of things I can suggest as 'fixes' to some of AA's control problems.
    The guns getting stuck thing.
    2 ways to fix this.
    1> Right click ONCE again.
    If this doesn't stop it then;

2>OPen up your cargo (I) and unequip your weapon to your cargo, then re-equip it.
    I know its annoying. I play the game with sound off primarily.

Not because of this problem but it also increases framerate for some reason.
    Also, the turret wep has an auto lock feature. It basically auto targets whoever last shot at you.
    This can be disabled in the menu.
    Another way is to hit ESC to un-engage from a target.
    Hitting TAB will auto lock the next target nearest to you.
    SOunds like you had some movement problems in your chassis?
    SOmetimes a chassis will annoyingly get stuck on stupid stuff like rubble. Usually fixed once rubble fades away.
    But I know of a problem where you can be going pretty fast and wham...you are motionless...yeh this needs to be fixed.
    Hitting the Bounce (B) button fixes this immediately.

There are a couple of speed bugs still lurking in there.
    AA still has a bit of a leaky memory problem too unfortunately. Its a LOT better than it was in Beta (and maybe Alpha too), but this means after a while your system may start to lag a bit. Its not the same for all, some suffer more than others. Relogging solves the problem, but again it doesn't sound good to any new potential players. I can honestly say though as someone who's been playing for a while now that its a lot better and is constantly improving.

Also as I already stated, disabling sound sorts out the framerate problems a lot and I much prefer to listen to my winamp playlist anyway.image
    The 'matrix' style hovering in town thing; lol...I find that amusing tbh..it doesn't always happen and Imoving about in town can be less monotonous when it does.
    I wouldn't say the game has excessive zoning, as the maps are quite large. But yes, if you are going from town to town looking for a trainer or a specific item from a vendor, you will be zoning (you can INC aswell for a small fee-and if you can't afford it , it is free) a few times.
    Hope you continue to give this game a shot>
    MAybe you are more into PVE than PVP in which case I would say the game ends at level 80. Otherwise, if its PVP you are after, the game actually starts at level 60 onwards and the missions are just a way to get you there.
    Either way I know it definately gets more enjoyable as you progress.
    Cya in the wastelandsimage

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

what auto assault could have been...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1N2xeZxTU

a great idea for a game, just had dev chat in irc, official site will be updated soon.

7000 square km map with NO INSTANCES

almost everything is craftable

tons of weapons from knives to machine guns

probably the most down to earth devs ever.

Yeh that looks kool if you want to be on foot (or horses) a lot.

AA is a driving game.

NIce link tho.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• TehDungTehDung Member Posts: 23
    Currently Dling and Patching AA as we speak, i'll let you guys know my first impressions afterwards.  And that link, the game looks pretty fun and i'll probly try that too  but anyways thanks for the link, and hoping to see you guys in AA.

Originally posted by HeLL_SNX

Yeh that looks kool if you want to be on foot (or horses) a lot.

AA is a driving game.

NIce link tho.
    do not ask about captain pouches. there is no wombat.
  • iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by suske

what auto assault could have been...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1N2xeZxTU
    a great idea for a game, just had dev chat in irc, official site will be updated soon.
    7000 square km map with NO INSTANCES
    almost everything is craftable
    tons of weapons from knives to machine guns
    probably the most down to earth devs ever.
    That game looks freaking amazing! War-what?

-iCeh

OKay getting slightly off topic now...

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    My mate was so stoked about getting the game because he's into machines and things lol...but anyways, he decided to play the trial and got the shock of his life lol. He said he got EXTREMELY bored. I can't say I agree or anything because I haven't played the game. I might try it for myself and see if I like it
    hehe..depends on what his expectations were I guess...

You shouldn't expect too much at the early levels.

Especially as a trial player, you won;t get to seee above level 20 I think which is where the fun and danger starts.

If you are into PVP, and doing the 14 day trial, you aren't going to get a sniff of PVP so be warned!

You could jump into the arena I guess, but thats nothing like the Ground Zero COntested PVP map.

if you want a challenge, select a MUtant or a Biomek.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• TikigodTikigod Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Cexyre

Well look at 'Jumpgate', Netdevils original MMO.

Now a old MMO hitting it's 6th year of retail and a online player base of about 70-80 peak busy time, and 10-15 off peak, yet Netdevil are still running it, it gets added new content being developed and patches monthly (except for recently due to a unexpected bug holding back the latest build I believe), and recently in the press Netdevil CEO stated that Jumpgate will be receiving a graphics update....

Auto Assault's time of questioning it's life span is far far away my friend,  ask again toward the end of 2008

You don't think there's anything amiss? I'm sat here wearing a red and white gingham dress, and army boots, you think that's un-amiss?

• Alec_StormAlec_Storm Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I play AA and enjoy it, I started playing about a month after release and didn't even finish my first month before cancelling...not because I thought the game sucked, but I did find it kind of boring at times.  I reactivated my account last month and have been playing it pretty regularly since and, for the most part, enjoying it.

Like some (or many) of the players I worry about the longetivity of the game and the low server pop but I'm not so worried about it anymore.  It's a niche game and they know it and it's not the only game they have that's a niche game.

I look forward to updates fixing the game and adding content at all levels of the game but since nothing is ever certain I'm just going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.  For my toons their "life" will probably end at 80 because I'm only somewhat interested in PvP and have heard nothing by negative comments about the PvP in AA (major class/faction imbalance, intentional desynching, poor rewards vs risk).  Another reason their life will likely end at 80 is crafting.  Normally I'm very interested in the crafting aspect of a game and AA was no different but since it is (from what I understand reading the AA boards and in-game faction chat) still a buggy mess and worthless towards endgame because anything you can craft at the higher end sucks compared to loot drops.  Hmm, I suppose the endgame crafting is pretty much like most (but not all) mmo's out there after all...

My main reason for wanting to play and once again playing AA is because I enjoy sci-fi and think fantasy is boring and WAY overdone and while there is a plethora of fantasy games there are few sci-fi mmo's and even fewer that are worth playing...AA is one of the few that is worth playing, imho.

Originally posted by Alec_Storm
    I look forward to updates fixing the game and adding content at all levels of the game but since nothing is ever certain I'm just going to enjoy the ride while it lasts. For my toons their "life" will probably end at 80 because I'm only somewhat interested in PvP and have heard nothing by negative comments about the PvP in AA (major class/faction imbalance, intentional desynching, poor rewards vs risk).

Update 4 will be the deciding factor for many players including a lot of the veterans.
    ND have been working hard on this next update (4) so much so that they have gone quiet from the boards even. REcently tho Zzyn has made a few comments and dropped some hints as to what to expect from the next update. It will still have to go through PTS first, therefore getting the players feedback on it before it hits live.
    All of the negative pvp aspects you mention above are supposedly fixed in this next update so hopefully you will become more interested in pvp and therefore the endgame.

Another reason their life will likely end at 80 is crafting. Normally I'm very interested in the crafting aspect of a game and AA was no different but since it is (from what I understand reading the AA boards and in-game faction chat) still a buggy mess and worthless towards endgame because anything you can craft at the higher end sucks compared to loot drops. Hmm, I suppose the endgame crafting is pretty much like most (but not all) mmo's out there after all...

The thing about crafting is (and I'm only just realising this myself) altho as you said you can't really craft better items than those that drop atm, crafting is STILL essential.

WHY?

Because for instance, a perfect build that incorporates all the little damage ,accuracy and defense modifying enhancments..will need to be crafted to fit into your build.
    You can of course just run with dropped items, but you will never truly have the edge over those who do run with crafted setups. EVEN if you have BM/WM gear.
    Therefore, crafting is still very important. Its just not the be all and end all of weps.
    Its more about modding your equipment.

My main reason for wanting to play and once again playing AA is because I enjoy sci-fi and think fantasy is boring and WAY overdone and while there is a plethora of fantasy games there are few sci-fi mmo's and even fewer that are worth playing...AA is one of the few that is worth playing, imho.

Agreed.

Cya in the wastelands!

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?